SR: SSG

  • Eric Shultz
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2002
      Since Dave B. is still busy with his new house, I
      thought I'd do him a big favor and post a session
      report for our gaming tonight. There will be many
      gaps and details missing, for reasons that may become
      clear.

      Attendance: Dave B., Dave F., David, Pete, and Eric.
      I do not know all the last names, yet. Sorry.

      The first game was called Rheinlanders, I believe.
      I'm probably misspelling it. Peter had not arrived,
      so it was just the four of us. The game involves
      putting down knights (little cardboard shields) on
      numbered spaces along a river (one would guess the
      Rhein. Again, I'm probably misspelling). There are
      numbered spaces, churches, and castles along the way
      that help with scoring. Basically, it's a territory
      game where two opposing territories can merge and the
      smaller loses out.

      Interestingly enough, there were no territory
      conflicts. David captured some high numbered spaces.
      Dave B. built a huge territory on the other side of
      the river waiting to cross and take over, but never
      got the chance. Dave F. and I diversified a little,
      coming close to each other but not fighting.

      In the end, I won with 41 points. David had about 35.
      The two Daves were in the 20s or below, I think.

      **********

      Pete arrived for the second game, which was Call My
      Bluff. Almost every round became a battle of the
      stars as bids were quickly turned away from numbers to
      stars. Pete managed to do almost everyone in with a
      couple of exact calls.

      In the end, it was Dave B's one die to my two, and I
      had the bid. I ended up winning - again.

      **********

      The last game of the evening was Wizard, which seems
      to be the Official Game of South Shore Gamers. It is
      the game that generates the most trash talking, with
      Dave B. and I doing most of it. I wanted to get a
      real accurate counting of the scores for this game,
      but the score sheet somehow disappeared quickly for
      this game.

      What I remember most is my end of the game, of course.
      I seemed to get good cards for taking tricks, but had
      a hard time figuring how many tricks. I don't think I
      was under on any bids, but went over two or three
      times. On one hand, with 9 cards I believe, I bid 4
      and ended up taking 6. As a result, I looked a little
      like this year's Red Sox - in and out of the race.

      David gained points steadily, and was leading towards
      the end. On the last round, I had 220, and David had
      something like 260 or 270. I needed to make a 4 bid
      and for David not to make his bid, which is what
      happened. I managed to squeeze out a victory with a
      little luck and a lot of recklessness. David was just
      behind. Peter and Dave F. were also fairly close.
      They were both in the 200s, I think. Dave B. - not as
      close.

      ************

      Oh, wait. We played a game before Wizard. I believe
      it was called Olympia 2000 B.C. (or the German
      equivalent). A fun little game where you have athlete
      cards competing in events. I didn't win this one,
      which is why it probably got lost in the euphoric blur
      of my three other victories this evening. Dave B. did
      manage to scrape out the win on this game, based on
      some previous knowlege and obviously lucky cards.

      http://finance.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2002
        Eric Shultz <swift_4@...> wrote:

        >Attendance: Dave B., Dave F., David, Pete, and Eric.

        Nice report Eric!

        >The last game of the evening was Wizard,
        >which seems to be the Official Game
        >of South Shore Gamers. It is the game
        >that generates the most trash talking, with
        >Dave B. and I doing most of it.

        No doubt! This game has really grown on me - I think we've
        played it every week pretty much for the past few months. It's a
        great game - and now entrenched as one of my top 10.

        >I wanted to get a
        >real accurate counting of the scores
        >for this game, but the score sheet
        >somehow disappeared quickly for
        >this game.

        I'll state for the record that Eric had a remarkable final few
        turns. Bidding 4 on the last 3 consecutive turns and making 2 of
        those bids (and missing the other by just one card - one too many
        that is!). It was a great comeback to take the win from David
        who looked like he was on cruise control late into the game.

        dber@...
      • Eric Shultz
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 2002
          Thank you for the kind words. It should also be noted
          that Dave dominated Wizard last week, making every bid
          on every hand.

          I've remembered how to play trick taking games. Bring
          on Where's Bob's Hat!

          http://finance.yahoo.com