Re: The Truly Authoritative July's Top 10 Games

  • cwmassey
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
      --- In Unity_Games@y..., Eric Shultz <swift_4@y...> wrote:
      > Maybe Emminem. Love it or don't love it, you can't
      > drive down the street without hearing it blasting out
      > of some punk kid's car.

      Amazingly enough that works.

      > I think that's why people keep playing it, but don't
      > want to make it an "all-time" game. They don't want
      > to say "It's one of the best games ever" and have
      > someone say "There's nothing really new about it".

      Well, for me, its not going to crack the all time game top 10 until
      it shows me some staying power. And besides, for now all of my top
      10 games - hell even top 20 games are ones that I would rather play
      and are better than Puerto Rico.

      > What I'd like to know is how many people have played
      > some 3-Player Puerto Rico? I think with three
      > players, someone who goes all out with building will
      > win almost all the time. Hopefully people will prove
      > me wrong by saying they have won more than once with a
      > different strategy in 3-player.

      I've played it a number of times with 3 and I can say with certainty
      that the building strategy isn't the only way to go. A heavy
      shipping strategy works just as effectively. It would be tough to
      convince me that any one strategy for any number of players in PR is
      dominant. It depends on too many things.

      Craig

      > http://health.yahoo.com
    • Constantine von Hoffman
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
        i thin you're analogy is dead on.

        At 07:45 AM 8/2/02 -0700, you wrote:
        > > I can't think of a musical analogy for PR - although
        > > I'll
        > > be interested to
        > > see what others come up with.
        > >
        > > Andrew
        >
        >Maybe Emminem. Love it or don't love it, you can't
        >drive down the street without hearing it blasting out
        >of some punk kid's car.

        Constantine
      • Eric Shultz
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
          I will take your word for it. I think I need to get
          better at shipping strategy. When I tried a heavy
          shipping, I think I only had corn and indigo. Is it
          better to monopolize a good or have more than two? I
          suppose the answer is "it depends"

          Eric

          --- cwmassey <cwmassey@...> wrote:
          > I've played it a number of times with 3 and I can
          > say with certainty
          > that the building strategy isn't the only way to go.
          > A heavy
          > shipping strategy works just as effectively. It
          > would be tough to
          > convince me that any one strategy for any number of
          > players in PR is
          > dominant. It depends on too many things.
          >
          > Craig

          http://health.yahoo.com
        • Richard Spoonts
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
            Journalistic integrity compels me to report that, in
            fact, Dave Rapp won this game of Hase und Igel and
            that he arrived home with no carrots left over. Way
            to go, Dave!

            Journalistic integrity also compels me to report that
            this was the game that saw Dave Rapp bragging about
            the size of his, uh, member. Draw your own
            conclusions.

            Richard

            --- Craig Massey <cwmassey@...> wrote:
            > 9 - Hase und Igel/Hare & Tortise: The original SdJ
            > winner. You don't see this played much anymore, but
            > relish it when it hits the table. A recent playing
            > at
            > Richard's was very satisfying despite a horrific
            > effort on my part. I think Richard won so it
            > doesn't
            > really count. The Velvet Underground of the list as
            > an acknowledged classic that no one plays.

            http://health.yahoo.com
          • Richard Spoonts
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
              Andrew,

              Your biases are showing; you'd better cover them up.
              After all, we wouldn't want to make Rapp jealous.

              Richard

              --- andagainma <AndAgainMA@...> wrote:
              > --- In Unity_Games@y..., Craig Massey
              > <cwmassey@y...> wrote:
              >
              > > 9 - Hase und Igel/Hare & Tortise... The Velvet
              > Underground of the
              > list as
              > > an acknowledged classic that no one plays.
              >
              > Even though I see Craig's twisted logic here, the
              > gulf in
              > atmophere between H&T and VU is so vast that as to
              > defy description.

              http://health.yahoo.com
            • davelernergames
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
                I'm still somewhat new to boardgaming, so I don't know what I'm
                talking about, but that's never stopped me before. Here's my
                list. I'll choose an analogy with which most of us will be familar.

                5 TransAmerica: A simple yet non-trivial rail game. Definitely the
                TransAmerica of games.

                4 Stage II: Fun, even if some of the questions are a little out of
                date. I like the fact that it's simultaneous. I think it is the
                Stage II of games, though many people may not agree.

                3 Formula De: I know many people don't like dice or luck, but there
                _is_ an element of risk in racing, so this fits the theme perfectly.
                And some of the rolls can get exciting. Though I'll call Formula De
                the Formula De of games, I know there are other games worthy of the
                same title.

                2 Call My Bluff: A dice game where luck is not important. This game
                is a lot of fun!! It's earned its place as the Call My Bluff of
                games.

                1 Puerto Rico: Something of a surprise for me, as this is not the
                type of game I normally like. I usually prefer very light, very fast
                games. And I prefer one identifiable persona for a game, not a
                rotation of different characters. But Puerto Rico manages to rise
                above its genre, and win me over. Will Puerto Rico eventually prove
                to be the Puerto Rico of games? I believe so.

                davelernergames
                Trying not to wind being the davelernergames of Unity Games.
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
                  Eric Shultz <swift_4@...> wrote:

                  >--- Craig Massey <cwmassey@...> wrote:
                  >> Jack the Ripper is to Mystery Rummy what The Joshua
                  >> Tree is to U2.

                  Meaning distilled greatness? I like Wyatt Earp best (no, not
                  technically MR but sort of MR 3.5).

                  >I wish the Joshua Tree never happened.

                  Oh boy! The greatest album from my fourth favorite band.

                  !!Zepplin Rules!! :)

                  dber@...
                • asciola
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
                    > Meaning distilled greatness? I like Wyatt Earp best (no, not
                    > technically MR but sort of MR 3.5).
                    >
                    > >I wish the Joshua Tree never happened.
                    >
                    > Oh boy! The greatest album from my fourth favorite band.

                    Irish troublemaking bastards. ;)

                    Back to the Stone Roses and Blur...

                    Anthony
                  • Eric Shultz
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
                      I love U2 as well. Joshua Tree just did something to
                      them. Pretentious might be the correct word that
                      someone used to describe the music.

                      And if I said to you tomorrow
                      Take my hand child, walk with me
                      It's to a castle I will take you
                      Where what's to be they say will be

                      Led Zep definitely rules. I'll take semi-mystical
                      mumble-jumble Bullcrap any day.

                      Eric

                      http://health.yahoo.com