Re: [Unity_Games] a-yard-salin' (location correction)

  • Mark Edwards
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
      Eric Shultz wrote:

      > Buena Vista Drive is in Attleboro, near Mark's house.
      > The GSG group. Pardon.

      Buena Vista Ave? Wow, that's practically on top of my house!

      Mark

      --
      Mark Edwards
      danger.mouse@...

      If you're interested in board games and are located in the Eastern Mass area,
      check out Unity Games!
    • Matthew Horn
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
        >> Buena Vista Ave? Wow, that's practically on top of my house!

        Haven't you heard about the new bypass?

        BTW, I disagree that all the good stuff is gone within the first hour. I don't think most yard-saling blue-haired early-birds go for the games. The Noble House and HuggerMugger games were at a yard sale at around 11am, a good 2 hours after the initial onslaught.

        Of course, if you are looking for old postcards and colored glass bottles, then yes, by all means, start at 8am.
      • Eric Shultz
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
          Good point. I think the board games would be up to
          chance if someone who knows what they're looking at
          passes by. We still drive by a lot of sales in the
          middle of the day and afternoon. If we see
          Scattergories and Scruples boxes prominently
          displayed, we usually keep on going.

          Of course, there's probably great games hidden behind
          them, but when you've got toddlers in the car, you
          only have a limited number of stops before the
          screaming starts.

          Eric

          http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
            Eric wrote:

            > For the Attleboro folks, there is a neighborhood yard
            > sale June 8 at and around Buena Vista drive (Right
            > near Dave B's house, I believe. Near 123 and 1a).

            Hey! I don't live near there! As you corrected, that's Mark's group (which
            I need to get back down to when life settles down again). However, we are
            hoping to buy a house not far from Mark. It's got this great big open
            finished room above the garage that will be 100% game room with built-in
            shelves and plenty of table space. With a little good fortune, look for
            some game action there sometime in... say... August!

            dber@...
          • Eric Shultz
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
              Well, best of luck. We could be neighbors soon. We
              have friends on Buena Vista drive who got really
              excited about Carcassonne. The trouble is, all our
              friends have kids aged baby to Kindergarten. It's a
              little hard to go gaming when you're exhausted by 8
              PM.

              We're going to try for a gaming session (with our kids
              awake!) Sunday. The session report will probably read
              like this:

              Played for 3 hours. Almost finished one game of
              Carcassonne. We're not sure who won because the
              scoring track kept getting tipped over and the tiles
              scattered. Broke up 16 fights over toys, played 2
              Disney videos, handed out 57 crackers, filled 8 sippy
              cups of juice, and breastfed twice.

              Someday I'll visit Mark's house without the kids, or
              Barnes and Nobles. I'd love to be able to relax a
              little as I play.

              Eric

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                >>Played for 3 hours. Almost finished one game of
                >>Carcassonne. We're not sure who won because the
                >>scoring track kept getting tipped over and the tiles
                >>scattered. Broke up 16 fights over toys, played 2
                >>Disney videos, handed out 57 crackers, filled 8 sippy
                >>cups of juice, and breastfed twice.

                Sounds like a typical Friday night at B20. Except for the breastfeeding, of course. That happens ALOT more than twice a night.
              • danger.mouse@attbi.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                  > Someday I'll visit Mark's house without the kids, or
                  > Barnes and Nobles. I'd love to be able to relax a
                  > little as I play.

                  Eric you're more than welcome to come any time! Although since your a dad I'll probably offload a kid on you at some point in the evening if the going gets tough. ;-)

                  Mark
                • Eric Shultz
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                    I'm sure my wife and I would be welcome. You've said
                    so before. I can handle other people's kids great.
                    I'm a teacher and know how to deal with any age.

                    But you haven't met my kids.

                    My son is 3.5. He needs someone to listen when he's
                    talking. He's always talking.

                    My daughter just turned 2. Lately she's been biting
                    other kids....

                    I can't bring them anywhere without having to
                    supervise them.

                    They both love games. John can watch for a few
                    minutes and talk about a game, which isn't bad. Then
                    you have to go do something with him. Trinity likes
                    to "play" with whatever game is going on. She loves
                    watching what happens when she pushes on a nicely
                    arranged set of Carcassone tiles.

                    A couple weeks ago we managed to play a game outside
                    on a deck. At some point, she snuck up and stole two
                    meeples, which she dropped in the grass. Can you
                    guess what color? That's right - we were searching
                    for green meeples in green grass. It's a miracle we
                    found them.

                    Anyone who tells me, "Well, all kids can be
                    difficult." is volunteering to babysit mine. They're
                    beautiful little meeples, but they are absolutely the
                    highest maintenance possible.

                    I'll probably make it to B&N before your house. My
                    mother lives near the Walpole Mall, so she can babysit
                    while we go over. Schools out June 18. Maybe the
                    week after.

                    Eric