RE: [Unity_Games] a-yard-salin' (location correction)

  • Matthew Horn
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
      >> Buena Vista Ave? Wow, that's practically on top of my house!

      Haven't you heard about the new bypass?

      BTW, I disagree that all the good stuff is gone within the first hour. I don't think most yard-saling blue-haired early-birds go for the games. The Noble House and HuggerMugger games were at a yard sale at around 11am, a good 2 hours after the initial onslaught.

      Of course, if you are looking for old postcards and colored glass bottles, then yes, by all means, start at 8am.
    • Eric Shultz
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
        Good point. I think the board games would be up to
        chance if someone who knows what they're looking at
        passes by. We still drive by a lot of sales in the
        middle of the day and afternoon. If we see
        Scattergories and Scruples boxes prominently
        displayed, we usually keep on going.

        Of course, there's probably great games hidden behind
        them, but when you've got toddlers in the car, you
        only have a limited number of stops before the
        screaming starts.

        Eric

        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
          Eric wrote:

          > For the Attleboro folks, there is a neighborhood yard
          > sale June 8 at and around Buena Vista drive (Right
          > near Dave B's house, I believe. Near 123 and 1a).

          Hey! I don't live near there! As you corrected, that's Mark's group (which
          I need to get back down to when life settles down again). However, we are
          hoping to buy a house not far from Mark. It's got this great big open
          finished room above the garage that will be 100% game room with built-in
          shelves and plenty of table space. With a little good fortune, look for
          some game action there sometime in... say... August!

          dber@...
        • Eric Shultz
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
            Well, best of luck. We could be neighbors soon. We
            have friends on Buena Vista drive who got really
            excited about Carcassonne. The trouble is, all our
            friends have kids aged baby to Kindergarten. It's a
            little hard to go gaming when you're exhausted by 8
            PM.

            We're going to try for a gaming session (with our kids
            awake!) Sunday. The session report will probably read
            like this:

            Played for 3 hours. Almost finished one game of
            Carcassonne. We're not sure who won because the
            scoring track kept getting tipped over and the tiles
            scattered. Broke up 16 fights over toys, played 2
            Disney videos, handed out 57 crackers, filled 8 sippy
            cups of juice, and breastfed twice.

            Someday I'll visit Mark's house without the kids, or
            Barnes and Nobles. I'd love to be able to relax a
            little as I play.

            Eric

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
              >>Played for 3 hours. Almost finished one game of
              >>Carcassonne. We're not sure who won because the
              >>scoring track kept getting tipped over and the tiles
              >>scattered. Broke up 16 fights over toys, played 2
              >>Disney videos, handed out 57 crackers, filled 8 sippy
              >>cups of juice, and breastfed twice.

              Sounds like a typical Friday night at B20. Except for the breastfeeding, of course. That happens ALOT more than twice a night.
            • danger.mouse@attbi.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                > Someday I'll visit Mark's house without the kids, or
                > Barnes and Nobles. I'd love to be able to relax a
                > little as I play.

                Eric you're more than welcome to come any time! Although since your a dad I'll probably offload a kid on you at some point in the evening if the going gets tough. ;-)

                Mark
              • Eric Shultz
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                  I'm sure my wife and I would be welcome. You've said
                  so before. I can handle other people's kids great.
                  I'm a teacher and know how to deal with any age.

                  But you haven't met my kids.

                  My son is 3.5. He needs someone to listen when he's
                  talking. He's always talking.

                  My daughter just turned 2. Lately she's been biting
                  other kids....

                  I can't bring them anywhere without having to
                  supervise them.

                  They both love games. John can watch for a few
                  minutes and talk about a game, which isn't bad. Then
                  you have to go do something with him. Trinity likes
                  to "play" with whatever game is going on. She loves
                  watching what happens when she pushes on a nicely
                  arranged set of Carcassone tiles.

                  A couple weeks ago we managed to play a game outside
                  on a deck. At some point, she snuck up and stole two
                  meeples, which she dropped in the grass. Can you
                  guess what color? That's right - we were searching
                  for green meeples in green grass. It's a miracle we
                  found them.

                  Anyone who tells me, "Well, all kids can be
                  difficult." is volunteering to babysit mine. They're
                  beautiful little meeples, but they are absolutely the
                  highest maintenance possible.

                  I'll probably make it to B&N before your house. My
                  mother lives near the Walpole Mall, so she can babysit
                  while we go over. Schools out June 18. Maybe the
                  week after.

                  Eric