Gaming/Movie weekend wrap-up

  • Muttstain@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 10, 2002
      Another successful weekend. Over 40 people attended this time, including a
      few I had not previously met.

      The highlight of the weekend had to be Alec "shooting the moon" at
      Cancellation Hearts" (this is only the 3rd time I've seen this done in well
      over 10 years of playing).

      The lowlight was a first - Rob and Lev went through the entire first round of
      a game of Celebrities without getting a single point. I've seen mismatched
      team members before, but this was truly a sad, though very funny, occurrence.

      The Movie/Gaming "Smush" went very well, with Team Smeg (Andy, Jerry, and
      Karl) holding off an early challenge from Team Duane Dibley (Aaron, Jesse,
      and Lev) to win by a comfortable margin. Despite losing a team member halfway
      through, Team Vindaloo (Nate and Bill with not much help from Colin), managed
      to keep ahead of Team Suicide Squid (Alec, Brian and Joe) for last place. I
      will post the full set of Smushes shortly. If I recall correctly, almost all
      were solved fairly quickly, with only a couple of hints needed. Thanks again
      to all who submitted.

      Some other observations on the weekend:

      The new expansion certainly adds quite a bit of strategy to Carcassonne. It
      also makes it much harder to trap opposing pieces by creating a space that
      can never be filled in.

      Maybe it's what you "grew up with", but I still find the original German
      Medici to be much easier to see than the American one.

      Even without the jump, I still suck at Carabande.

      5 teams is too many for Celebrities. And boy do I feel old when Peter Cushing
      gets thrown out. (Christoper Lee only survuved because of his recent dual
      appearances in Star Wars and LOTR).

      No two Crokinole boards are alike. I still prefer the slower ones.

      No matter how much food you cook, if you put it out, it will be eaten (except
      for the Chili which I always seem to have left over - are people only being
      polite when they say they like it ?)

      Given the choice, most people would rather play a game than watch a movie.

      Though I still enjoy it, Foppen is TOTALLY random.

      OK, I'll finally give in - The Masochist does win too often at Cosmic
      Encounter.

      The last hand issue is a BIG problem with Nyet!

      There are other games in the world besides Tichu!

      Anyway, a good time was had by all who attended (even Jonah, despite his
      constant need to win every game he plays in, seemed to enjoy himself). The
      next weekend will be some time around late October. I'll let everyone know as
      soon as I finalize the dates.

      I hope to see everyone at UG3 soon.

      -Matt

      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 10, 2002
        > Another successful weekend. Over 40 people attended
        > this time, including a few I had not previously met.

        Wow! Great turnout... Squeezing in that many into a house takes some doing!

        > No two Crokinole boards are alike.

        Absolutely agreed!

        > I hope to see everyone at UG3 soon.

        Hey! That was last November!! I assume you mean UG4... and I asked
        informally at B2O this past Friday and virtually everyone was going! Should
        be great - don't forget it's Saturday July 20th, 2002 for Unity Games 4 -
        everyone here is invited!

        dber@...
      • Frank Branham
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 10, 2002
          On Monday, June 10, 2002, at 12:43 PM, Muttstain@... wrote:

          > 5 teams is too many for Celebrities. And boy do I feel old when Peter
          > Cushing
          > gets thrown out. (Christoper Lee only survuved because of his recent
          > dual
          > appearances in Star Wars and LOTR).

          Blink. Why bother playing Celebrities if the players have never heard of
          ANYBODY? And Peter Cushing was in the first Star Wars movie. And
          Christopher Lee has been in something like 400 films.

          The entire lot should be forced to watch a stream of Hammer movies. If
          they complain, start with Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires. That'll get
          their attention. (Lee plays Dracula in a surreal co-production between
          the UK Hammer Studios and the HK Shaw Brothers Studio. Kung Fu vampires.)

          Moo
          Frank
        • Karl von Laudermann
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 10, 2002
            On Monday, June 10, 2002, at 12:43 PM, Muttstain@... wrote:

            > No matter how much food you cook, if you put it out, it will be eaten
            > (except
            > for the Chili which I always seem to have left over - are people only
            > being
            > polite when they say they like it ?)

            I like your chili, but I'm always afraid that I'll eat too much of it and
            involuntarily start being, um, less bearable to those around me :-) So I
            usually just have one small bowl.

            --
            Karl J. von Laudermann
            karlvonl@...
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 10, 2002
              > From: Frank Branham <moo@...>
              >Subject: Re: Gaming/Movie weekend wrap-up
              >
              >On Monday, June 10, 2002, at 12:43 PM, Muttstain@... wrote:
              >
              >> 5 teams is too many for Celebrities. And boy do I feel old when Peter=20
              >> Cushing
              >> gets thrown out. (Christoper Lee only survuved because of his recent=20
              >> dual
              >> appearances in Star Wars and LOTR).
              >
              >Blink. Why bother playing Celebrities if the players have never heard of=20
              >ANYBODY? And Peter Cushing was in the first Star Wars movie. And=20
              >Christopher Lee has been in something like 400 films.

              I don't think this is reasonable. I was in the game and voted
              against Cushing - I may have before heard the name but certainly had no idea
              who he was. I think "Grand Moff Tarkin" would have been more reasonable
              and personally certainly would not have voted against it. Still, he is
              a secondary character and not knowing the actor who played him doesn't seem
              a sin to me.
              I have the IMDB list of Cushing's movies up in front of me and have
              seen a TINY fraction of them, probably around 3 - hard to tell as names of
              some of these are so similar to others. Don't like Horror movies at all and
              the vast majority of his roles seem in Horror (and 25+ years ago).

              >The entire lot should be forced to watch a stream of Hammer movies. If=20
              >they complain, start with Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires. That'll get=20
              >their attention. (Lee plays Dracula in a surreal co-production between=20
              >the UK Hammer Studios and the HK Shaw Brothers Studio. Kung Fu vampires.)
              >
              >Moo
              >Frank

              Aaron
            • Frank Branham
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 10, 2002
                There are people who don't like horror movies? I though they were a
                myth... Curiously, Peter Cushing is actually a very COMMON personality
                to turn up in our games. Enough to where a quick charade of hammer and
                stake is an almost ritualistic gesture.

                (Our other REALLY common person is Charles Fort. The gesture is to allow
                your hand to drop to the table then flop back and forth like a dying
                fish.)

                Moo
                Frank

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 16, 2004
                  It's nearly 2:00 am Monday night and my hot water heater just blew up, so if
                  this report is a bit short and lacks the usual wit, please forgive me…

                  Anyway, this was another very successful weekend with nearly 60 different
                  people attending; many for the first time. Once again, I failed to have a signup
                  sheet, and I have had to reconstruct the guest list from memory, so if I have
                  left anyone out, I apologize.

                  In attendance at some point during the weekend were:

                  Aaron F, Alec, Andy L (just getting over being sick), Bill K, Bill S,
                  Brandon, Brian H, Brian K, Bruce R, Bruce S, Chip, Cori, Courteny, Craig, Cuihua,
                  Dario, David (Novalis), Dawn, Deanne, Donna, Doug O, Ed L (without Rose who was
                  sick), Frank (without Stacey who was sick), Gordon, Greg, Jen (Jan?), Jerry
                  (kind of sick) , Jill (who thankfully is now better), John C, Julia, Karen,
                  Karl, Katherine, Kevin, Kimberley, Laura 1, Laura 2, Lev, Lynda, Maria, (who was
                  to come back on Saturday to do more filming but her son was sick), Mark K.,
                  Mark N (Naha), Mary Anne, Miera, Mike C (on Sunday of course when no pool players
                  were left), Nate, Pete, Phil (without Sue who having back trouble), Raymond,
                  Rich, Rick, Rob, Sarah 1, Sarah B, Seth, Tom, and me.

                  My personal highlight came just before the festivities started, when Frank
                  asked me to be the Best Man at his and Stacey's wedding next April. Best of
                  Luck, guys! Frank found a keeper, as she not only puts up with him, but she even
                  claims to really like me!

                  The big highlight of the weekend was of course the long-anticipated "Set"
                  showdown between Kimberley and Novalis. Although Dave got off to a very fast
                  start with the first 5 sets and put quite a scare into Kimberley, once she got her
                  rhythm down, she came storming back, winning the first game 13-10, and even
                  bigger in the 2nd to sweep the 2 out of 3 match. No kiss this time - keep
                  practicing Dave! There was quite a bit of action on the match (including some 2-1
                  odds), but while the faithful won a couple of bucks on the match, I chickened
                  out and didn't bet. Sorry Kimberley, I'll have more faith next time!

                  Lowlight (though I thought it was quite amusing), was when Cuihua took me up
                  on my hot sauce challenge. Although I repeatedly warned her, I think she
                  wanted to prove something to Kevin by going first. One drop of the stuff, and she
                  was jumping up and down and gulping down water like a sick fish. (I know how
                  she felt, so I thought it was pretty funny, though I did kind of feel bad - but
                  I did warn her.) Needless to say, Kevin chickened out.

                  Alec and Nate also took the challenge. Alec mixed his with Jill's hot dog
                  casserole, and had an interesting reaction, as he shrugged, smiled, and said
                  "yeah, it's a bit hot!" Ultimately though, it got the best of him, and he was
                  unable to finish the bowl, as was Nate who opted to add a bit to my chili (too bad
                  he ruined it for himself as it was a pretty good one this time if I do say so
                  myself!)

                  The film crew got some pretty good stuff on Friday, and Donna and Karen
                  seemed to be having a great time, even joining in for a couple of rounds of
                  Crokinole (on my $17.95 at Amazondotcom board), though stopping for a few drinks at
                  Bennigan's beforehand may have helped. Unfortunately, Maria was unable to
                  return as planned on Saturday to tape the Haste Worte game. Hopefully, they can
                  combine Friday's stuff with the filming Maria did last time and come up with a
                  good show. I'll let people know when it airs (assuming it actually does this
                  time!)

                  The movies were not all that well-liked this time around. Even though I
                  warned people ahead of time, Lynda really wanted to see "Evil Alien Conquerors"
                  with Tori Spelling and her unibrow. While the reaction to this disaster was as I
                  expected, I was disappointed that people didn't seem to like "Cheerleader
                  Ninjas" or "Repli-Kate" either, both of which I find quite amusing. Unfortunately,
                  I had to set up an extra gaming table in front of the TV for awhile (at one
                  point someone said there were 7 games going at once), so the movies got cut
                  back a bit.

                  Other events of note during the weekend included Dawn once again kicking
                  everyone's butt in "Wise or Otherwise". Getting almost all of my points on one
                  proverb (I got the right one and 3 people guessed mine), I narrowly avoided
                  coming in last again by one point.

                  The Celebrities game with 3 teams of 3 ended up with a final score of 49 to
                  48 to 47 which is as exciting a finish as we could get. I dumbed down my
                  Celebrities per request (only one somewhat obscure sci-fi character), yet the ones I
                  put in that people should have known still created problems. , Something as
                  stupid as "Thomas the Tank Engine" actually got thrown out on a 5 to 4 vote ( I
                  don't watch that crap, but I thought everyone knew who he is!)

                  We managed to get 2 Cosmic Encounter Games in, both ending with the stupid
                  "Time Out" Moon which caused the game to end 20 minutes from when it was
                  revealed with a funky point system instead of the normal win conditions. With 300
                  Moons in the game, it was pretty bad that this happened twice in 2 games. I
                  invoked it the first time, as Pete was running away with the game, and I figured
                  we could all gang up on him. While I managed to take out his Weed (and most of
                  his points) just as time expired, the tokens I had allied with him just for
                  the heck of it to improve my pathetic final total allowed him to win the last
                  challenge and just eke past Jerry anyway. In the second instance, I managed to
                  land on "Moon Boon" in Rick's system (giving me an extra token and 2 points
                  that were the difference in the game). Had I gone to the other Moon my tokens
                  there would have been trapped on "Stay Put" and would have been unable to score
                  me points at all. Hmmm, where was that dumb luck in tonight's Poker Tournament?
                  I'm still mad at Brian - last year I was all in with a pair of Kings in the
                  hole and he flopped 3 Queens to knock me out. This time I had him all in with a
                  pair of Kings in the hole and he managed to flop 2 more aces to put a serious
                  dent in my stack. (Note to self - fold against Brian if you are dealt a pair
                  of Kings!) I guess I'm kind of glad Andy beat him head to head in the end!

                  We had 2 crazy games of Tayu - the first ending on the 7th tile when I was
                  unable to make a legal play, and the second at only the 12th tile. If I hadn't
                  played the game before, I'd have sworn it was broken. (The 3rd time, we
                  actually managed to complete a reasonable game.)

                  Haste Worte was again a lot of fun. Rob did a nice job of mixing and matching
                  categories so that different people on each team were able to contribute
                  (unlike my Pub Trivia last time where there were too many people who were totally
                  clueless). I'm still not sure who won, as my team was involved in a
                  tie-breaker (for which Rob did not have a complete list) and even as of this morning
                  there is still some question as to which songs actually contain "Boston" in the
                  title or lyrics. Unofficially my team was credited with the victory, and I did
                  manage to pawn off some more prize table stuff (Unfortunately, neither Amy nor
                  her painting made it to the party as her cat was sick - boy there was a lot
                  of that going around).

                  Gaming lasted until 6:30 am Friday night, 5:30 am Saturday night, and nearly
                  2:00 am Sunday (I guess it's not all bad that I still have no job!) I thought
                  some crazy person was arriving to play just as we were finally ending
                  Saturday, but it was my Sunday Globe delivery. You know you are up too late when the
                  Sunday paper arrives, and you haven't gone to bed yet.

                  Bad call by Mike, going to somewhere else Friday, to Tom Tracey's party
                  Saturday night, then showing up on Sunday to play pool. Where were you when Brian K
                  was mopping the floor with everyone? (Never trust a guy who brings his own
                  cue!)

                  Anyway, that's about it for now. Special thanks to Rob for hosting Haste
                  Worte, Jill for the Hot Dog casserole, Raymond for the chicken, Cuihua for doing
                  the dishes, and all who brought snacks, drinks, etc (by the way, Nate, I found
                  the cheese dip!)

                  Next party will be late May/Early June. Hope to see everyone there.

                  -Matt

                • Muttstain@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 3, 2005
                    Attendees:

                    Aaron, Ahmet, Alec, Alex, Andy, Arlene, Ben P, Bob G, Brian K, Bruce R,
                    Bruce S, Cheryl, Chris H, Chris Y, Cori, Craig, Danielle, Dave M, David W,
                    Deanne, Debbie, Ed, Esther, Gerry, Greg N, Greg O, Harvey, Jasmine, Jennie, Joe D,
                    Joe R, Joel, John C, John F, Joyce, Kimberly, Lev, Lilly, Lynda, Marc M,
                    Maria, Marina, Mark K, Mark N, Marty, Mike C, Nate, Norma, Pete, Phil, Raymond,
                    Rob, Rose, Seth, Shari, Susan, Ted, Tyler, a Framingham Police Officer (more on
                    that later), and me.

                    Special thank you's to my special guest, Greg Olotka (and his father Peter
                    who made an appearance via telephone), to Rob for once again running Haste
                    Worte, to all who brought food, drinks, and games, and an extra special thank
                    you to the Framingham Police Officer who took the time to find out who all the
                    cars belonged to and gave us time to move them to the correct side of the
                    street.

                    The weekend highlight had to be phoning Peter Olotka for a Cosmic Encounter
                    rules clarification. It came down to the "s" on one of the cards - looks like
                    being rules lawyers all these years has been the correct way to do things.
                    Peter was home recovering from eye surgery and unable to join us, but hopefully
                    both Greg and Peter will be able to make the June weekend.

                    The chili cookoff didn't exactly work out as planned, since very few people
                    tried both of them. Mostly, if people wanted meat in their chili, they ate
                    Greg's and if they didn't they had mine. People who had both diplomatically said
                    that they liked both. (And yes, I had Greg's and liked it, though he won't
                    say the same about mine).

                    I need to get more organized on getting people together for the Haste Worte
                    game, as we once again started quite late. Thankfully there were no really big
                    categories, and my team scored a come from behind victory on a tie-breaker
                    by remembering the 1970's British sitcom "No Honestly" which ran on PBS way
                    back when I was a kid (even though this wasn't on Rob's list, enough people
                    remembered it that we got to count it). And we really didn't need the
                    distraction of the police once the game had finally started - but it was much better
                    than a line of parking tickets. Guess next year I'll remember that any day in
                    Winter is deemed to be a "snow emergency" in Framingham, and "even side
                    restriction" means you CAN'T park on the even side. My apologies again to
                    everyone I told to park on the wrong side, and yes, I would have eaten the parking
                    tickets had everyone gotten them (easy for me to say now, huh??)

                    The pool table got some real use this time (as well as being an overflow
                    game table when it was clear that the porch was too cold to play on). It also
                    was a good table for Texas Hold'Em. Why is it I always do so poorly at these
                    tournaments, yet almost always win money playing poker at Foxwoods??

                    I didn't get to try any new games, but there were plenty of old favorites.
                    My personal low for the weekend was scoring over 170 points in a 2-player game
                    of St. Petersbugh at 4:00 in the morning, and still losing by over 50 points
                    to Dave M! (Another low was having an entire set thrown out in Celebrities -
                    I can understand people not remembering Basil Wolverton, but Antonio Prohias
                    and Sergio Aragones?? Am I really THAT old???)

                    Best movie of the weekend was a low-budget flick that was made in
                    Massachusetts - "Loons" - Cheesy acting, bad effects, and clowns! What more could you
                    ask for? And it was rated PG! (The DVD even had a 2nd bonus movie with most
                    of the same actors). As an aside, I still think we need to make a movie one of
                    these days.

                    Found - 1 Blue Land's End Sweater (Shari?) and one really funky looking red
                    hat with a leopard trim and tassle-like things. If anyone knows who this
                    belongs to, please let me know.
                    I also still have a white scarf from the last party.

                    It was nice to give some of the on-line Cosmic Encounter players a chance to
                    meet face-to-face for the first time. It always helps to be able to put a
                    face with a name the next time you play. Still working on the pictures of the
                    power cards from my set, but Alec has some other pictures of the games and from
                    the party. I'll see about getting them posted somewhere.

                    Dig of the day goes to Stacey - gee what's more important, your Bachelorette
                    Party or my gaming weekend? Couldn't you have told your friends you had
                    something else to do??? And Julia, couldn't those boxes have packed and moved
                    themselves? We had a great time even without you though :)

                    Suggestions?? Complaints?? TOUGH! Praises?? Be sure to send them to me...
                    Seriously, if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Does Haste
                    Worte still work? Do you want more movies? Is it worth continuing this event
                    through Sunday? (Only 4 people showed up on Sunday this year down from 15 last
                    time) Feedback is appreciated.

                    My games puzzle for Alf's hunt is finally finished. If you aren't going to
                    be there and would like to test it for me (I need to have it submitted
                    YESTERDAY, so I'll need a fast response) please let me know.

                    Lastly, I will be placing a "Board and Bits" order tomorrow. If you want to
                    get in on it, please let me know as soon as you can. They offer good prices,
                    and a flat $12 shipping charge regardless of the size of the order.

                    Until next time (probably June)...

                    -Matt

                  • Muttstain@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 8, 2005
                      Guest List:

                      Aaron F, Aaron M, Alec, Alison, Andy, Bart, Ben P, Bill K., Brian K, Bruce
                      S, Cally, Cheryl, Chris, Corey, Craig, Deanne, Donna, Doug O, Ed, Ella, Frank,
                      Gary, George, Greg O, Harvey, Jason, Jennie, Jeremy, Jeremy W, Jerry, Jessie,
                      John C, John F, Joe D, Joe R, Julia, Karl, Kimberly, Laurie, Leonard, Lev,
                      Lynda, Marc, Mark K, Mark N, Marty B, Melissa, Mike C, Nate, Pete D, Peter O,
                      Phil, Rob, Seth, Tor, Tyler, Yasmine, and me.

                      Thanks to Rob for running "Why Did the Chicken?" on Saturday, and
                      congratulations to Cheryl for winning. Thanks also to Tor for "The New Voyages". And a
                      very special thanks to Greg and Peter Olatka for bringing some of their
                      personal Cosmic Encounter memorabilia, including the original 1977 Parker Brothers
                      version that was never released.

                      Except for my continued worrying over my lost cat (10 days and counting now
                      - I'm afraid she isn't coming back), the weekend went very well. Maybe it was
                      because Greg and Peter were planned for Friday, but the crowds were much more
                      spread out throughout the weekend. While there were fewer people than usual
                      on Saturday, there were more on Friday (and surprisingly a pretty good
                      turnout Sunday afternoon despite the weather).

                      I got to introduce Peter O to my Cosmic Encounter set, and managed to drag
                      out a few old favorites as well that I haven't played for awhile. We beat the
                      traitor in Shadows Over Camelot, and my team eked out a one-point win in
                      Celebrities. And I managed to go the entire weekend without playing Tichu!

                      Weirdness ensued from my slot machine, as both Aaron M and Alec managed to
                      hit some kind of mega jackpot that caused it to play music for a long, long
                      time. After Alec's win, I tried unplugging it, and even hours later when I
                      turned it back on it still played. I had to open it up and put another batch of
                      tokens directly into the machine for it to spit out before it returned to
                      normal. Good thing it isn't real quarters or I'd be broke!

                      I only managed to sell a couple of games, and I need to do alot better to
                      make room for the new stuff. I will be listing these separately on the UG group
                      shortly before putting them on Ebay. One of the things I am selling is an old
                      version of Illuminati Deluxe. Does anyone know what a fair price for this
                      is?

                      Anyway, that's it for now. As always, if you are getting this email in error
                      (or multiple times) blame AOL, which is still randomly putting names into my
                      address book.

                      Next party in February or March...

                      Happy Holidays.

                      -Matt

                    • Muttstain@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 18 8:41 PM
                        Attendees:

                        Aaron F, Aaron R, Alec, Alisan, Amy, Andy, Ben P, Betsi, Bill K, Brandon,
                        Brian H, Brian K, Bruce R, Bruce S, Cally, Cherity, Cheryl, Cindy, Colleen,
                        Cori, Craig, Dave H, Dave M, David F, Deanne, Doug, Ed, Elaine, Ella, Frank,
                        Gary, Harvey, Jerry, Jessica, Joe D, Joe R, John C, Karl, Ken, Kim, Lev, Lynda,
                        Mark K, Marty B, Matthew, Melissa, Mike, Naha, Nolan, Perkins, Pete, Phil,
                        Ray, Rob, Robin, Seth, Steve, William and me. (Someone threw away one of my
                        attendance sheets, so if I forgot anyone, I apologize)

                        Special thanks to Craig and Cori for the Deli Platters, Phil and Frank for
                        supplementing the poker chips, Ken for getting my new games up from NJ in time,
                        Cheryl and Gary for manning the grill, and Rob for organizing the swap
                        (though it was supposed to be a SWAP, not a DUMP ALL THE JUNK I DON'T WANT AT
                        MATT'S HOUSE!). At least I traded away one of my duplicate DVD's.

                        Congratulations to Ray for outlasting 18 other players in the main poker
                        game, and Cori for coming in 2nd (after nearly having to be dragged into the
                        game). I came in 8th, losing when my King kicker lost to Dave M's Ace kicker.
                        Congratulations to ME for winning the 2nd smaller tournament, though there were
                        only 7 players in that one. Special mention to Nolan who arrived late,
                        managed to avoid having any chips blinded off, then went all in (and all out) on
                        his first hand!

                        There were nearly 20 people here on Friday, 50 (plus me) in and out on
                        Saturday, and a handful on Sunday, including a hearty few who made it to all 3
                        days. While we played games until 5:30 am on both Friday and Saturday (I hate
                        going to sleep when it's already light out), I realized that since I slept until
                        noon it was not really all that different than a typical night of up until 2
                        and sleep until 7:30. I actually slept more than I sometimes do on a work
                        night (and definitely more than on a typical Thursday game night).

                        There were some pretty cheesy movies played throughout the weekend, but
                        there is no doubt in my mind that the worst movie ever made is "Humanoids from
                        Atlantis". Though I had seen it on VHS years ago, I enjoyed the director
                        commentary on the DVD. While he was too embarrassed to show his face, he admitted
                        that most of the film was ad-libbed, as they were supposed to film much of it
                        under water in Ohio in March, and had to throw out almost the entire script
                        because it was too cold. Only 40 pages of script (and 45 minutes of movie)
                        made it before the actor playing the monster got pissed off about looking like
                        "the creature from the Black Lagoon in drag" and quit in the middle of a
                        scene. Yep, that was the thrilling climax of a wonderful film.

                        Random thoughts about other games played during the weekend:

                        I think Niagara may be the new Carcassonne - an elegant game ruined by
                        poorly thought-out expansions.l At least Carcassonne had a couple of good ones
                        before they got to that point!

                        It's a major disadvantage to go first in St. Petersburgh and Nexus Ops.

                        If you haven't played a game in awhile, it pays to reread the rules. My
                        apologies for the complete mess we made of the Viva Pamplona game (though in
                        fairness, I was not the only one who had played before!)

                        We made it through a Celebrities game with only ONE name being thrown out,
                        and it wasn't mine! That has to be a record.

                        I was supposed to be actively collecting money for the August 17th Unity
                        Games, but forgot to mention it throughout the weekend. If you are interested in
                        pre-registering, let me know as soon as possible. For more info, go to the
                        Unity Games site.

                        Does anyone know which issue of Game Trade Magazine has the 2nd promo card
                        for Sitting Ducks? The card has started popping up on Ebay, so it must be a
                        recent one.

                        That's it for now. I hope everyone enjoyed themselves. Next party should be
                        in October.

                        -Matt

                      • Jeff Michaud
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 18 10:36 PM
                          At 11:41 PM 7/18/2006, you wrote:
                          >I was supposed to be actively collecting money for the August 17th Unity
                          >Games, but forgot to mention it throughout the weekend. If you are interested in
                          >pre-registering, let me know as soon as possible. For more info, go to the
                          >Unity Games site.

                          I assume you meant for the August 19th UG :) In any case, if anyone is
                          unable to pay one of the collectors before the deadline, you can also
                          pre-pay up to the deadline (2 weeks before, ie. Aug. 5th) by going to:

                          http://www.unitygames.org/ugxi/ugxi.htm

                          and scrolling down to the heading "Want to Pay with Paypal?" (at least
                          3/4's of the way down).

                          And it sounds like I missed a fun time at your gaming weekend!

                          Jeff
                        • muttstain2
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 7 8:18 PM
                            Late again, naturally...

                            Once again, over 50 people were there, though this time there was not
                            a single newbie. Just a reminder for future parties - FRIENDS ARE
                            WELCOME.

                            Attendees: Aaron F, Aaron M, Andy K, Andy L, Arlene, Ben P, Bill K,
                            Billy, Brian H, Brian K, Bruce S, Catherine, Cheryl, Ed, Elizabeth,
                            Ella, Frank, Gary, Jennifer, Jerry, Joe D, Joe M, Joe R, John C,
                            Judy, Karl, Kimberly, Laurie, Lev, Lynda, Marc, Mark, Melissa F,
                            Melissa P, Mike C, Nate, Noli, Paul R, Pete, Peter B, Phil, Rachel,
                            Rick, Rob, Sarah, Seth, Steve B, Steve S, Sue, Tor and me.

                            Broken down, there were 17 people Friday, 33 Saturday, and a Sunday
                            record of 29 (thanks in part to Pete's birthday.)

                            Special thanks to Phil and Sue for bringing Rock Band, Frank for the
                            poker chips, and everyone who brought food, games, and movies. Extra
                            special thanks to those who actually helped do some cleanup at 4:00
                            am. Though some shelves upstairs ended up knocked over, the house
                            actually survived in pretty good shape this time, and Jerry didn't
                            break any lights!

                            Congratulations to Kim for winning the big poker tournament, and to
                            John C and me for winning the small ones. (As seems to happen a lot,
                            John won his heads up against me by virtue of a Queen kicker vs a
                            Jack on the final hand, but I'm still happy with a first and 2nd
                            place finish - though not with the 15th place in the big one).

                            As usual, Tichu was the most played game of the weekend. Wise and
                            Otherwise was again a highlight (now we all know who St. Nipomuc
                            was!) , with Joe D. joining in a full round late and still beating
                            me. My favorite new games this year are Hanging Gardens, Thebes, and
                            Galaxy Trucker (thanks to Brian for pointing out that we should not
                            have been blowing up entire ships when the middle crew compartment is
                            lost - a frequent occurrence with the Rough Roads expansion;
                            especially from the piercing projectiles and the explosive cargo and
                            batteries). And it's nice to actually play Shooting Ducks with people
                            who have not yet signed the ABM treaty ("anyone but Matt"), as I
                            finally got to win.

                            We did not get to play any Cosmic Encounter this weekend, but
                            there's another new version about to be released from Fantasy Flight,
                            so maybe next time.

                            The movie surprise of the weekend was the Reefer Madness musical
                            remake, which turned out to be a lot of fun to watch with a crowd. A
                            couple of the short films from the Heartland Horrors series were
                            quite good as well. I had never heard of the Horror Channel, but the
                            season set was under $5 so I took a chance on it. Even though Aaron F
                            claims that Space Precinct was awful after watching less than one
                            episode, I really enjoy the series and was happy to find others
                            interested in seeing the pilot episode. Thanks to all who chipped in
                            last year to buy the British set for me. Maybe next time we will
                            watch an episode of Space Patrol (the 1960's era German show that
                            represents the mysterious last suit of "Space Beans") Unfortunately,
                            my copy is in German, but it's fun to watch the irons and toasters
                            that were used for props. At least now I understand the Space Beans
                            artwork.

                            This is the last time I am going to cook the burgers and hot dogs in
                            pans, as I was unable to keep up with you vultures. For the next
                            party, a volunteer would be nice to man the grill outside while I
                            cook the chili inside.

                            That's it for now. I hope you all enjoy attending these as much as I
                            enjoy throwing them. The next party will be in October. Depending on
                            whether I go to Chiller, it may be a Halloween party, or it may
                            include a celebration of the October birthdays in the group (me, John
                            and Kimberly).

                            -Matt
                          • Muttstain@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 5 8:10 PM
                              Attendees:

                              Aaron M, Andy, Angela, Arlene, Ben P, Ben R, Bill K, Blair, Brian K, Bruce
                              R, Bruce S, Cally, Cathy, Cheryl, Christine, Ed, Elizabeth, Ellowyn, Frank,
                              Gary, George, Jennifer, Jerry, Joe R, John C, Karl, Ken, Kimberly, Laurie,
                              Lev, Lynda, Marc, Melissa P, Mike C, Nate, Paul R, Peter B, Peter D,
                              Richard, Rick, Rob, Sean, Seth, Sharon, Steve S, Trina and me.

                              Broken down, it was just under 20 people on Friday, around 35 on Saturday,
                              and 15 on Sunday. A few hearty soles attended all 3 days.

                              Thanks to Richard for bringing the Wii, Mike for the games, Peter B for
                              working on the computer, Cheryl and Gary for the Chicken, George for helping
                              with the grill, and everyone else who brought stuff.

                              Partly because the grill was so slow, and maybe as a result of a couple of
                              funny colored burgers from the brand new box from Market Basket, but the
                              entire pot of chili was eaten this time. When I taste-tested it Thursday
                              night, I had feared it might be too hot for people, but I guess when it comes
                              down to burning your tongue or potential botulism, the choice is easy :)

                              Belated Happy birthdays to Lev and Pete. You'd think after knowing him for
                              35 years, I would not have forgotten to have a gift for ready for Pete...

                              Congratulations to John for winning the Poker (again).

                              Weekend highlights included a classic "old-style" Cosmic Encounter game on
                              the original home-made set. In a briskly moving game, with little arguing
                              or rules issues, Rick (despite all the help I had given him earlier) went
                              for a solo win, and with the help of a well-timed Force Field, won easily.
                              (In the old days, he probably would have invited me on for the joint win and
                              then Force Fielded me off his side anyway, so I guess he has mellowed with
                              age).

                              On a related note, Phil has spent a great deal of time recreating not only
                              my deck, but hundreds more cards and is looking at making a bunch of decks,
                              Anyone interested in getting a set, please let him know. Artscow may be
                              one way to do this, but if we can get enough people interested, it may be
                              cheaper to go through a printer. Assuming you want not only my 350 Flares, but
                              also the other 150 or so Phil has thrown in, plus all the other cards, it
                              will likely be a couple of hundred bucks for a set (not including the power
                              cards).

                              Also, the Japanese company that makes Shadow Hunters has released high
                              quality pdf files of the new characters, and with Brian's help, I am looking
                              to make a deck for printing via Artscow. Since decks are made for 54 cards,
                              I am looking to create a few new characters to include as well. My first
                              attempt is ready for playtesting, but if anyone else has any other ideas for
                              characters, feel free to send them to me.

                              Now that I have moved the region-free DVD player and set up a regular one,
                              we were able to play a full game of "Shout About the Movies". Our team was
                              being crushed until the final round when both teams bet everything and the
                              blue team blew it.

                              Movie highlights included "Monarch of the Moon", a spoof of 1930's science
                              fiction serials in the style of "Lost Skeleton of Cadavra" and the
                              Norwegian Nazi Zombie comedy "Dead Snow". This one is currently playing on local
                              cable systems "On Demand". If you can get past all the typos in the
                              subtitles, the last half is very reminiscent of the old "Evil Dead" films.

                              Lowlight was Mr. Big Mouth (me) going through the standard routine when
                              explaining the rules to "Fab Fib". Once again I mentioned that I've never seen
                              the triple zero get to throw someone out of the game. I had been playing a
                              perfect game, with most of the others either on the back side of the card,
                              or already out, when I handed Aaron M a "3,0,0". I sort of goaded him on
                              - "you COULD throw out the 3 and try for a one in ten chance..." So of
                              course, he does so, draws a "0", and throws me out of the game.

                              It was great to see Ben P up from Washington, and there were actually 5
                              people who traveled over 3 hours to attend.

                              I trust everyone who attended had a good time, and I look forward to seeing
                              everyone next time. The next party will likely be in October. In the
                              meantime, we continue to average around 10-12 people every Thursday night for
                              FRAGS. If you can't wait for October, you are welcome to join us on Thursdays.

                              -Matt

                              Steps!
                              (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222887319x1201497660/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=Jul
                              yExcfooterNO62)