Re: [Unity_Games] Re: The Truly Authoritative July's Top 10 Games

  • Craig Massey
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
      --- andagainma <AndAgainMA@...> wrote:
      > --- In Unity_Games@y..., Craig Massey
      > <cwmassey@y...> wrote:
      >
      > > 9 - Hase und Igel/Hare & Tortise... The Velvet
      > Underground of the
      > list as
      > > an acknowledged classic that no one plays.
      >
      > Even though I see Craig's twisted logic here, the
      > gulf in
      > atmophere between H&T and VU is so vast that as to
      > defy description.

      Just because Andy Warhol didn't do the artwork for
      H&T..... maybe the next version will be H&T With Nico.

      > I can't think of a musical analogy for PR - although
      > I can think of a
      > few hundred better than that H&T/VU nonsense.

      I couldn't come up with one - I'm open to suggestions.

      =====
      Craig W. Massey
      cwmassey@...

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • Constantine von Hoffman
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
        boy, you opened up a CD of worms with this one.

        At 06:36 AM 8/2/02 -0700, Craig wrote:
        >10 - Jack the Ripper is to Mystery Rummy what The Joshua Tree is to
        >U2.

        Pretentious music you can't dance to?

        >9 - The Velvet Underground of the list as
        >an acknowledged classic that no one plays.
        >
        >8 - Given the fact the Friese's other games
        >always have something interesting and worthwhile in
        >them, but never get a lot of play time, it makes him
        >the Elvis Costello of this month's list.

        You obviously have never been to my house, where the velvets and elvis are
        behind only Hank Williams and the other Elvis for time on my cd player.

        >7 - Carolus Magnus: Like the Tommy Tutone one hit
        >wonder 867-5309 ... one that I loved and played a lot a
        >few years ago.

        dead on. still a good song, too.

        >6 - If Jack The Ripper is The Joshua Tree, then Wyatt Earp is
        >All That You Can't Leave Behind.

        see no 10.

        >5 - Battle Cry: This one is a late bloomer for me not
        >unlike the Rolling Stones who I ignored until I was in
        >college.

        I hope to meet you at Antietam sometime soon; this is a game i always love
        to play. (ooops that was on topic, sorry!)

        >3 - You like the Van Halen remake, but the Kinks original version is
        >still better.

        now there's an understatement.

        >2 - Spades: It's well on its way to being the Dark Side Of The Moon with
        >its steady appearances
        >on the charts.

        does this mean spades is only good when you're stoned?

        >1 - Puerto Rico: For the life of me, I can't win this damn
        >game with 5. I'm wide open to a musical analogy here.

        i probably couldn't win this game solitaire. i like it though. Maybe it's
        like Sgt. Pepper -- an instant classic?

        Constantine

        The plural of anecdote is not data.
      • Eric Shultz
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
          > I can't think of a musical analogy for PR - although
          > I'll
          > be interested to
          > see what others come up with.
          >
          > Andrew

          Maybe Emminem. Love it or don't love it, you can't
          drive down the street without hearing it blasting out
          of some punk kid's car.

          Or Bowie. It's got elements of everything through
          several decades, yet it's distinctive.

          I think that's why people keep playing it, but don't
          want to make it an "all-time" game. They don't want
          to say "It's one of the best games ever" and have
          someone say "There's nothing really new about it".

          What I'd like to know is how many people have played
          some 3-Player Puerto Rico? I think with three
          players, someone who goes all out with building will
          win almost all the time. Hopefully people will prove
          me wrong by saying they have won more than once with a
          different strategy in 3-player.

          Eric

          http://health.yahoo.com
        • cwmassey
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
            --- In Unity_Games@y..., Eric Shultz <swift_4@y...> wrote:
            > Maybe Emminem. Love it or don't love it, you can't
            > drive down the street without hearing it blasting out
            > of some punk kid's car.

            Amazingly enough that works.

            > I think that's why people keep playing it, but don't
            > want to make it an "all-time" game. They don't want
            > to say "It's one of the best games ever" and have
            > someone say "There's nothing really new about it".

            Well, for me, its not going to crack the all time game top 10 until
            it shows me some staying power. And besides, for now all of my top
            10 games - hell even top 20 games are ones that I would rather play
            and are better than Puerto Rico.

            > What I'd like to know is how many people have played
            > some 3-Player Puerto Rico? I think with three
            > players, someone who goes all out with building will
            > win almost all the time. Hopefully people will prove
            > me wrong by saying they have won more than once with a
            > different strategy in 3-player.

            I've played it a number of times with 3 and I can say with certainty
            that the building strategy isn't the only way to go. A heavy
            shipping strategy works just as effectively. It would be tough to
            convince me that any one strategy for any number of players in PR is
            dominant. It depends on too many things.

            Craig

            > http://health.yahoo.com
          • Constantine von Hoffman
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
              i thin you're analogy is dead on.

              At 07:45 AM 8/2/02 -0700, you wrote:
              > > I can't think of a musical analogy for PR - although
              > > I'll
              > > be interested to
              > > see what others come up with.
              > >
              > > Andrew
              >
              >Maybe Emminem. Love it or don't love it, you can't
              >drive down the street without hearing it blasting out
              >of some punk kid's car.

              Constantine
            • Eric Shultz
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
                I will take your word for it. I think I need to get
                better at shipping strategy. When I tried a heavy
                shipping, I think I only had corn and indigo. Is it
                better to monopolize a good or have more than two? I
                suppose the answer is "it depends"

                Eric

                --- cwmassey <cwmassey@...> wrote:
                > I've played it a number of times with 3 and I can
                > say with certainty
                > that the building strategy isn't the only way to go.
                > A heavy
                > shipping strategy works just as effectively. It
                > would be tough to
                > convince me that any one strategy for any number of
                > players in PR is
                > dominant. It depends on too many things.
                >
                > Craig

                http://health.yahoo.com
              • Richard Spoonts
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
                  Journalistic integrity compels me to report that, in
                  fact, Dave Rapp won this game of Hase und Igel and
                  that he arrived home with no carrots left over. Way
                  to go, Dave!

                  Journalistic integrity also compels me to report that
                  this was the game that saw Dave Rapp bragging about
                  the size of his, uh, member. Draw your own
                  conclusions.

                  Richard

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
                    Andrew,

                    Your biases are showing; you'd better cover them up.
                    After all, we wouldn't want to make Rapp jealous.

                    Richard

                    --- andagainma <AndAgainMA@...> wrote:
                    > --- In Unity_Games@y..., Craig Massey
                    > <cwmassey@y...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > 9 - Hase und Igel/Hare & Tortise... The Velvet
                    > Underground of the
                    > list as
                    > > an acknowledged classic that no one plays.
                    >
                    > Even though I see Craig's twisted logic here, the
                    > gulf in
                    > atmophere between H&T and VU is so vast that as to
                    > defy description.

                    http://health.yahoo.com
                  • davelernergames
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
                      I'm still somewhat new to boardgaming, so I don't know what I'm
                      talking about, but that's never stopped me before. Here's my
                      list. I'll choose an analogy with which most of us will be familar.

                      5 TransAmerica: A simple yet non-trivial rail game. Definitely the
                      TransAmerica of games.

                      4 Stage II: Fun, even if some of the questions are a little out of
                      date. I like the fact that it's simultaneous. I think it is the
                      Stage II of games, though many people may not agree.

                      3 Formula De: I know many people don't like dice or luck, but there
                      _is_ an element of risk in racing, so this fits the theme perfectly.
                      And some of the rolls can get exciting. Though I'll call Formula De
                      the Formula De of games, I know there are other games worthy of the
                      same title.

                      2 Call My Bluff: A dice game where luck is not important. This game
                      is a lot of fun!! It's earned its place as the Call My Bluff of
                      games.

                      1 Puerto Rico: Something of a surprise for me, as this is not the
                      type of game I normally like. I usually prefer very light, very fast
                      games. And I prefer one identifiable persona for a game, not a
                      rotation of different characters. But Puerto Rico manages to rise
                      above its genre, and win me over. Will Puerto Rico eventually prove
                      to be the Puerto Rico of games? I believe so.

                      davelernergames
                      Trying not to wind being the davelernergames of Unity Games.
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
                        Eric Shultz <swift_4@...> wrote:

                        >--- Craig Massey <cwmassey@...> wrote:
                        >> Jack the Ripper is to Mystery Rummy what The Joshua
                        >> Tree is to U2.

                        Meaning distilled greatness? I like Wyatt Earp best (no, not
                        technically MR but sort of MR 3.5).

                        >I wish the Joshua Tree never happened.

                        Oh boy! The greatest album from my fourth favorite band.

                        !!Zepplin Rules!! :)

                        dber@...
                      • asciola
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
                          > Meaning distilled greatness? I like Wyatt Earp best (no, not
                          > technically MR but sort of MR 3.5).
                          >
                          > >I wish the Joshua Tree never happened.
                          >
                          > Oh boy! The greatest album from my fourth favorite band.

                          Irish troublemaking bastards. ;)

                          Back to the Stone Roses and Blur...

                          Anthony
                        • Eric Shultz
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
                            I love U2 as well. Joshua Tree just did something to
                            them. Pretentious might be the correct word that
                            someone used to describe the music.

                            And if I said to you tomorrow
                            Take my hand child, walk with me
                            It's to a castle I will take you
                            Where what's to be they say will be

                            Led Zep definitely rules. I'll take semi-mystical
                            mumble-jumble Bullcrap any day.

                            Eric

                            http://health.yahoo.com