June Top 10 Games....Including Fan Letters

  • Craig Massey
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2002
      Well, summer is here which traditionally has meant the
      new games have come and gone. Some stick around
      hitting the table with regularity and others get one
      or two playings and then fade to the back the the
      closet. This means that the summer months see a lot
      of older favorites come out as well as older games
      that were missed the first time around. That's
      certainly the case with this months all new, super
      exciting Top 10 Games Played List.

      I always say in jest that the UG readership is
      clamoring for this list. Everyone knows that the only
      clamoring is in my head. But, this month it seems I
      was off as I found my mailbox stuffed on a daily basis
      with letters from adoring fans. So after reading
      through the deluge, here are 10 letters that fit well
      with this months Top 10.

      Dear Game Snob.

      All I hear is that German games vastly superior to
      everything else. How can you be so myopic and fail to
      acknowledge some of the old classics. You're a jerk.

      Signed
      Bad Mood in Beverly

      Well Bad Mood, it just so happens that I finally tried
      an old classic, playing Star Fleet Battles for the
      first time ever. I always avoided it given the
      volumes of rules, but after trying a 4 player team
      game, I was pleasantly surprised. The basic game
      wasn't all that complicated. I can see this getting
      played a couple times a year or more.

      Dear Egghead,
      Sometimes my group wants something light and simple.
      Even Crokinole is too heavy for us on occassion. I'm
      talking really mindless stuff. I'm just not bright
      enough to handle anything deeper. Suggestions?

      Signed
      An Anal Moron

      Mr. Moron is looking for simple and it just so happens
      that I have the perfect solution. Try Mause Ralleye.
      Frank Branham suggested this last year so I got a copy
      and like an idiot, it sat on my shelf untouched for a
      year. All you do is try to race your mouse head
      around a pothole filled track. Each completed lap
      scores a piece of cheese with the most cheese winning.
      This is all done with a stick used to flick the
      pieces. Very little brain strain and loads of fun.

      Dear Mr. Hypocrite,
      Each month you invariably have an abstract game on
      your list despite repeatedly professing your dislike
      of abstract games. I'm sure this month will be no
      different you big phoney. I love your list by the way
      - keep it up.

      Signed The Cambridge Kasparov.

      I'm glad to see people pay close attention to the
      monthly lists. I do generally dislike abstracts, but
      always seem to find the exceptions. This month is no
      different. Richard S. introduced me to a 2 player
      dice game (yes, this really isn't a true abstract so
      it's an exception to the exception). The game is
      Saxum and its an old Sid Sackson game played on a 5x5
      grid with a bunch of stones and dice. Ask Richard for
      more details.

      Dear Big Loser,
      I tried Wallenstein based on its spot in last months
      top 10. I hated it. What are you recommending this
      month?

      Worked Up in Watertown

      I'm recommending Wallenstein again. I'm enjoying this
      more each time I play it. Anyone who doesn't like
      this is a mental case. Besides, there is almost
      always one game that carries over from month to month.

      #6 and #5
      Oh Wise One
      Your monthly list is a continued source of wisdom and
      inspiration for me. I can't imagine valuing someone's
      opinion any more. What games from the past few years
      see regular play?

      Signed, Bellingham's Answer to Hemingway

      Dear Old Man,
      Two games spring to mind - Ra and Web of Power. Both
      are seeing consistent play since they came out. They
      both provide a nice amount of depth in a short time
      frame and if I were to redo my all time top 20 games,
      they would both have spots. Web of Power now has a
      two player expansion (Kardinal & Konig: Das Duell)
      that works extrememly well.

      To Whom I May Concern,
      I'm on a tight budget. How can I maximize my gaming
      dollar and still have enough cash at the end of the
      week for shoes for the baby and smokes for the wife.

      Signed, A. Nonymus

      Your in luck. You can now get a classic gaming
      experience at a fraction of the price by buying Santa
      Fe Rails. This is a reissue of an older game of
      Alan's - Santa Fe. This one has been updated by GMT
      games. I've had the chance to play it twice now and
      in addition to enjoying it, I've discovered that I own
      Pitt in this game. Good times.

      #3, #2, #1
      Dear Mr. Nixon,
      Lighten up. You need to play more party games. All
      these strategy games on your list have you looking
      like Tricky Dick in wingtips at the beach. There is
      more to life than auctions and tile placement. You
      should be impeached.

      Signed, South End Party Animal

      Dear P.A.
      You're right - sort of. I have a long history of
      party game in the monthly top 10 list. To help prove
      it, I saved spots 3, 2 and 1 for party game this
      month.

      Reel Schpeel is more of a true trivia game, but one
      that is very accessible, especially for fans of the
      silver screen. It has a charades element that keeps
      it a lot of fun. This is an older game that as a
      movie fan, I should have tried much sooner.

      People Magazine Game (Pitt can confirm the title) is a
      two be released game that has a great timer. It
      combines charades, impersonations, and Password skills
      in a nice team game where you try to guess the famous
      celebrity/person. I'm looking forward to trying this
      one again.

      Abtracts is a game that pushes your creativity in clue
      giving beyond the norm. As a clue giver you try to
      get your team to guess the famous place, person or
      thing by providing clues such as "If I were a game, I
      would be a ????" This one has seen a lot of table
      time on the north side of town (we all know this is
      the cool side).

      That's it for now. Keep those letters coming.

      Craig

      =====
      Craig W. Massey
      cwmassey@...

      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
    • asciola
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2002
        > different. Richard S. introduced me to a 2 player
        > dice game (yes, this really isn't a true abstract so
        > it's an exception to the exception). The game is
        > Saxum and its an old Sid Sackson game played on a 5x5
        > grid with a bunch of stones and dice. Ask Richard for
        > more details.

        Richard,

        I'd like more details.

        ABOUT THE DICE GAME.

        Anthony
      • Pitt Crandlemire
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2002
          At 12:52 PM 7/1/02 -0700, Craig Massey wrote:

          >Mr. Moron is looking for simple and it just so happens
          >that I have the perfect solution. Try Mause Ralleye.

          Just so everyone has the opportunity to get the same enjoyment we have, you
          should all know that we play a) with one mouse apiece instead of three; you
          play the cat as soon as your first (and only) mouse takes a dive, and b) we
          also now play without putting the cheese cup in the center of the board,
          making for a huge hole in the middle and a much more pussy-friendly game
          (which is a good thing).

          >I'm recommending Wallenstein again. I'm enjoying this
          >more each time I play it. Anyone who doesn't like
          >this is a mental case.

          True, true. But he was a mental case before he played Wallenstein.

          >Two games spring to mind - Ra and Web of Power.

          OK, Ra still sucks with more than 3 players but it's OK with 3 (but, with
          3, why would you play Ra when you could play Wer Hat Mehr?/Where's Bob's
          Hat? or Schnaeppchen Jagd?). WoP is still great and the 2-player expansion
          worked very well (Hint: cloisters = good, diplomats = not so good).

          >Your in luck. You can now get a classic gaming
          >experience at a fraction of the price by buying Santa
          >Fe Rails. This is a reissue of an older game of
          >Alan's - Santa Fe. This one has been updated by GMT
          >games. I've had the chance to play it twice now and
          >in addition to enjoying it, I've discovered that I own
          >Pitt in this game. Good times.

          You're so easily satisfied. With my abysmal card drawing luck even Jenn
          could own me in this game! (OK, Jenn could own me for a song anyway but
          that's not the point...) GMT did a nice job with the game and it surely is
          a classic but color me blue, as in Clippers blue-on-blue. I'll take the
          game without the luck, thank you very much.

          >Reel Schpeel is more of a true trivia game, but one
          >that is very accessible, especially for fans of the
          >silver screen. It has a charades element that keeps
          >it a lot of fun. This is an older game that as a
          >movie fan, I should have tried much sooner.

          I can't believe I hadn't tried it either, especially since the designer
          (Mary Couzin) is a friend and a dynamo in support of independent designers.
          More info here: http://www.moviegame.com/

          >People Magazine Game (Pitt can confirm the title)

          I was prepared not to like it given that I don't care for People Magazine.
          However, I think it plays very well, has one really innovative mechanic,
          and a cool and innovative timer. Patch Products (TriBond, Malarky, Talkin'
          Tango, Three For All) succeeds again. The game should be available soon.
          More info here: http://www.patchproducts.com/Catalog/peoplegm.HTM

          -Pitt
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2002
            Pitt Crandlemire <pittc@...> wrote:
            >You're so easily satisfied. With my abysmal
            >card drawing luck even Jenn could own me
            >in this game! (OK, Jenn could own me for a
            >song anyway but that's not the point...)

            Just for the record, Jenn has officially taken notice of this. I
            can only pray for Pitt's safety.

            >>Reel Schpeel is more of a true trivia game, but one
            >>that is very accessible, especially for fans of the
            >>silver screen. It has a charades element that keeps
            >>it a lot of fun. This is an older game that as a
            >>movie fan, I should have tried much sooner.

            I'd like to play thsi - can someone bring this to UG4!

            dber@...
          • Craig Massey
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2, 2002
              --- Pitt Crandlemire <pittc@...> wrote:
              > >Two games spring to mind - Ra and Web of Power.
              >
              > OK, Ra still sucks with more than 3 players but it's
              > OK with 3 (but, with
              > 3, why would you play Ra when you could play Wer Hat
              > Mehr?/Where's Bob's
              > Hat? or Schnaeppchen Jagd?).

              Trick taking game verses auction game makes it tough
              to compare them.

              > You're so easily satisfied. With my abysmal card
              > drawing luck even Jenn
              > could own me in this game! (OK, Jenn could own me
              > for a song anyway but
              > that's not the point...) GMT did a nice job with
              > the game and it surely is
              > a classic but color me blue, as in Clippers
              > blue-on-blue. I'll take the
              > game without the luck, thank you very much.

              The excuse of last resort - blame it on bad luck.
              I'll play either game. I'm not sure if I prefer one
              over the other as I enjoy them both quite a bit. For
              the record, I beat Pitt in a game of Clippers too.

              =====
              Craig W. Massey
              cwmassey@...

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 2, 2002