BLAH SR: Ceaser&Cleopatra, Puerto Rico, San Marco

  • Sean Donohue
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2002
      >Other games played: Caesar and Cleopatra (2), Puerto Rico (5), San
      >Marco (3).
      >
      >Dan

      Well, since I played in all the games that Dan didn't I'll throw in a quick
      synopsis of those.

      Ceasar&Cleopatra (Richard, Sean)

      When I arrived, everybody was playing Wyatt Earp, so I sat for a few minutes
      until Richard arrived. I suggested that we play either Babel or C&C, since
      I hadn't played either of them before, and he preferred C&C, so off we went.
      I think I like the game, but I'll have to try it again to make up my mind
      about it. This playing was incredibly frustrating for me, as I seemed to
      turn over a "no vote" card after every play, which made it very difficult to
      capitalize on my plays. Richard took all but 4 of the patricians, winning
      24 to 6. When I mentioned that my bad luck with vote deck might have played
      some part in my poor score, he said "Yeah, but you suck too". Okay, I'm
      paraphrasing, but that was the gist of it.

      Puerto Rico (Chris, Sean, Tamara, Scott, Adam)

      This was Tamara's first play, so after a lengthy rules explanation (what
      other kind is there with PR?), we got started. I tried playing a shipping
      strategy, taking the Hacienda and the Hospice very early on, but found that
      it took far too long to get the production buildings that I needed to start
      producing. I ended up coming in last place with 25, with Scott taking the
      win with an impressive 53. Richard came by and commented, "Geez, you really
      suck at this game." This time I'm not paraphrasing.

      San Marco (Sean, Chris, Adam)

      Adam tought this one to Chris and I, so I can finally mark it off of my
      mental 'to try' list, and I'm sorry now that I hadn't played this sooner. I
      found the cutting and choosing mechanic forcing me to make excruciatingly
      difficult choices, and I loved every minute of it. This one has moved from
      my 'to try' list straight to my 'to buy' list. I came in last (again) with
      ~49, behind Adam's ~58 and Chris' ~62. Thankfully Richard was in other
      room, and I managed to slip out before he told me that I sucked again.

      Sean
    • Richard Spoonts
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2002
        Dan,

        What an excellent session report! Your observations
        are quite interesting and insightful. It's almost as
        if I was actually there.

        Richard

        --- Dan Schmidt <dfan@...> wrote:
        > I haven't written a session report in a while, but I
        > had thoughts
        > about a bunch of games I played last night, so here
        > we go. Thanks as
        > always to Andrew for hosting.

        http://health.yahoo.com
      • Richard Spoonts
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2002
          Sean,

          Thanks for the additional report on last night's
          session. Your comments and observations suck. Nearly
          as bad as you do.

          Richard

          http://health.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2002
            Dan Schmidt <dfan@...> wrote:

            >I haven't written a session report in a while,
            >but I had thoughts about a bunch of games
            >I played last night, so here we go. Thanks as
            >always to Andrew for hosting.

            Hey.. I enjoyed reading a BLAH report form both you and Sean. A
            nice addition to the great reports that Andrew does on his site
            (although, I have a hard time understanding all that Australian
            lingo he throws about).

            >WYATT EARP (Adam, Andrew, Dan, Scott)
            >
            >First time I had played this with 4, and I liked it.

            We played this at SSG a couple of weeks for the FIRST time since
            about February 2002. Prior to that, it seemed to hit the table
            every week - I certainly had 20+ plays of it last year. It's
            dropped down a bit this year (probably due to overplay) but it is
            still one of my favorite games.

            >ROYAL TURF (Adam, Andrew, Dan, Scott)

            Another game I really enjoy. The more the better (that is, I
            like 5 or 6 more than with 4).

            >MEDINA (Dan, Richard, Andrew)

            This one has dropped way off the play list for me this year. Not
            sure why, I enjoyed my 3 or 4 plays last year, but I don't think
            I've seen it at the table at all this year.

            Nice reports!

            dber@...