The Truly Authoritative July's Top 10 Games

  • Craig Massey
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
      Well, its a day late, but judging from the empty
      inbox, noone was screaming about the lack of a minty
      fresh top 10 games of the month. Besides, Matthew G.
      hasn't given us his insights on the month of the July
      yet so I can't be all that late.

      These are the dog days of gaming so to speak.
      Whatever sheen there was on the crop of new spring
      games has largely worn off. You can see it in a lot
      of the session reports that this year's model isn't
      the hot thing anymore, losing favor to games of past
      years. Looking at my top 10 monthly lists for June
      and July, I can see only a couple of games that are
      2002 releases. So without further delay, here is the
      July Edition of Top 10 Monthly Games

      10 - Mystery Rummy #1 Jack The Ripper: A two player
      classic that I missed out on playing for the first
      half of the year. Better than Battleline. Jack the
      Ripper is to Mystery Rummy what The Joshua Tree is to
      U2.

      9 - Hase und Igel/Hare & Tortise: The original SdJ
      winner. You don't see this played much anymore, but I
      relish it when it hits the table. A recent playing at
      Richard's was very satisfying despite a horrific
      effort on my part. I think Richard won so it doesn't
      really count. The Velvet Underground of the list as
      an acknowledged classic that no one plays.

      8 - Foppen: This is an older Friedman Friese game
      that I played for the first time recently. The idea
      is to get rid of all of you cards first, but if you
      play the lowest card on a trick, you are the fool and
      have to skip the next trick. A very simple hand
      management game where luck can play a large part, but
      over a series of hands, skill will win out. Richard
      won again so that is the exception to my previous
      sentence. Given the fact the Friese's other games
      always have something interesting and worthwhile in
      them, but never get a lot of play time, it makes him
      the Elvis Costello of this month's list.

      7 - Carolus Magnus: Like the Tommy Tutone one hit
      wonder 867-5309, a game that you never see anyone
      play anymore, but one that I loved and played a lot a
      few years ago. It hasn't come out since. I forgot
      how much I enjoyed it and based on my performance, it
      was clear that I forgot how to play it well too.

      6 - Wyatt Earp: Last year's model. Dave B. just made
      mention of the fact that this one was in heavy play
      rotation last year like an overplayed pop song. It
      may not see much play this year, but it will slowly
      creep back to the table to see regular playings. If
      Jack The Ripper is The Joshua Tree, then Wyatt Earp is
      All That You Can't Leave Behind.

      5 - Battle Cry: This one is a late bloomer for me not
      unlike the Rolling Stones who I ignored until I was in
      college. I don't think I played it at all the year it
      came out and only a few times last year. Its finally
      a game that I'll actively look to play. Giving Alan a
      severe beating doesn't hurt the cause either.

      4 - Street Soccer: Ah, finally a new game. A few
      have tried it over the last month or so. Its quick,
      has a reasonable amount of luck and plenty of tactical
      decisions making it a wonderful two player
      alternative. I have no idea if this will have staying
      power or disappears like Ricky Martin's career. Its
      much too early to tell.

      3 - Wer Hat Mehr: Not the new Bob's Hat version, but
      the old with really bad art version. It is the best 3
      player trick taking game hands down. The fact this
      has been remade makes this the "Girl You Really Got
      Me" of the list. You like the Van Halen remake, but
      the Kinks original version is still better.

      2 - Spades: Another month, another appearance for
      Spades on the top 10. It's well on its way to being
      the Dark Side Of The Moon with its steady appearances
      on the charts.

      1 - Puerto Rico: The hot game so far this year. I
      think I played it over 10 times in July which is rare
      for me with any game. While I don't think it is the
      greatest game ever and am not quite ready to give it a
      place in my all time top 10, it has captured my
      imagination for the time being. The best thing about
      it for me is that feels very different for 3, 4 and 5
      players. For the life of me, I can't win this damn
      game with 5. I'm wide open to a musical analogy here.

      I'll be back with more nonsense like the above next
      month.

      Craig

      =====
      Craig W. Massey
      cwmassey@...

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • Eric Shultz
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
        --- Craig Massey <cwmassey@...> wrote:
        > Jack the Ripper is to Mystery Rummy what The Joshua
        > Tree is to U2.

        You mean it will win a meaningless award for being a
        well put together album, then be ignored except for
        two songs that get played so much that no one wants to
        hear them anymore?

        You mean it will make it so that no one even knows
        there were five other albums before it?

        I wish the Joshua Tree never happened.

        Oh, wait. Is this post off topic?

        Eric

        http://health.yahoo.com
      • andagainma
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
          --- In Unity_Games@y..., Craig Massey <cwmassey@y...> wrote:

          > 9 - Hase und Igel/Hare & Tortise... The Velvet Underground of the
          list as
          > an acknowledged classic that no one plays.

          Even though I see Craig's twisted logic here, the gulf in
          atmophere between H&T and VU is so vast that as to defy description.

          > 8 - Foppen... Given the fact the Friese's other games
          > always have something interesting and worthwhile in
          > them, but never get a lot of play time, it makes him
          > the Elvis Costello of this month's list.

          I played this for the first time this month. A cool weird trick-taking
          game. I also played FF's Funkenschlag for the first time. That was
          @B2O, with Dan C, Walter, and Rich M. I funked them over! I schlagged
          them rotten, baby!

          > 1 - Puerto Rico: The hot game so far this year. I
          > think I played it over 10 times in July which is rare
          > for me with any game. While I don't think it is the
          > greatest game ever and am not quite ready to give it a
          > place in my all time top 10, it has captured my
          > imagination for the time being. The best thing about
          > it for me is that feels very different for 3, 4 and 5
          > players. For the life of me, I can't win this damn
          > game with 5. I'm wide open to a musical analogy here.

          I played it 3 times in July (and the same number of times in each of
          the June and May, having played my first game in April). I think that
          I am ready to induct it into my top 10, but doubt that it will ever
          place among the medals. It's a contender for game of the month, along
          with Die Sieben Weisen (another newish game with 3 plays in the month)
          and Caesar & Cleo (older favorite, seems to be making a comeback at
          BLAH and B2O - I played it once at each venue this month, and saw
          others teaching it).

          I can't think of a musical analogy for PR - although I can think of a
          few hundred better than that H&T/VU nonsense. I'll be interested to
          see what others come up with.

          Andrew
        • Craig Massey
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
            --- andagainma <AndAgainMA@...> wrote:
            > --- In Unity_Games@y..., Craig Massey
            > <cwmassey@y...> wrote:
            >
            > > 9 - Hase und Igel/Hare & Tortise... The Velvet
            > Underground of the
            > list as
            > > an acknowledged classic that no one plays.
            >
            > Even though I see Craig's twisted logic here, the
            > gulf in
            > atmophere between H&T and VU is so vast that as to
            > defy description.

            Just because Andy Warhol didn't do the artwork for
            H&T..... maybe the next version will be H&T With Nico.

            > I can't think of a musical analogy for PR - although
            > I can think of a
            > few hundred better than that H&T/VU nonsense.

            I couldn't come up with one - I'm open to suggestions.

            =====
            Craig W. Massey
            cwmassey@...

            http://health.yahoo.com
          • Constantine von Hoffman
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
              boy, you opened up a CD of worms with this one.

              At 06:36 AM 8/2/02 -0700, Craig wrote:
              >10 - Jack the Ripper is to Mystery Rummy what The Joshua Tree is to
              >U2.

              Pretentious music you can't dance to?

              >9 - The Velvet Underground of the list as
              >an acknowledged classic that no one plays.
              >
              >8 - Given the fact the Friese's other games
              >always have something interesting and worthwhile in
              >them, but never get a lot of play time, it makes him
              >the Elvis Costello of this month's list.

              You obviously have never been to my house, where the velvets and elvis are
              behind only Hank Williams and the other Elvis for time on my cd player.

              >7 - Carolus Magnus: Like the Tommy Tutone one hit
              >wonder 867-5309 ... one that I loved and played a lot a
              >few years ago.

              dead on. still a good song, too.

              >6 - If Jack The Ripper is The Joshua Tree, then Wyatt Earp is
              >All That You Can't Leave Behind.

              see no 10.

              >5 - Battle Cry: This one is a late bloomer for me not
              >unlike the Rolling Stones who I ignored until I was in
              >college.

              I hope to meet you at Antietam sometime soon; this is a game i always love
              to play. (ooops that was on topic, sorry!)

              >3 - You like the Van Halen remake, but the Kinks original version is
              >still better.

              now there's an understatement.

              >2 - Spades: It's well on its way to being the Dark Side Of The Moon with
              >its steady appearances
              >on the charts.

              does this mean spades is only good when you're stoned?

              >1 - Puerto Rico: For the life of me, I can't win this damn
              >game with 5. I'm wide open to a musical analogy here.

              i probably couldn't win this game solitaire. i like it though. Maybe it's
              like Sgt. Pepper -- an instant classic?

              Constantine

              The plural of anecdote is not data.
            • Eric Shultz
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
                > I can't think of a musical analogy for PR - although
                > I'll
                > be interested to
                > see what others come up with.
                >
                > Andrew

                Maybe Emminem. Love it or don't love it, you can't
                drive down the street without hearing it blasting out
                of some punk kid's car.

                Or Bowie. It's got elements of everything through
                several decades, yet it's distinctive.

                I think that's why people keep playing it, but don't
                want to make it an "all-time" game. They don't want
                to say "It's one of the best games ever" and have
                someone say "There's nothing really new about it".

                What I'd like to know is how many people have played
                some 3-Player Puerto Rico? I think with three
                players, someone who goes all out with building will
                win almost all the time. Hopefully people will prove
                me wrong by saying they have won more than once with a
                different strategy in 3-player.

                Eric

                http://health.yahoo.com
              • cwmassey
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
                  --- In Unity_Games@y..., Eric Shultz <swift_4@y...> wrote:
                  > Maybe Emminem. Love it or don't love it, you can't
                  > drive down the street without hearing it blasting out
                  > of some punk kid's car.

                  Amazingly enough that works.

                  > I think that's why people keep playing it, but don't
                  > want to make it an "all-time" game. They don't want
                  > to say "It's one of the best games ever" and have
                  > someone say "There's nothing really new about it".

                  Well, for me, its not going to crack the all time game top 10 until
                  it shows me some staying power. And besides, for now all of my top
                  10 games - hell even top 20 games are ones that I would rather play
                  and are better than Puerto Rico.

                  > What I'd like to know is how many people have played
                  > some 3-Player Puerto Rico? I think with three
                  > players, someone who goes all out with building will
                  > win almost all the time. Hopefully people will prove
                  > me wrong by saying they have won more than once with a
                  > different strategy in 3-player.

                  I've played it a number of times with 3 and I can say with certainty
                  that the building strategy isn't the only way to go. A heavy
                  shipping strategy works just as effectively. It would be tough to
                  convince me that any one strategy for any number of players in PR is
                  dominant. It depends on too many things.

                  Craig

                  > http://health.yahoo.com
                • Constantine von Hoffman
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
                    i thin you're analogy is dead on.

                    At 07:45 AM 8/2/02 -0700, you wrote:
                    > > I can't think of a musical analogy for PR - although
                    > > I'll
                    > > be interested to
                    > > see what others come up with.
                    > >
                    > > Andrew
                    >
                    >Maybe Emminem. Love it or don't love it, you can't
                    >drive down the street without hearing it blasting out
                    >of some punk kid's car.

                    Constantine
                  • Eric Shultz
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
                      I will take your word for it. I think I need to get
                      better at shipping strategy. When I tried a heavy
                      shipping, I think I only had corn and indigo. Is it
                      better to monopolize a good or have more than two? I
                      suppose the answer is "it depends"

                      Eric

                      --- cwmassey <cwmassey@...> wrote:
                      > I've played it a number of times with 3 and I can
                      > say with certainty
                      > that the building strategy isn't the only way to go.
                      > A heavy
                      > shipping strategy works just as effectively. It
                      > would be tough to
                      > convince me that any one strategy for any number of
                      > players in PR is
                      > dominant. It depends on too many things.
                      >
                      > Craig

                      http://health.yahoo.com
                    • Richard Spoonts
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
                        Journalistic integrity compels me to report that, in
                        fact, Dave Rapp won this game of Hase und Igel and
                        that he arrived home with no carrots left over. Way
                        to go, Dave!

                        Journalistic integrity also compels me to report that
                        this was the game that saw Dave Rapp bragging about
                        the size of his, uh, member. Draw your own
                        conclusions.

                        Richard

                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
                          Andrew,

                          Your biases are showing; you'd better cover them up.
                          After all, we wouldn't want to make Rapp jealous.

                          Richard

                          --- andagainma <AndAgainMA@...> wrote:
                          > --- In Unity_Games@y..., Craig Massey
                          > <cwmassey@y...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > 9 - Hase und Igel/Hare & Tortise... The Velvet
                          > Underground of the
                          > list as
                          > > an acknowledged classic that no one plays.
                          >
                          > Even though I see Craig's twisted logic here, the
                          > gulf in
                          > atmophere between H&T and VU is so vast that as to
                          > defy description.

                          http://health.yahoo.com
                        • davelernergames
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
                            I'm still somewhat new to boardgaming, so I don't know what I'm
                            talking about, but that's never stopped me before. Here's my
                            list. I'll choose an analogy with which most of us will be familar.

                            5 TransAmerica: A simple yet non-trivial rail game. Definitely the
                            TransAmerica of games.

                            4 Stage II: Fun, even if some of the questions are a little out of
                            date. I like the fact that it's simultaneous. I think it is the
                            Stage II of games, though many people may not agree.

                            3 Formula De: I know many people don't like dice or luck, but there
                            _is_ an element of risk in racing, so this fits the theme perfectly.
                            And some of the rolls can get exciting. Though I'll call Formula De
                            the Formula De of games, I know there are other games worthy of the
                            same title.

                            2 Call My Bluff: A dice game where luck is not important. This game
                            is a lot of fun!! It's earned its place as the Call My Bluff of
                            games.

                            1 Puerto Rico: Something of a surprise for me, as this is not the
                            type of game I normally like. I usually prefer very light, very fast
                            games. And I prefer one identifiable persona for a game, not a
                            rotation of different characters. But Puerto Rico manages to rise
                            above its genre, and win me over. Will Puerto Rico eventually prove
                            to be the Puerto Rico of games? I believe so.

                            davelernergames
                            Trying not to wind being the davelernergames of Unity Games.
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
                              Eric Shultz <swift_4@...> wrote:

                              >--- Craig Massey <cwmassey@...> wrote:
                              >> Jack the Ripper is to Mystery Rummy what The Joshua
                              >> Tree is to U2.

                              Meaning distilled greatness? I like Wyatt Earp best (no, not
                              technically MR but sort of MR 3.5).

                              >I wish the Joshua Tree never happened.

                              Oh boy! The greatest album from my fourth favorite band.

                              !!Zepplin Rules!! :)

                              dber@...
                            • asciola
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
                                > Meaning distilled greatness? I like Wyatt Earp best (no, not
                                > technically MR but sort of MR 3.5).
                                >
                                > >I wish the Joshua Tree never happened.
                                >
                                > Oh boy! The greatest album from my fourth favorite band.

                                Irish troublemaking bastards. ;)

                                Back to the Stone Roses and Blur...

                                Anthony
                              • Eric Shultz
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 2, 2002
                                  I love U2 as well. Joshua Tree just did something to
                                  them. Pretentious might be the correct word that
                                  someone used to describe the music.

                                  And if I said to you tomorrow
                                  Take my hand child, walk with me
                                  It's to a castle I will take you
                                  Where what's to be they say will be

                                  Led Zep definitely rules. I'll take semi-mystical
                                  mumble-jumble Bullcrap any day.

                                  Eric

                                  http://health.yahoo.com