Re: [Unity_Games] Re: The Truly Authoritative July's Top 10 Games

  • Constantine von Hoffman
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
      i thin you're analogy is dead on.

      At 07:45 AM 8/2/02 -0700, you wrote:
      > > I can't think of a musical analogy for PR - although
      > > I'll
      > > be interested to
      > > see what others come up with.
      > >
      > > Andrew
      >
      >Maybe Emminem. Love it or don't love it, you can't
      >drive down the street without hearing it blasting out
      >of some punk kid's car.

      Constantine
    • Eric Shultz
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
        I will take your word for it. I think I need to get
        better at shipping strategy. When I tried a heavy
        shipping, I think I only had corn and indigo. Is it
        better to monopolize a good or have more than two? I
        suppose the answer is "it depends"

        Eric

        --- cwmassey <cwmassey@...> wrote:
        > I've played it a number of times with 3 and I can
        > say with certainty
        > that the building strategy isn't the only way to go.
        > A heavy
        > shipping strategy works just as effectively. It
        > would be tough to
        > convince me that any one strategy for any number of
        > players in PR is
        > dominant. It depends on too many things.
        >
        > Craig

        http://health.yahoo.com
      • Richard Spoonts
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
          Journalistic integrity compels me to report that, in
          fact, Dave Rapp won this game of Hase und Igel and
          that he arrived home with no carrots left over. Way
          to go, Dave!

          Journalistic integrity also compels me to report that
          this was the game that saw Dave Rapp bragging about
          the size of his, uh, member. Draw your own
          conclusions.

          Richard

          --- Craig Massey <cwmassey@...> wrote:
          > 9 - Hase und Igel/Hare & Tortise: The original SdJ
          > winner. You don't see this played much anymore, but
          > relish it when it hits the table. A recent playing
          > at
          > Richard's was very satisfying despite a horrific
          > effort on my part. I think Richard won so it
          > doesn't
          > really count. The Velvet Underground of the list as
          > an acknowledged classic that no one plays.

          http://health.yahoo.com
        • Richard Spoonts
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
            Andrew,

            Your biases are showing; you'd better cover them up.
            After all, we wouldn't want to make Rapp jealous.

            Richard

            --- andagainma <AndAgainMA@...> wrote:
            > --- In Unity_Games@y..., Craig Massey
            > <cwmassey@y...> wrote:
            >
            > > 9 - Hase und Igel/Hare & Tortise... The Velvet
            > Underground of the
            > list as
            > > an acknowledged classic that no one plays.
            >
            > Even though I see Craig's twisted logic here, the
            > gulf in
            > atmophere between H&T and VU is so vast that as to
            > defy description.

            http://health.yahoo.com
          • davelernergames
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
              I'm still somewhat new to boardgaming, so I don't know what I'm
              talking about, but that's never stopped me before. Here's my
              list. I'll choose an analogy with which most of us will be familar.

              5 TransAmerica: A simple yet non-trivial rail game. Definitely the
              TransAmerica of games.

              4 Stage II: Fun, even if some of the questions are a little out of
              date. I like the fact that it's simultaneous. I think it is the
              Stage II of games, though many people may not agree.

              3 Formula De: I know many people don't like dice or luck, but there
              _is_ an element of risk in racing, so this fits the theme perfectly.
              And some of the rolls can get exciting. Though I'll call Formula De
              the Formula De of games, I know there are other games worthy of the
              same title.

              2 Call My Bluff: A dice game where luck is not important. This game
              is a lot of fun!! It's earned its place as the Call My Bluff of
              games.

              1 Puerto Rico: Something of a surprise for me, as this is not the
              type of game I normally like. I usually prefer very light, very fast
              games. And I prefer one identifiable persona for a game, not a
              rotation of different characters. But Puerto Rico manages to rise
              above its genre, and win me over. Will Puerto Rico eventually prove
              to be the Puerto Rico of games? I believe so.

              davelernergames
              Trying not to wind being the davelernergames of Unity Games.
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
                Eric Shultz <swift_4@...> wrote:

                >--- Craig Massey <cwmassey@...> wrote:
                >> Jack the Ripper is to Mystery Rummy what The Joshua
                >> Tree is to U2.

                Meaning distilled greatness? I like Wyatt Earp best (no, not
                technically MR but sort of MR 3.5).

                >I wish the Joshua Tree never happened.

                Oh boy! The greatest album from my fourth favorite band.

                !!Zepplin Rules!! :)

                dber@...
              • asciola
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
                  > Meaning distilled greatness? I like Wyatt Earp best (no, not
                  > technically MR but sort of MR 3.5).
                  >
                  > >I wish the Joshua Tree never happened.
                  >
                  > Oh boy! The greatest album from my fourth favorite band.

                  Irish troublemaking bastards. ;)

                  Back to the Stone Roses and Blur...

                  Anthony
                • Eric Shultz
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
                    I love U2 as well. Joshua Tree just did something to
                    them. Pretentious might be the correct word that
                    someone used to describe the music.

                    And if I said to you tomorrow
                    Take my hand child, walk with me
                    It's to a castle I will take you
                    Where what's to be they say will be

                    Led Zep definitely rules. I'll take semi-mystical
                    mumble-jumble Bullcrap any day.

                    Eric

                    http://health.yahoo.com