Re: [Unity_Games] a-yard-salin'

  • Eric Shultz
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
      You lookin' for a Christmas tree stand? I got three.
      I'll swap you for some of those nasty boring old games
      you've got lying around.

      Eric

      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
    • Eric Shultz
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
        I was one of the disappointed ones in that thread. I
        have found lots of toys and games cheap. The problem
        is, the good stuff at any yard sale is usually gone
        within the first hour. That means you can usually
        only get to a few yard sales.

        Last Saturday, we drove 15 minutes up back street to a
        yard sale advertised as "HUGE!!!" One house with
        about 10 items of crap in front of it. At the next
        sale we hit I was 3 seconds behind a guy who grabbed
        up about $60 worth of those Tony Hawk Tech Deck
        interconnecting skate ramps and junk. I could have
        been my 3 year old son's hero if it weren't for false
        advertising. I did manage to snag some nice Lego sets
        for a few dollars each, which made both me and my kids
        happy.

        For the Attleboro folks, there is a neighborhood yard
        sale June 8 at and around Buena Vista drive (Right
        near Dave B's house, I believe. Near 123 and 1a). I
        doubt there will be any "good" games there. But if
        you've got kids, it's a rich neighborhood and we got
        good toys there.

        Eric

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
          Buena Vista Drive is in Attleboro, near Mark's house.
          The GSG group. Pardon.

          Eric

          http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
        • Mark Edwards
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
            Eric Shultz wrote:

            > Buena Vista Drive is in Attleboro, near Mark's house.
            > The GSG group. Pardon.

            Buena Vista Ave? Wow, that's practically on top of my house!

            Mark

            --
            Mark Edwards
            danger.mouse@...

            If you're interested in board games and are located in the Eastern Mass area,
            check out Unity Games!
          • Matthew Horn
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
              >> Buena Vista Ave? Wow, that's practically on top of my house!

              Haven't you heard about the new bypass?

              BTW, I disagree that all the good stuff is gone within the first hour. I don't think most yard-saling blue-haired early-birds go for the games. The Noble House and HuggerMugger games were at a yard sale at around 11am, a good 2 hours after the initial onslaught.

              Of course, if you are looking for old postcards and colored glass bottles, then yes, by all means, start at 8am.
            • Eric Shultz
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                Good point. I think the board games would be up to
                chance if someone who knows what they're looking at
                passes by. We still drive by a lot of sales in the
                middle of the day and afternoon. If we see
                Scattergories and Scruples boxes prominently
                displayed, we usually keep on going.

                Of course, there's probably great games hidden behind
                them, but when you've got toddlers in the car, you
                only have a limited number of stops before the
                screaming starts.

                Eric

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                  Eric wrote:

                  > For the Attleboro folks, there is a neighborhood yard
                  > sale June 8 at and around Buena Vista drive (Right
                  > near Dave B's house, I believe. Near 123 and 1a).

                  Hey! I don't live near there! As you corrected, that's Mark's group (which
                  I need to get back down to when life settles down again). However, we are
                  hoping to buy a house not far from Mark. It's got this great big open
                  finished room above the garage that will be 100% game room with built-in
                  shelves and plenty of table space. With a little good fortune, look for
                  some game action there sometime in... say... August!

                  dber@...
                • Eric Shultz
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                    Well, best of luck. We could be neighbors soon. We
                    have friends on Buena Vista drive who got really
                    excited about Carcassonne. The trouble is, all our
                    friends have kids aged baby to Kindergarten. It's a
                    little hard to go gaming when you're exhausted by 8
                    PM.

                    We're going to try for a gaming session (with our kids
                    awake!) Sunday. The session report will probably read
                    like this:

                    Played for 3 hours. Almost finished one game of
                    Carcassonne. We're not sure who won because the
                    scoring track kept getting tipped over and the tiles
                    scattered. Broke up 16 fights over toys, played 2
                    Disney videos, handed out 57 crackers, filled 8 sippy
                    cups of juice, and breastfed twice.

                    Someday I'll visit Mark's house without the kids, or
                    Barnes and Nobles. I'd love to be able to relax a
                    little as I play.

                    Eric

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                      >>Played for 3 hours. Almost finished one game of
                      >>Carcassonne. We're not sure who won because the
                      >>scoring track kept getting tipped over and the tiles
                      >>scattered. Broke up 16 fights over toys, played 2
                      >>Disney videos, handed out 57 crackers, filled 8 sippy
                      >>cups of juice, and breastfed twice.

                      Sounds like a typical Friday night at B20. Except for the breastfeeding, of course. That happens ALOT more than twice a night.
                    • danger.mouse@attbi.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                        > Someday I'll visit Mark's house without the kids, or
                        > Barnes and Nobles. I'd love to be able to relax a
                        > little as I play.

                        Eric you're more than welcome to come any time! Although since your a dad I'll probably offload a kid on you at some point in the evening if the going gets tough. ;-)

                        Mark
                      • Eric Shultz
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                          I'm sure my wife and I would be welcome. You've said
                          so before. I can handle other people's kids great.
                          I'm a teacher and know how to deal with any age.

                          But you haven't met my kids.

                          My son is 3.5. He needs someone to listen when he's
                          talking. He's always talking.

                          My daughter just turned 2. Lately she's been biting
                          other kids....

                          I can't bring them anywhere without having to
                          supervise them.

                          They both love games. John can watch for a few
                          minutes and talk about a game, which isn't bad. Then
                          you have to go do something with him. Trinity likes
                          to "play" with whatever game is going on. She loves
                          watching what happens when she pushes on a nicely
                          arranged set of Carcassone tiles.

                          A couple weeks ago we managed to play a game outside
                          on a deck. At some point, she snuck up and stole two
                          meeples, which she dropped in the grass. Can you
                          guess what color? That's right - we were searching
                          for green meeples in green grass. It's a miracle we
                          found them.

                          Anyone who tells me, "Well, all kids can be
                          difficult." is volunteering to babysit mine. They're
                          beautiful little meeples, but they are absolutely the
                          highest maintenance possible.

                          I'll probably make it to B&N before your house. My
                          mother lives near the Walpole Mall, so she can babysit
                          while we go over. Schools out June 18. Maybe the
                          week after.

                          Eric