SR: Zombies!!!, Goldland

  • Vitas Povilaitis
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 28, 2002
      I'm behind in my session reports. I'll try to catch up later, but
      here's the latest one. Here's the link to the report, but I forgot
      my camera, so no pictures. (How frustrating! Tile-laying games make
      for the most interesting pictures.)

      http://www.GracefulBoot.com/board_games/20020826.html

      August 26, 2002

      S.O.G. session. 4-player Zombies!!!, 5-player Goldland.

      Chris was gracious enough to host gaming at his home once again.

      Zombies!!! with the Zombie Corps(e) expansion.

      Players were Sarah, Chip, Andrew and myself. Andrew played for the
      first time. We played the Quick Play Rules. We used my setup variant.

      I'm still fiddling with my setup variant. I was afraid to commit to
      dumping as many tiles as I stated in the draft with the Zombie
      Corps(e) expansion (down to 30, then 2 more for each player) and ended
      up removing five tiles from the main set, and three from the
      expansion. This was a mistake, because the game did drag out longer
      than it should have. Also, I think the game could've worked with less
      than the zombie goal of [25 - (2 * number_of_players)]. I think [23 -
      (2 * number_of_players)] will work better as the required number of
      zombies to win.

      In this game, I started out badly, rolling low for movement and ending
      up with zombies too far away when Andrew placed the tile I drew with
      his "I Think It's Over Here" card. I played my revenge on him by
      playing my ""You Lookin' at Me?!?" card on his shotgun card which
      makes him choose a different target for the card. He inevitably chose
      me, because the other players would have a bigger advantage. (I would
      merely be catching up with the shotgun to my advantage.)

      Sarah went off on her own. That, of course, means that she ended up in
      the wrong part of town when the helipad showed up. I was boxed in a
      dead-end myself. As it turns out, the army front gate game out a
      little before that, and soon after that, the army helipad. This did
      not effect the game at all because they were essentially equidistant
      from a T-intersection that everyone needed to reach.

      It was between Chip and Andrew, as they raced to the helipad. In blind
      desperation, Chip cleared a path through the zombies, stopping one
      space short of the center of the helipad. This just gave Andrew a
      clear path to get there himself. Sarah played the "Your Shoe's Untied"
      card which halved Andrew's final movement roll. He rolled a one, which
      is all he needed. But, he had three life, which, with the quick-play
      variant rule, let him move three instead of the die roll. Andrew,
      anticipating some clever play of cards, walked right into victory
      without any resistance from the other players after a little under two
      hours of play. His was a two-pronged victory because his reached the
      center of the helipad, and killed the 17 zombies in the process which
      he needed for the alternate victory.

      Because I want to reduce playing time to about 30 minutes, this just
      makes me think I should really be as aggressive in pruning tiles out
      of play, and to slightly reduce the number of zombies needed to win.
      Also, there should have been more action with the cards, so I'm
      thinking of changing the hand limit to be the same as the number of
      players. Andrew thought the game would be better if any number of
      cards could be played during a round.

      * Andrew: 17 (helipad & zombie kill victory)
      * Chip: 10
      * Vitas: 7
      * Sarah: 6

      Goldland

      Players were Rob, Chris, Mark, Andrew and myself. I'm the only one who
      played before.

      The game of Eupherat & Tigris at the other table ended as our game of
      Zombies!!! ended. So we consolidated the gamers who stayed late and
      played a game of my newly-opened Goldland.

      We took 20 minutes to go over the rules, then began the game.

      We encountered a lot of adventures early on, except that we generally
      didn't have the supplies we needed to complete the adventures, let
      alone pick up the treasures along the way.

      Eventually, the temple area was explored, and Andrew stepped in. Chris
      had to reach the temple through an ordeal. No one else had the
      resources to get there through the remaining adventures. Rob
      aggressively set up camp at the different adventures and tried to pick
      up treasures. Mark was despondent over the lack of chance of winning
      against Andrew who was ahead all around. I was able to take over more
      adventures of one type from Andrew and reduced his score which gave
      Mark momentary hope.

      After a little over an hour, the game ended when the reserve gold from
      the temple was recovered by Andrew and Chris.

      Mark thought the game may have a better strategic element if
      exploration tiles could be placed adjacent to any tile. Perhaps we'll
      try that as a variant in the future.

      * Andrew: 22
      * Chris: 17
      * Rob: 17
      * Vitas: 9
      * Mark: 6

      Vitas Povilaitis
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 29, 2002
        August 14, 2002

        http://www.GracefulBoot.com/board_games/20020814.html

        While I was visiting relatives in Lithuania, I introduced some games
        to them.

        Private session. 2,3-player Icehouse Volcano, 4-player Royal Turf.

        Icehouse Volcano

        Players were Augie, Algis and myself. Everyone else were new players.

        Augie gave up early, considering Chess *the* strategy game to play.
        Algis found the game quite engaging, however. Even though I stayed
        ahead of his score, he kept up. Though, he did end the game too early
        the first time, letting me win.

        * Vitas: 27
        * Algis: 21
        * Augie: 4 (quit early)

        Algis liked the game enough for a second try.

        * Vitas: 17
        * Algis: 12

        Royal Turf

        Players were Zivile, Algis, Steve and myself. Everyone else were new
        players. We played with the full rules (including the face-down bets,
        and the bluff bet.)

        I brought this game along, because it'll be easy to explain, and could
        be engaging for everyone in the family. But I couldn't generate enough
        interest in as many people as I hoped. Surprisingly, my horse-loving
        buddy, Steve, who I brought along on the trip didn't find the game
        engaging -- maybe because his horses didn't do so well. Algis did his
        best to keep his best horse going. Zivile kept advancing all her
        horses, even the one with the bluff bet, because she forgot which she
        put it on. (So did I. But hey! It's all for fun.)

        * Algis: 2650
        * Zivile: 2600
        * Vitas: 2250
        * Steve: 400

        August 15, 2002

        http://www.GracefulBoot.com/board_games/20020815.html

        While I was visiting relatives in Lithuania, we engaged in another
        round of gaming.

        Private-session. 2-player Icehouse Volcano, 3-player Royal Turf,
        3-player Jenga.

        Icehouse Volcano

        Players were Augie, Algis and myself. We both played this before.

        Algis surprised me by requesting this game. He's what I'd call a big
        lug, so I wouldn't have pegged him as an abstract strategy gamer. Goes
        to show you can't judge a person from their demeanor.

        As before, he played a good game, but I was able to stay ahead of him.
        We played two games.

        * Vitas: 17
        * Algis: 14

        * Vitas: 26
        * Algis: 16

        Royal Turf

        Players were Algis, Zivile and myself. We all played this before. We
        played with the full rules (including the face-down bets, and the
        bluff bet.)

        I couldn't get Steve to try this again, which is a shame, because this
        game plays better with more people. Though, I think it starts to drag
        when playing three races in a row for the full game.

        I tried to spread my tokens onto the same horses as other players. I
        didn't want to go the race alone. Once again, Algis did his best to
        keep his best horse going. Zivile kept advancing all her horses, even
        the one with the bluff bet, because she forgot which she put it on.
        (So did I. But hey! It's all for fun.)

        * Algis: 3050
        * Zivile: 3050
        * Vitas: 1800

        Jenga

        Players were Zivile, Steve and myself. We all played before.

        Zivile brought out the Jenga set she received as a gift during her
        visit to America last year. It was a good game to wrap up the evening.
        We didn't seem to reach the impossible heights I remembered before the
        game ended with Zivile toppling the tower.

        Vitas Povilaitis
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 30, 2002
          August 29, 2002

          http://www.GracefulBoot.com/board_games/20020829.html

          Danger Planet open gaming. 3-player Piecepack Hanging Gardens,
          3-player Pueblo, 3-player Burn Rate, 5-player Goldland.

          Piecepack Hanging Gardens

          Players were Ralph, Karl and myself. We all played for the first time.

          I've wanted to try an actual Piecepack game for a while, and Karl
          brought his set to try a new game.

          This game is about creating terraces, planting gardens, and placing an
          observer. The idea is to create a garden with many different colors
          within the observer's line of sight, elevating him for extra points,
          and creating symmetry for extra points.

          We spent ten minutes going over the rules. Ralph had a hard time
          following the rules, but Karl seemed to pick it up fairly well, after
          mulling over the line-of-sight rule. I was somewhere in between,
          grasping it a little, but not realizing the implications of having
          Karl's observer beside and above mine, reaping all the points I gained
          and then some. The game lasted 15 minutes, and Karl won.

          The game is quick enough that I'd try it again to see how additional
          games could play out.

          * Karl: 14
          * Vitas: 13
          * Ralph: 11

          Pueblo

          Players were Ralph, Karl and myself. Karl played this game before.

          In this game, players lay cublets onto a game board, and move a pawn
          around the board. If the pawn has line-of-sight to a player's cublet,
          that player gains a point for each exposed face at ground level, two
          points for the second level, and so on. When the pawn is at a corner,
          players gain a point for each exposed face in that quadrant as viewed
          from above. The goal of the game is to have the lowest score when all
          players have played their cublets, and then the pawn makes a final lap
          around the board.

          Karl is great at these sorts of games. Ralph and I were floundering,
          playing this for the first time. Though I was doing well towards the
          beginning, my score shot ahead later on. The game ended at 40 minutes
          (including rules explanation.)

          The game is interesting enough for me to try again to see how
          additional games play out.

          * Karl: 35
          * Ralph: 49
          * Vitas: 58

          Burn Rate

          Players were Ralph, Karl and myself. Karl and I played for the first
          time.

          This game is about failing dot-coms. Each player runs a dot-com, and
          starts with $100. Players hire development managers, sales reps, human
          resources personnel, and managers. Players need engineers to work on
          bad ideas that other players play on them through their sales reps. If
          a player doesn't have enough engineers, they'll need to hire expensive
          contractors. Bad ideas stick around (eating away at the budget) until
          a skillful development manager can release the project. (Higher
          salaried sales reps accept the most bad ideas in their self-important
          roles.) Additional cards help hire, fire, get funding, poach opponents
          employees. Plus, you can get opponents to make bad hires. Cards are
          played based on the level of skill of your or your opponent's
          employees, so it's important to retain the best employees, while
          leaving the worst for your opponents. Game continues until only one
          player has money. (We grabbed the money from Karl's copy of Kingdoms
          to keep score.)

          Ralph took about five minutes to explain the game. I started out
          pretty good, spending the least amount of money each turn. However, I
          had a horrible VP of sales and I couldn't get rid of him. He kept
          attracting all the bad ideas that couldn't be played on the other
          players, so I lost all my money first. Karl and Ralph seemed about
          even, money-wise, through the game, though the expenses were piling up
          on Karl. Ralph seemed to have cleared his problems when Karl, who
          didn't find the game engaging, resigned, leaving the victory to Ralph.
          The game took about 50 minutes.

          I thought the game had an engaging concept. The theme seemed to
          superficially reflect the workings of high-tech companies in that
          Dilbert-sort of way. Ralph though the game plays better and quicker
          with four people.

          * Ralph: 47
          * Karl: 43
          * Vitas: -20

          Goldland

          Players were Ralph, Doug, Jeff, Karl and myself. Ralph and I played
          before.

          We spent 17 minutes going over the rules. Doug and I ended up
          following the edge of the map to get to the temple. Ralph was close
          enough to jump in on that path. Karl and Jeff went off in another
          direction and had no hope to get to the temple. Jeff, however, focused
          on setting up camp everywhere possible. I was able to get to the
          temple first, then hop over to a desert and collect the treasure on it
          in a desperate attempt to boost my score. (I wasn't setting up enough
          camps to score well.) The game ended in a little over an hour and a
          half, Doug scoring the win because he stole an adventure token from
          Jeff.

          * Doug: 21
          * Jeff: 20
          * Ralph: 15
          * Vitas: 15
          * Karl: 3

          This game emphasized an ambiguity (or is it my misconception) in the
          rules. I thought a player gets an adventure token for setting up camp
          in the plurality of unique adventure tiles. Everyone else interprets
          the rules literally and says that a player gets an adventure token for
          setting up the plurality of camps in like adventure tiles. We flipped
          a coin and decided to play the later ruling.

          Vitas Povilaitis
          http://www.GracefulBoot.com/board_games
        • DougOrleans
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 4, 2002
            Hi Vitas! I wish I had gotten there earlier to play Hanging Gardens! Thanks for writing up our Goldland game. I think this is the first time I've shown up in someone's session report! I have some minor corrections and comments, and a rule we got wrong:

            --- In Unity_Games@y..., Vitas Povilaitis <vitas@g...> wrote:
            > Goldland
            >
            > Players were Ralph, Doug, Jeff, Karl and myself. Ralph and I played
            > before.

            I'd played it twice before, also.

            > The game ended in a little over an hour and a half,

            It would have been 15-20 minutes shorter without the rules debate in the middle...

            > Doug scoring the win because he stole an adventure token from
            > Jeff.

            Actually, I snagged it from Ralph on the last turn; if I hadn't, Jeff would have won, and Ralph and I would have tied for second with 18 each. I don't think either Jeff or Ralph were happy with this...

            One important rule we got wrong is that after the first round after players first reach the temple, the pile of bonus gold is removed, but the remaining amulets stay around (we had removed those also). This means that later players can still get some points for going to the temple, as well as reduce the other player's scores by taking some of the gold income that they would have gotten. At one point Jeff asked whether there was any reason to go to the temple after the amulets had gone, and I had remembered that later players did get gold income, but the rules said that only players with amulets get the income-- I didn't think to question the removal of the amulets. I think Jeff probably would have been able to win if we had played that rule right.

            --dougo@...