RE: [Unity_Games] My July top 10

  • Matthew Horn
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 2, 2002
      Sure thing, as long as you bring your sense of humour!

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2, 2002
        I don't think I can top the "Ewww!" factor of Matt's stripper analogies, but
        at least I can come up with more than 5 games. Here's my top 10 games of
        July, with comparisons to something I am more likely to pop the top off of,
        beer.

        10 (tie). 6 Nimmt! and Hick Hack in Gacklewack - these both went over big
        with my family. Super-easy rules, no down-time, and good fun. I hesitate to
        compare them with Budweiser, since I can't stand the stuff, but folks who
        don't like real games will like these games, just like folks who don't like
        real beer will like Bud.

        8. Igel Argern - brought this out after a long absence and thoroughly
        enjoyed it. Again, not terribly deep stategically, but it's fun. With the
        dozens of variants, we'll call this one of those Michelob variety packs.

        7. Star Wars Epic Deuls - Definitely root beer. Something to enjoy with the
        nephews that's got a little bite to it, but once they've gone to bed you are
        ready for the good stuff!

        6. Transamerica - the Amstel Light of games. Not much to it, but it's
        definitely got some flavor, and can be enjoyed multiple times in one
        sitting.

        5. Villa Paletti - Hey, I enjoyed it, so bite me! Plus, it's pretty, and I
        bet I could get my wife to try it, so this is definitely something like a
        Bacardi berry-flavored malt beverage.

        4. Haste Vorte - This was an absolute blast to play! With the crowd playing
        at UG IV, and the fact that there is no English version, I'd have to go with
        a keg of a German Oktoberfest.

        3. Crokinole - I had a bit of a downturn in the amount of Crokinole playtime
        this month, but it never fails to satisfy. This is a good hearty
        old-fashioned ale, say an Old Thumper or a Buzzards Bay Pale Ale.

        2. Lowenherz - A vastly underplayed game, different from most any other game
        out there. Perhaps people are scared off by the apparent complexities, but
        it all blends together into a nice smooth experience. Theakston Old Peculier
        comes to mind. If you haven't tried this, the game or the beer, I heartily
        recommend both!

        1. Princes of Florence - Always a pleasure to play this. It is the Fuller's
        London Porter of games - full of flavor, you may not want more than one a
        night, but you savor every moment of that one, and it is deeply satisfying.
        (Especially when you win! And this month was the first time I ever won
        Princes, after a long history of nearly always coming in second by one
        point!)

        -David
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 2, 2002
          --- Matthew Gray <matthew@...> wrote:
          > I'm not really in to pop music, so I'll go with food
          > analogies here...

          What? No pizza?

          http://health.yahoo.com
        • Richard Spoonts
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 2, 2002
            Journalistic integrity compels me to...ah, f--- it.
            David (aka Slimy Bastard) won this game by only one
            point.

            David--Bring Lowenherz to B20. It's long been on my
            list of games to play.

            Richard

            --- David Fontes <dfontes@...> wrote:
            > 1. Princes of Florence - Always a pleasure to play
            > this. It is the Fuller's
            > London Porter of games - full of flavor, you may not
            > want more than one a
            > night, but you savor every moment of that one, and
            > it is deeply satisfying.
            > (Especially when you win! And this month was the
            > first time I ever won
            > Princes, after a long history of nearly always
            > coming in second by one
            > point!)

            http://health.yahoo.com
          • lukecabal1
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 3, 2002
              I am sorry I didn't post before in response to this; this evening I
              thought about it some more and I also want to chime in with Constantine
              that such humor as the stripping and games top-five is inappropriate.
              If we are attempting to have a list where you should not say "fuck"
              because it might make an uncomfortable environment for children or such
              folks, then we certainly should make an effort to not alienate (many)
              women by generating a culture of (predominantly) stereotypically male
              viewpoints. By posting in a form that is humorous to those who have a
              "male viewpoint", and by posting in a way which assumes certain
              behavior and experience is common and accepted throughout the entire
              list, one implicitly makes it more difficult for those who do not have
              that common cultural ground to speak as the post implicitly suggests a
              metric for what is a "unity games list member." I am not saying that
              we are tying people down and gagging them through such behavior, I am
              merely saying we are making it, again, marginally more difficult. The
              sorry fact is these infinitesimals add up over the course of time to
              erode people's voices and in the end perpetuate an oppression which I
              assume most of us consciously feel is something to avoid.

              I do not know if any of you have had the experience of talking with (or
              being) a person who has given up voicing their discomfort and distress
              at aspects of a culture they are choosing to be in because they are
              just too tired to carry the torch any further; often such people
              withdraw from such cultures, or even do not join them in the first
              place due to prior negative experiences with other, similar, ones.
              This is one factor, I feel, that explains the disproportional
              percentage of men in the board-gaming world.

              -Luke Weisman