SR: Zombies!!!, MtG, Tigris & Euphrates, Buffy CCG, Star Wars Epic Duels

  • Vitas Povilaitis
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28, 2002
      Catching up with my session reports...

      August 1, 2002

      Click the link to see photos.

      http://gracefulboot.com/board_games/20020801.html

      Danger Planet open gaming. 4-player Zombies!!!, 2-player Magic: the Gathering, 4-player Tigres & Euphrates.

      I took way too long to get to this session report, so I don't remember too much about it.

      Zombies!!! with the Zombie Corps(e) expansion.
      Players were Eric, Doug, James and myself.

      We played the Quick Play Rules. We used my setup variant without reducing the tile count to 30.

      Doug left early without scoring. It was certainly a quick game considering the town dead-ended so that no helipad came out. The Zombie Corps(e) tiles never came out; even so, it was fun to have the cards from the expansion in play.

      The game ended with James winning after 40 minutes of game time.

      James: 17
      Eric: 15
      Vitas: 15
      James: (left early)
      Zombies!!!: Click here to buy your own copy at FunAgain.com.

      Magic: the Gathering
      Players were James and myself.

      I played this with James to kill some time before the next game. James provided both decks. I started out strong, but the decks were mana-weak and eventually James pulled out big creatures that killed me off quickly.

      Tigres & Euphrates
      Players were Eric, Ralph, Cindy and myself. Ralph played this before.

      We spent 25 minutes going over the rules. Winner is the player with the most victory points when: there are two or less treasures on the game board, or when a player cannot draw tiles to refresh their hand. The game board starts out with a fixed number of temples with
      treasure. Basically, tiles can be placed adjacent to other tiles. Pawns can be placed next to temples, creating a kingdom. A player scores a victory point of a particular color for a tile added to a kingdom with a pawn of that color if there's no conflict. (A black pawn can
      score tiles of other colors if pawns of the other colors are not in the kingdom.) An external conflict occurs when kingdoms are joined. This is resolved by the number of each specific tile for the particular colored pawn in conflict. Additional tiles from reserve can be added to
      aid the conflict. An internal conflict occurs when a pawn is placed in a kingdom already containing a pawn of the same color. This is resolved by number of temples adjacent to each pawn, plus additional temples from each hand. Scoring is done through the color victory
      points -- the most of the least. Treasures are added to any color.

      Being that this was my first time playing the game, I didn't understand all the rules, so the strategy and dynamics for this game escaped me. I really should have focused more on keeping an even number of victory points in all colors. Also, I should have kept track of what
      other players accumulated so I'd know when to fight them and when to let things go.

      Game lasted about an hour and a half.

      I think the game would be fun for more playings now that I understand the rules. And it seems like it'll be engaging during the time it gets played.

      Ralph: 13/9 (tie breaker)
      Eric: 10/9
      Cindy: 8
      Vitas: 6

      August 22, 2002

      Click the link to see photos.

      http://gracefulboot.com/board_games/20020822.html

      Danger Planet open gaming. 2-player Buffy the Vampire Slayer CCG, 6-player Star Wars Epic Duels.

      Buffy the Vampire Slayer CCG
      Players were Cindy (playing Willow) and myself (playing The Master.) This is the first time either of us played a full game.

      The game in a nutshell:
      This is a collectible card game. The object of the game is to be the first to score ten destiny points. The game is played on a playmat representing Sunnydale. Location cards are placed on the playmat from the players decks. Each location affects gameplay for the
      characters there. As the game is played, challenges are placed on the locations. Players then place characters (heros and companions or villains and minions) at locations, boosting their skill and equipping them with items as needed. Each player has a main character
      who can level up and get more special abilities. Main characters are represented by a spiffy essence card that also track destiny points on the play mat. There are action cards that bestow a benefit for oneself, or a detriment for the opponent. The idea is to take on a
      challenge using the talents of one or more characters. A challenge bestows destiny points, as given on the challenge card, if won. There are four talents: butt-kicking, smarts, weirdness, charm. Characters must exceed the value of the subset of talents given of the
      challenge card to beat it. The player can augment their talent's value by one by playing skill and item cards by ignoring their card text. Also, Action cards have specific talent values for just that purpose when used to augment talents (and ignoring their card texts) during a
      challenge. The opponent can make the challenge more difficult, by augmenting the talent value required to defeat it using the same mechanism. Also, Destiny points can be won or lost by challenging opponent characters, using the same mechanism, but using only the
      butt-kicking skill. There is a day-night cycle which restricts vampire movement.

      Cindy brought two balanced decks and a choice of main characters for each. Knowing the turn sequence and the winning condition, we set off playing the game, clarifying rules as we went.

      The first challenge I successfully won, may have played differently if I played it right, though, because I could only take the challenge at night, but took it during the day. I started off strongly in this game, if only because I was able to foil Cindy's challenges towards the
      beginning. I was able to level up The Master which gave him the ability to move and refresh a minion and attack one of Cindy's characters, where she thought she'd be safe. Later, she was starting to catch up, knocking me down a few notches. I was able to defeat Willow,
      but that was toward the end of the game which was getting close. I was able to pile on most of my characters onto a challenge and successfully take it, which pushed me to my victory.

      After about three hours of game time, I won the game.

      Even though the game took such a long time, I found the game engaging. Now that we understand the rules, I think the game will go much faster, though it'll still be on par to a strategy board game.

      Vitas: 11
      Cindy: 8
      Star Wars Epic Duels
      Players were Ralph (playing Mace Windu), Eric (playing Darth Vader), Cindy (playing Han Solo (again, something about that bowcaster Chewie uses)), Rich (playing Darth Maul), Chris (playing Luke Skywalker), and myself (playing Count Dooku.) We played the Carbon
      Freeze Chamber.

      The Good side ganged up against Count Dooku. I ended up with special movement cards which didn't do much good. Dooku was first to be eliminated. It was then I ended up with battle cards for Dooku. (What bad timing!) I remember is the bowcaster was very effective
      against Darth Vader. Darth Vader was second to be eliminated. The Dark side ganged up on Mace Windu; he was 3rd to be eliminated. But the Dark side's forces were thinned too much by that time, and Darth Maul bit it to give Good the victory in under an hour.

      Vitas Povilaitis
      http://www.GracefulBoot.com/board_games