The One True Monthly Top 10 List - August/September

  • Craig Massey
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2002
      A bit late as a result of Labor Day I know, but its
      clearly worth it. Due to the huge amount of
      controversy caused by last months attempted musical
      analogies, I will probably avoid trying something
      similar, but when the muse strikes. Besides, I found
      out more about people's musical tastes than I care to
      think about in my monthly fan mail letters. A few
      examples.....

      Mark Edwards is a really serious Neil Diamond fan.
      Matt Horn pines for a strip club where girls dance to
      Roy Acuff and Mac Davis among others.
      Richard Spoonts has a thing for Pat Boone
      Pitt Crandlemire chastised me for not analogizing
      games to his favorite singer Axl Rose
      David Fontes overwhelmed me with the larger than
      expected discography of Harold Faltermeyer.
      Jenn B groused that a year into the marriage and she
      is already sick of listening to Dave playing Banarama
      records over and over.
      Campbell dispite his Scottish heritage prefers Zamfir
      over any bagpipe music.

      To these and everyone who wrote me trying to compare
      their favorites to a game, thanks - I'll save this
      great stuff for another month. Onto this months list.
      As always, this list is the games that I enjoyed most
      over the previous month.

      10. Puerto Rico - This is the time of the year when
      things fade and wind down - summer, the Sox, the lawn
      and now Puerto Rico. The game has proven to have
      staying power for me, but I'm fairly burned out on it
      for now having played it a ton in the last month or
      so.

      9. Lost Cities - Quick and easy - both in terms of a
      game in general as well as a description of what its
      like to beat Richard at this game.

      8. Klunker - The forgotten Uwe Rosenberg game. This
      came out after Bohnanza, but you almost never hear of
      people playing it. Plenty consider it too luck
      driven, but as Pitt said after his victory there is
      plenty of scope for skillful play. He's right,
      qualifying this game for the title of underrated.

      7. Don - Also in the category of underrated,
      especially for those who like auction games. This
      game has little in the way of theme, but some clever
      auction mechanisms. This is a much better game than
      Pizzaro & Co.

      6. Stage II - An excellent trivia game where you don't
      need to be a trivia master to play well and win.

      5. Giganten - The game has great bits - maybe the best
      of any game in the last several years. You almost
      never hear about this one getting played. After
      sitting on my shelf for 3 years, I finally broke the
      shrink on my copy.

      4. La Citta - I think Andrew and I might be the
      largest local fans of this game (correct me if I'm
      wrong Andrew). Length scares some away, but
      needlessly so. Not only does this make the list on
      the strength of the game, but when playing it a few
      weeks back, I was amazed and dumbfounded to watch Pitt
      completely control the race for last place with his
      first move.

      3. The Napoleonic Wars - The first new game on this
      months list. Check out the SR I posted last week for
      details. For those looking for a mini monsters, this
      comes highly recommended.

      2. Hammer of the Scots - Another new game on this
      months list. This uses the battles between William
      Wallace and Edward I for a terrific block game - the
      best that I have played.

      1. Die Sieben Wiessen - In the category of games that
      I'm really sorry I waited to try until recently is Die
      Sieben Wiessen. I'll be pushing this one as often as
      possible now.

      That's all for now. Keep the fan mail coming!

      Craig

      =====
      Craig W. Massey
      cwmassey@...

      http://finance.yahoo.com
    • Richard Spoonts
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2002
        --- Craig Massey <cwmassey@...> wrote:
        > Pitt Crandlemire chastised me for not analogizing
        > games to his favorite singer Axl Rose

        Isn't it great that G'n'R are getting back together?
        I may have to start wearing my infamous headband...

        Richard

        http://finance.yahoo.com