My July top 10

  • Matthew Gray
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 2, 2002
      I'm not really in to pop music, so I'll go with food analogies here...

      10) Can't Stop

      An all time classic. I had the unique experience this month of
      winning a game before anyone else had capped a column. Not a full
      meal, but more than a snack, say a hot dog.

      9) flowerpower

      This game seems really simple at first, but it gets better with play.
      Sticking with the theme, this is the spinach salad of gaming. Yummy,
      better and better each time, but not too filling.

      8) 6 nimmt!

      This makes the list for an unusual reason. I love this game, but
      tried it with 2 players for the first time this month. Yuck. Don't
      bother. Stick with at least 4 players. Given the number of people
      needed to make this work, I'd say this is the 10-foot long hoagie.

      7) Battle Line

      I first played this almost 2 years ago, and it's been played at least
      once in 2 out of 3 months since then. I'm can't quite pick something
      for this one. I'm tempted to say chocolate, but it can be so much
      more than dessert. Maybe buffalo wings. An appetizer or a light
      meal.

      6) Pueblo

      An unusual feeling abstract with beautiful presentation and some real
      depth. Despite this, I often don't quite feel like it's a "main
      course". Sticking with the theme, this may be chips and guacamole.

      5) Carolus Magnus

      I finally "get it"! I've been really bad at this game in general, and
      I'm finally understanding it enough that I barely managed a win.
      Carolus Magnus is Minestrone. I've never been that fond of it, but
      done right, it can be very good.

      4) Pizarro

      What can I say, I love auctions. This (like Ra) to me has a very
      unusual flavor for an auction game though. Not thematically aligned,
      but this may be the spicy Thai chicken to the chicken of auction games
      in general.

      3) Code 777

      Definitely my favorite deduction game. I wouldn't want to only play
      deduction games, but they're an important part of a healthy diet.
      Code 777 is delicious Irish Soda Bread.

      2) Labyrinth: The Card Game

      I like it with 2. I tolerate it with more, though noone else seemed
      to. Not a lot there, but light, quick, amusing. These are
      marshmallows. Tasty and light, not a lot there, and probably not that
      good for you, but still pleasant.

      1) Puerto Rico

      Despite everyone else's hedging, this one has definitely made it into
      my top 10 of all time. Only barely, and it could get bumped out by
      any of #11-#15 (E&T, Pente, Ra, Princes, Can't Stop) sometime, but for
      now, it's there. I think it gets the distinction of being prime rib.
      Mmmm.

      ...Matthew
    • Matthew Horn
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2, 2002
        I have no inclination to compare games to food or music, but I will compare them to strippers. However, these days I barely play 10 different games each month, so I will do a top 5.

        Traumfabrik
        Like a stripper who is in denial, Traumfabrik wants to be deeper than it actually is. "I'm an exotic dancer, not a stripper". However, she probably isn't hooked on the Horse, and this one always makes me laugh.

        Puerto Rico
        Like a stripper that takes a downer before each lap dance and follows the dance with a flaming Dr. Pepper chaser. Pupils too dialated to focus on you when she dances for you. Not much of a conversationalist, but doesn't mind when your hands stray from the path.

        Fantasy Business
        Like a great pole dancer who is a lousy lapper. Makes a lot of eye contact when in front of a crowd, but turns into a bag of oatmeal when 1-on-1. You need to be with your friends when you play with this gal.

        Santa Fe Rails
        Like a chunky stripper. You just didn't expect much from her, but pound for pound, she can hold her own. Sometimes takes a little too much time to finish, and you can see the (rear)end coming from a mile away.

        Through the Desert
        Like an old hooker. Too old to track down, too much goin' on if you happen to stumble across her. Great to talk to, so long as you don't have to look at her. Lots of people turn their noses up at this bag of fun, but you can't help yourself whenever you get a whiff.

      • Matthew Horn
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 2, 2002
          And of course,

          Villa Paletti
          Catches your eye 'cause she's got great bits, but your image of her falls apart as you realize she has no teeth.

        • Constantine von Hoffman
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 2, 2002
            oh, this is so much too much information. maybe we could leave a little
            of the misogyny (look it up, matt) at home next time.

            At 12:16 PM 8/2/02 -0400, you wrote:
            >I have no inclination to compare games to food or music, but I will
            >compare them to strippers. However, these days I barely play 10 different
            >games each month, so I will do a top 5.
            >
            >Traumfabrik
            >Like a stripper who is in denial, Traumfabrik wants to be deeper than it
            >actually is. "I'm an exotic dancer, not a stripper". However, she probably
            >isn't hooked on the Horse, and this one always makes me laugh.
            >
            >Puerto Rico
            >Like a stripper that takes a downer before each lap dance and follows the
            >dance with a flaming Dr. Pepper chaser. Pupils too dialated to focus on
            >you when she dances for you. Not much of a conversationalist, but doesn't
            >mind when your hands stray from the path.
            >
            >Fantasy Business
            >Like a great pole dancer who is a lousy lapper. Makes a lot of eye contact
            >when in front of a crowd, but turns into a bag of oatmeal when 1-on-1. You
            >need to be with your friends when you play with this gal.
            >
            >Santa Fe Rails
            >Like a chunky stripper. You just didn't expect much from her, but pound
            >for pound, she can hold her own. Sometimes takes a little too much time to
            >finish, and you can see the (rear)end coming from a mile away.
            >
            >Through the Desert
            >Like an old hooker. Too old to track down, too much goin' on if you happen
            >to stumble across her. Great to talk to, so long as you don't have to look
            >at her. Lots of people turn their noses up at this bag of fun, but you
            >can't help yourself whenever you get a whiff.

            Constantine

            The plural of anecdote is not data.
          • Matthew Horn
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 2, 2002
              Sure thing, as long as you bring your sense of humour!

              oh, this is so much too much information. maybe we could leave a little
              of the misogyny (look it up, matt) at home next time.

              At 12:16 PM 8/2/02 -0400, you wrote:
              >I have no inclination to compare games to food or music, but I will
              >compare them to strippers. However, these days I barely play 10 different
              >games each month, so I will do a top 5.
              >
              >Traumfabrik
              >Like a stripper who is in denial, Traumfabrik wants to be deeper than it
              >actually is. "I'm an exotic dancer, not a stripper". However, she probably
              >isn't hooked on the Horse, and this one always makes me laugh.
              >
              >Puerto Rico
              >Like a stripper that takes a downer before each lap dance and follows the
              >dance with a flaming Dr. Pepper chaser. Pupils too dialated to focus on
              >you when she dances for you. Not much of a conversationalist, but doesn't
              >mind when your hands stray from the path.
              >
              >Fantasy Business
              >Like a great pole dancer who is a lousy lapper. Makes a lot of eye contact
              >when in front of a crowd, but turns into a bag of oatmeal when 1-on-1. You
              >need to be with your friends when you play with this gal.
              >
              >Santa Fe Rails
              >Like a chunky stripper. You just didn't expect much from her, but pound
              >for pound, she can hold her own. Sometimes takes a little too much time to
              >finish, and you can see the (rear)end coming from a mile away.
              >
              >Through the Desert
              >Like an old hooker. Too old to track down, too much goin' on if you happen
              >to stumble across her. Great to talk to, so long as you don't have to look
              >at her. Lots of people turn their noses up at this bag of fun, but you
              >can't help yourself whenever you get a whiff.

              Constantine

              The plural of anecdote is not data.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=228862.2128520.3581629.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705052896:HM/A=1155068/R=0/*http://adfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/990-1736-1039-302>

            • David Fontes
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 2, 2002
                I don't think I can top the "Ewww!" factor of Matt's stripper analogies, but
                at least I can come up with more than 5 games. Here's my top 10 games of
                July, with comparisons to something I am more likely to pop the top off of,
                beer.

                10 (tie). 6 Nimmt! and Hick Hack in Gacklewack - these both went over big
                with my family. Super-easy rules, no down-time, and good fun. I hesitate to
                compare them with Budweiser, since I can't stand the stuff, but folks who
                don't like real games will like these games, just like folks who don't like
                real beer will like Bud.

                8. Igel Argern - brought this out after a long absence and thoroughly
                enjoyed it. Again, not terribly deep stategically, but it's fun. With the
                dozens of variants, we'll call this one of those Michelob variety packs.

                7. Star Wars Epic Deuls - Definitely root beer. Something to enjoy with the
                nephews that's got a little bite to it, but once they've gone to bed you are
                ready for the good stuff!

                6. Transamerica - the Amstel Light of games. Not much to it, but it's
                definitely got some flavor, and can be enjoyed multiple times in one
                sitting.

                5. Villa Paletti - Hey, I enjoyed it, so bite me! Plus, it's pretty, and I
                bet I could get my wife to try it, so this is definitely something like a
                Bacardi berry-flavored malt beverage.

                4. Haste Vorte - This was an absolute blast to play! With the crowd playing
                at UG IV, and the fact that there is no English version, I'd have to go with
                a keg of a German Oktoberfest.

                3. Crokinole - I had a bit of a downturn in the amount of Crokinole playtime
                this month, but it never fails to satisfy. This is a good hearty
                old-fashioned ale, say an Old Thumper or a Buzzards Bay Pale Ale.

                2. Lowenherz - A vastly underplayed game, different from most any other game
                out there. Perhaps people are scared off by the apparent complexities, but
                it all blends together into a nice smooth experience. Theakston Old Peculier
                comes to mind. If you haven't tried this, the game or the beer, I heartily
                recommend both!

                1. Princes of Florence - Always a pleasure to play this. It is the Fuller's
                London Porter of games - full of flavor, you may not want more than one a
                night, but you savor every moment of that one, and it is deeply satisfying.
                (Especially when you win! And this month was the first time I ever won
                Princes, after a long history of nearly always coming in second by one
                point!)

                -David
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 2, 2002
                  --- Matthew Gray <matthew@...> wrote:
                  > I'm not really in to pop music, so I'll go with food
                  > analogies here...

                  What? No pizza?

                  http://health.yahoo.com
                • Richard Spoonts
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 2, 2002
                    Journalistic integrity compels me to...ah, f--- it.
                    David (aka Slimy Bastard) won this game by only one
                    point.

                    David--Bring Lowenherz to B20. It's long been on my
                    list of games to play.

                    Richard

                    --- David Fontes <dfontes@...> wrote:
                    > 1. Princes of Florence - Always a pleasure to play
                    > this. It is the Fuller's
                    > London Porter of games - full of flavor, you may not
                    > want more than one a
                    > night, but you savor every moment of that one, and
                    > it is deeply satisfying.
                    > (Especially when you win! And this month was the
                    > first time I ever won
                    > Princes, after a long history of nearly always
                    > coming in second by one
                    > point!)

                    http://health.yahoo.com
                  • lukecabal1
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 3, 2002
                      I am sorry I didn't post before in response to this; this evening I
                      thought about it some more and I also want to chime in with Constantine
                      that such humor as the stripping and games top-five is inappropriate.
                      If we are attempting to have a list where you should not say "fuck"
                      because it might make an uncomfortable environment for children or such
                      folks, then we certainly should make an effort to not alienate (many)
                      women by generating a culture of (predominantly) stereotypically male
                      viewpoints. By posting in a form that is humorous to those who have a
                      "male viewpoint", and by posting in a way which assumes certain
                      behavior and experience is common and accepted throughout the entire
                      list, one implicitly makes it more difficult for those who do not have
                      that common cultural ground to speak as the post implicitly suggests a
                      metric for what is a "unity games list member." I am not saying that
                      we are tying people down and gagging them through such behavior, I am
                      merely saying we are making it, again, marginally more difficult. The
                      sorry fact is these infinitesimals add up over the course of time to
                      erode people's voices and in the end perpetuate an oppression which I
                      assume most of us consciously feel is something to avoid.

                      I do not know if any of you have had the experience of talking with (or
                      being) a person who has given up voicing their discomfort and distress
                      at aspects of a culture they are choosing to be in because they are
                      just too tired to carry the torch any further; often such people
                      withdraw from such cultures, or even do not join them in the first
                      place due to prior negative experiences with other, similar, ones.
                      This is one factor, I feel, that explains the disproportional
                      percentage of men in the board-gaming world.

                      -Luke Weisman