June's Top 10 Games

  • Craig Massey
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2002
      Well summer is almost here and by now so are the
      lion's share of the new releases from Nurenberg. Of
      course this means that old chestnuts stay on the shelf
      while the shiny new games get ooohed and aahed over.
      Some of these will stick and become the next
      generation of old chestnuts - garnering spots on 5&10
      lists. Others will see occasional play after a flurry
      of early play. And of course plenty will get played
      once and never see the light of day again - deservedly
      so or not.

      I'm sure on the list that follows - there are a few of
      each. So here is my Top 10 list for games that I
      played last month - these as always are games that I
      enjoyed the most and are not reflective of my all time
      favorites....blah, blah, blah, blah - you've heard it
      before. (At some point, the preview is just getting
      in the way of the main feature)

      10. Hands Up - This is a dexterity game - sort of.
      Richard S. wouldn't even catagorize it as a game and
      he may be right on some level, but what it is - for me
      at least - is pretty entertaining with the right group
      of people. It's really nothing more than a deck of
      cards with a hand or hands in a certain position.
      Players must match the position as quickly as possible
      and correctly or they get the card. Least cards at
      the end of the game wins. Simple, quick, and pretty
      funny to see who can't process right from left
      quickly.

      9. Liar's Dice - We take a break from the regularly
      schedule list of almost all new games to include an
      all time great. One play this month - I can't even
      remember exactly what happened, but I remember it
      being a tight game with much yelling.

      8. Nautilus - A new Kosmos game with an exploration
      theme. The game is longish, but has some solid
      mechanisms that fit nicely together. It worked very
      well for three players. This is one of those games
      that scores high on initial ooh and aah, but I'm
      willing to bet it's length will relugate it to once a
      year status and comments like "Why isn't that game
      played more - it's really pretty good."

      7. Heckla - Time for my monthly "I don't like
      abstract games, but this one caught my fancy" entry.
      Heckla - an abstract game with as pointless a theme as
      one can imagine (escaping an exploding volcano or
      something like that) did work for me although I'm not
      sure why. For more details, there should be a SR on
      this from a few weeks back. If an abstract game
      continues to find its way onto these monthly lists,
      I'm seriously going to have to reexamine my position
      on them.

      6. Toy Soldiers - What you need to know about this
      game: It is a trick taking game with a few nice new
      twists on the standard formula. What you don't need
      to know: The theme is fighting tins of food. The
      game works, the theme is there and trick taking fans
      should enjoy this quite a bit. Here's a game that I
      hope gets played more than a time or two a year. It
      will also get a place on my shelf.

      5. Zahltag - I have no idea why I enjoyed this game
      so much. Again for details, there is a very fresh SR
      in the UG archives. But the game was fun even though
      we tweaked it almost immediately (those who frown upon
      variants can ignore this) and the tweaking is very
      much necessary - at least I thought so as did Pitt
      (great there goes my credibility or what little was
      left of it.) File this one in the filler category.

      4. Wildlife - A new Kramer game about evolution that
      shows a lot of promise. Again, this one will clock on
      the longish side, but it has tile placement, gene
      cards for special abilities, different starting powers
      for players, and bidding all rolled up into one.
      Another one that will get shelf space.

      3. Dshunke - The only repeat from last months list.
      I finally figured out how to win - check that. I
      finally won a game, but am not sure how or if I'll
      ever be able to do it again. This one is growing on
      me like Web of Power as it fills the same time frame
      niche and is about the same weight. This has the
      potential to be a regularly played game - for me at
      least.

      2. Spades - The second chestnut on this months list.
      I've been playing it semi regularly - 4 or 5 games in
      the month of May. The team of Crandlemire/Massey will
      be unstoppable come the next Spades tourney. All
      suggestions for a fearsome team name are now being
      accepted.

      1. Wallenstein - Okay, so I don't have a summer
      blockbuster/future all time classic on my list.
      Frankly those are hard to find. But, I have high
      hopes about Wallenstein which for me feels like El
      Grande in that there is a fair amount of meat in this
      game, the reviews have been very good - lots of stuff
      about it being a gamer's game etc. - and there is
      direct conflict - almost a warlike feel which El
      Grande has for me. But like El Grande - one of my all
      time favorite games, Wallenstein will get dragged out
      once or twice a year to rave comments and that's about
      it. This means its likely to show up on my top 10
      list whenever it gets played though.

      Well that's it for this month. Many of the Nurenburg
      games have hit the table now with only a few
      stragglers yet to be played meaning that old favorites
      will start to make more regular appearances at the
      table in the coming months.

      Craig

      =====
      Craig W. Massey
      cwmassey@...

      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
    • Karl von Laudermann
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2002
        On Monday, June 3, 2002, at 07:54 PM, Craig Massey wrote:

        > 2.  Spades - The second chestnut on this months list.
        > I've been playing it semi regularly - 4 or 5 games in
        > the month of May.  The team of Crandlemire/Massey will
        > be unstoppable come the next Spades tourney.  All
        > suggestions for a fearsome team name are now being
        > accepted.

        1) Crandlemassey
        2) Craigmire

        --