Re: [Unity_Games] a-yard-salin'

  • Terry Egan
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
      I saw a thread similar to this on (I think)
      spielfrieks. It was mainly a boastful retelling of the
      great game finds many people have stumbled upon at
      yard sales and thrift shops (some even finding
      designer/Euro-style games - man, am I jealous). There
      was a sub-thread about lack of success in that
      endeavor from folks in Eastern Mass.

      I've gotta say, I can't pass by a yard sale or thrift
      shop without stopping, always with the hope that this
      time will be different than all the rest. Tables
      loaded with Battleship, Trivial Pursuit and Monopoly -
      and that's about it. It's like 3M and Avalon Hill
      never existed. And even Parker and Milton Bradley are
      represented only by the most common titles. Aside from
      finding two copies of Ace of Aces at a yard sale about
      5 years ago, my lack of success in finding playable
      games has been spectacular. It's not for lack of
      trying, however. So, the point of this semi-rant -
      does anyone else think the lack of "good" games at
      yard sales around here is a regional, cultural thing?
      Given all the colleges in the area, I'd expect
      challenging, non-mainstream games to show up now and
      again, but this just hasn't proven to be the case ...
      Again, persistence is probably the key, but I've done
      enough yard-saleing that I'm starting to think the
      odds of success might be higher outside of the Bay
      State.

      By the way, I don't see a lot of Christmas tree
      stands, but I'm fast coming to the conclusion that a
      surplus of cobalt glass might be a prerequisite to
      holding a yard sale...

      -Terry

      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
    • Eric Shultz
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
        You lookin' for a Christmas tree stand? I got three.
        I'll swap you for some of those nasty boring old games
        you've got lying around.

        Eric

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
          I was one of the disappointed ones in that thread. I
          have found lots of toys and games cheap. The problem
          is, the good stuff at any yard sale is usually gone
          within the first hour. That means you can usually
          only get to a few yard sales.

          Last Saturday, we drove 15 minutes up back street to a
          yard sale advertised as "HUGE!!!" One house with
          about 10 items of crap in front of it. At the next
          sale we hit I was 3 seconds behind a guy who grabbed
          up about $60 worth of those Tony Hawk Tech Deck
          interconnecting skate ramps and junk. I could have
          been my 3 year old son's hero if it weren't for false
          advertising. I did manage to snag some nice Lego sets
          for a few dollars each, which made both me and my kids
          happy.

          For the Attleboro folks, there is a neighborhood yard
          sale June 8 at and around Buena Vista drive (Right
          near Dave B's house, I believe. Near 123 and 1a). I
          doubt there will be any "good" games there. But if
          you've got kids, it's a rich neighborhood and we got
          good toys there.

          Eric

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
            Buena Vista Drive is in Attleboro, near Mark's house.
            The GSG group. Pardon.

            Eric

            http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
          • Mark Edwards
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
              Eric Shultz wrote:

              > Buena Vista Drive is in Attleboro, near Mark's house.
              > The GSG group. Pardon.

              Buena Vista Ave? Wow, that's practically on top of my house!

              Mark

              --
              Mark Edwards
              danger.mouse@...

              If you're interested in board games and are located in the Eastern Mass area,
              check out Unity Games!
            • Matthew Horn
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
                >> Buena Vista Ave? Wow, that's practically on top of my house!

                Haven't you heard about the new bypass?

                BTW, I disagree that all the good stuff is gone within the first hour. I don't think most yard-saling blue-haired early-birds go for the games. The Noble House and HuggerMugger games were at a yard sale at around 11am, a good 2 hours after the initial onslaught.

                Of course, if you are looking for old postcards and colored glass bottles, then yes, by all means, start at 8am.
              • Eric Shultz
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                  Good point. I think the board games would be up to
                  chance if someone who knows what they're looking at
                  passes by. We still drive by a lot of sales in the
                  middle of the day and afternoon. If we see
                  Scattergories and Scruples boxes prominently
                  displayed, we usually keep on going.

                  Of course, there's probably great games hidden behind
                  them, but when you've got toddlers in the car, you
                  only have a limited number of stops before the
                  screaming starts.

                  Eric

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                    Eric wrote:

                    > For the Attleboro folks, there is a neighborhood yard
                    > sale June 8 at and around Buena Vista drive (Right
                    > near Dave B's house, I believe. Near 123 and 1a).

                    Hey! I don't live near there! As you corrected, that's Mark's group (which
                    I need to get back down to when life settles down again). However, we are
                    hoping to buy a house not far from Mark. It's got this great big open
                    finished room above the garage that will be 100% game room with built-in
                    shelves and plenty of table space. With a little good fortune, look for
                    some game action there sometime in... say... August!

                    dber@...
                  • Eric Shultz
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                      Well, best of luck. We could be neighbors soon. We
                      have friends on Buena Vista drive who got really
                      excited about Carcassonne. The trouble is, all our
                      friends have kids aged baby to Kindergarten. It's a
                      little hard to go gaming when you're exhausted by 8
                      PM.

                      We're going to try for a gaming session (with our kids
                      awake!) Sunday. The session report will probably read
                      like this:

                      Played for 3 hours. Almost finished one game of
                      Carcassonne. We're not sure who won because the
                      scoring track kept getting tipped over and the tiles
                      scattered. Broke up 16 fights over toys, played 2
                      Disney videos, handed out 57 crackers, filled 8 sippy
                      cups of juice, and breastfed twice.

                      Someday I'll visit Mark's house without the kids, or
                      Barnes and Nobles. I'd love to be able to relax a
                      little as I play.

                      Eric

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                        >>Played for 3 hours. Almost finished one game of
                        >>Carcassonne. We're not sure who won because the
                        >>scoring track kept getting tipped over and the tiles
                        >>scattered. Broke up 16 fights over toys, played 2
                        >>Disney videos, handed out 57 crackers, filled 8 sippy
                        >>cups of juice, and breastfed twice.

                        Sounds like a typical Friday night at B20. Except for the breastfeeding, of course. That happens ALOT more than twice a night.
                      • danger.mouse@attbi.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                          > Someday I'll visit Mark's house without the kids, or
                          > Barnes and Nobles. I'd love to be able to relax a
                          > little as I play.

                          Eric you're more than welcome to come any time! Although since your a dad I'll probably offload a kid on you at some point in the evening if the going gets tough. ;-)

                          Mark
                        • Eric Shultz
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                            I'm sure my wife and I would be welcome. You've said
                            so before. I can handle other people's kids great.
                            I'm a teacher and know how to deal with any age.

                            But you haven't met my kids.

                            My son is 3.5. He needs someone to listen when he's
                            talking. He's always talking.

                            My daughter just turned 2. Lately she's been biting
                            other kids....

                            I can't bring them anywhere without having to
                            supervise them.

                            They both love games. John can watch for a few
                            minutes and talk about a game, which isn't bad. Then
                            you have to go do something with him. Trinity likes
                            to "play" with whatever game is going on. She loves
                            watching what happens when she pushes on a nicely
                            arranged set of Carcassone tiles.

                            A couple weeks ago we managed to play a game outside
                            on a deck. At some point, she snuck up and stole two
                            meeples, which she dropped in the grass. Can you
                            guess what color? That's right - we were searching
                            for green meeples in green grass. It's a miracle we
                            found them.

                            Anyone who tells me, "Well, all kids can be
                            difficult." is volunteering to babysit mine. They're
                            beautiful little meeples, but they are absolutely the
                            highest maintenance possible.

                            I'll probably make it to B&N before your house. My
                            mother lives near the Walpole Mall, so she can babysit
                            while we go over. Schools out June 18. Maybe the
                            week after.

                            Eric