RE: [Unity_Games] My July top 10

  • Matthew Horn
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 2, 2002
      I have no inclination to compare games to food or music, but I will compare them to strippers. However, these days I barely play 10 different games each month, so I will do a top 5.

      Traumfabrik
      Like a stripper who is in denial, Traumfabrik wants to be deeper than it actually is. "I'm an exotic dancer, not a stripper". However, she probably isn't hooked on the Horse, and this one always makes me laugh.

      Puerto Rico
      Like a stripper that takes a downer before each lap dance and follows the dance with a flaming Dr. Pepper chaser. Pupils too dialated to focus on you when she dances for you. Not much of a conversationalist, but doesn't mind when your hands stray from the path.

      Fantasy Business
      Like a great pole dancer who is a lousy lapper. Makes a lot of eye contact when in front of a crowd, but turns into a bag of oatmeal when 1-on-1. You need to be with your friends when you play with this gal.

      Santa Fe Rails
      Like a chunky stripper. You just didn't expect much from her, but pound for pound, she can hold her own. Sometimes takes a little too much time to finish, and you can see the (rear)end coming from a mile away.

      Through the Desert
      Like an old hooker. Too old to track down, too much goin' on if you happen to stumble across her. Great to talk to, so long as you don't have to look at her. Lots of people turn their noses up at this bag of fun, but you can't help yourself whenever you get a whiff.

    • Matthew Horn
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2, 2002
        And of course,

        Villa Paletti
        Catches your eye 'cause she's got great bits, but your image of her falls apart as you realize she has no teeth.

      • Constantine von Hoffman
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 2, 2002
          oh, this is so much too much information. maybe we could leave a little
          of the misogyny (look it up, matt) at home next time.

          At 12:16 PM 8/2/02 -0400, you wrote:
          >I have no inclination to compare games to food or music, but I will
          >compare them to strippers. However, these days I barely play 10 different
          >games each month, so I will do a top 5.
          >
          >Traumfabrik
          >Like a stripper who is in denial, Traumfabrik wants to be deeper than it
          >actually is. "I'm an exotic dancer, not a stripper". However, she probably
          >isn't hooked on the Horse, and this one always makes me laugh.
          >
          >Puerto Rico
          >Like a stripper that takes a downer before each lap dance and follows the
          >dance with a flaming Dr. Pepper chaser. Pupils too dialated to focus on
          >you when she dances for you. Not much of a conversationalist, but doesn't
          >mind when your hands stray from the path.
          >
          >Fantasy Business
          >Like a great pole dancer who is a lousy lapper. Makes a lot of eye contact
          >when in front of a crowd, but turns into a bag of oatmeal when 1-on-1. You
          >need to be with your friends when you play with this gal.
          >
          >Santa Fe Rails
          >Like a chunky stripper. You just didn't expect much from her, but pound
          >for pound, she can hold her own. Sometimes takes a little too much time to
          >finish, and you can see the (rear)end coming from a mile away.
          >
          >Through the Desert
          >Like an old hooker. Too old to track down, too much goin' on if you happen
          >to stumble across her. Great to talk to, so long as you don't have to look
          >at her. Lots of people turn their noses up at this bag of fun, but you
          >can't help yourself whenever you get a whiff.

          Constantine

          The plural of anecdote is not data.
        • Matthew Horn
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 2, 2002
            Sure thing, as long as you bring your sense of humour!

            oh, this is so much too much information. maybe we could leave a little
            of the misogyny (look it up, matt) at home next time.

            At 12:16 PM 8/2/02 -0400, you wrote:
            >I have no inclination to compare games to food or music, but I will
            >compare them to strippers. However, these days I barely play 10 different
            >games each month, so I will do a top 5.
            >
            >Traumfabrik
            >Like a stripper who is in denial, Traumfabrik wants to be deeper than it
            >actually is. "I'm an exotic dancer, not a stripper". However, she probably
            >isn't hooked on the Horse, and this one always makes me laugh.
            >
            >Puerto Rico
            >Like a stripper that takes a downer before each lap dance and follows the
            >dance with a flaming Dr. Pepper chaser. Pupils too dialated to focus on
            >you when she dances for you. Not much of a conversationalist, but doesn't
            >mind when your hands stray from the path.
            >
            >Fantasy Business
            >Like a great pole dancer who is a lousy lapper. Makes a lot of eye contact
            >when in front of a crowd, but turns into a bag of oatmeal when 1-on-1. You
            >need to be with your friends when you play with this gal.
            >
            >Santa Fe Rails
            >Like a chunky stripper. You just didn't expect much from her, but pound
            >for pound, she can hold her own. Sometimes takes a little too much time to
            >finish, and you can see the (rear)end coming from a mile away.
            >
            >Through the Desert
            >Like an old hooker. Too old to track down, too much goin' on if you happen
            >to stumble across her. Great to talk to, so long as you don't have to look
            >at her. Lots of people turn their noses up at this bag of fun, but you
            >can't help yourself whenever you get a whiff.

            Constantine

            The plural of anecdote is not data.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=228862.2128520.3581629.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705052896:HM/A=1155068/R=0/*http://adfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/990-1736-1039-302>

          • David Fontes
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 2, 2002
              I don't think I can top the "Ewww!" factor of Matt's stripper analogies, but
              at least I can come up with more than 5 games. Here's my top 10 games of
              July, with comparisons to something I am more likely to pop the top off of,
              beer.

              10 (tie). 6 Nimmt! and Hick Hack in Gacklewack - these both went over big
              with my family. Super-easy rules, no down-time, and good fun. I hesitate to
              compare them with Budweiser, since I can't stand the stuff, but folks who
              don't like real games will like these games, just like folks who don't like
              real beer will like Bud.

              8. Igel Argern - brought this out after a long absence and thoroughly
              enjoyed it. Again, not terribly deep stategically, but it's fun. With the
              dozens of variants, we'll call this one of those Michelob variety packs.

              7. Star Wars Epic Deuls - Definitely root beer. Something to enjoy with the
              nephews that's got a little bite to it, but once they've gone to bed you are
              ready for the good stuff!

              6. Transamerica - the Amstel Light of games. Not much to it, but it's
              definitely got some flavor, and can be enjoyed multiple times in one
              sitting.

              5. Villa Paletti - Hey, I enjoyed it, so bite me! Plus, it's pretty, and I
              bet I could get my wife to try it, so this is definitely something like a
              Bacardi berry-flavored malt beverage.

              4. Haste Vorte - This was an absolute blast to play! With the crowd playing
              at UG IV, and the fact that there is no English version, I'd have to go with
              a keg of a German Oktoberfest.

              3. Crokinole - I had a bit of a downturn in the amount of Crokinole playtime
              this month, but it never fails to satisfy. This is a good hearty
              old-fashioned ale, say an Old Thumper or a Buzzards Bay Pale Ale.

              2. Lowenherz - A vastly underplayed game, different from most any other game
              out there. Perhaps people are scared off by the apparent complexities, but
              it all blends together into a nice smooth experience. Theakston Old Peculier
              comes to mind. If you haven't tried this, the game or the beer, I heartily
              recommend both!

              1. Princes of Florence - Always a pleasure to play this. It is the Fuller's
              London Porter of games - full of flavor, you may not want more than one a
              night, but you savor every moment of that one, and it is deeply satisfying.
              (Especially when you win! And this month was the first time I ever won
              Princes, after a long history of nearly always coming in second by one
              point!)

              -David
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 2, 2002
                --- Matthew Gray <matthew@...> wrote:
                > I'm not really in to pop music, so I'll go with food
                > analogies here...

                What? No pizza?

                http://health.yahoo.com
              • Richard Spoonts
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 2, 2002
                  Journalistic integrity compels me to...ah, f--- it.
                  David (aka Slimy Bastard) won this game by only one
                  point.

                  David--Bring Lowenherz to B20. It's long been on my
                  list of games to play.

                  Richard

                  --- David Fontes <dfontes@...> wrote:
                  > 1. Princes of Florence - Always a pleasure to play
                  > this. It is the Fuller's
                  > London Porter of games - full of flavor, you may not
                  > want more than one a
                  > night, but you savor every moment of that one, and
                  > it is deeply satisfying.
                  > (Especially when you win! And this month was the
                  > first time I ever won
                  > Princes, after a long history of nearly always
                  > coming in second by one
                  > point!)

                  http://health.yahoo.com
                • lukecabal1
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 3, 2002
                    I am sorry I didn't post before in response to this; this evening I
                    thought about it some more and I also want to chime in with Constantine
                    that such humor as the stripping and games top-five is inappropriate.
                    If we are attempting to have a list where you should not say "fuck"
                    because it might make an uncomfortable environment for children or such
                    folks, then we certainly should make an effort to not alienate (many)
                    women by generating a culture of (predominantly) stereotypically male
                    viewpoints. By posting in a form that is humorous to those who have a
                    "male viewpoint", and by posting in a way which assumes certain
                    behavior and experience is common and accepted throughout the entire
                    list, one implicitly makes it more difficult for those who do not have
                    that common cultural ground to speak as the post implicitly suggests a
                    metric for what is a "unity games list member." I am not saying that
                    we are tying people down and gagging them through such behavior, I am
                    merely saying we are making it, again, marginally more difficult. The
                    sorry fact is these infinitesimals add up over the course of time to
                    erode people's voices and in the end perpetuate an oppression which I
                    assume most of us consciously feel is something to avoid.

                    I do not know if any of you have had the experience of talking with (or
                    being) a person who has given up voicing their discomfort and distress
                    at aspects of a culture they are choosing to be in because they are
                    just too tired to carry the torch any further; often such people
                    withdraw from such cultures, or even do not join them in the first
                    place due to prior negative experiences with other, similar, ones.
                    This is one factor, I feel, that explains the disproportional
                    percentage of men in the board-gaming world.

                    -Luke Weisman