Re: [Unity_Games] a-yard-salin'

  • David Fontes
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
      I actually had a few decent yard sale finds in the past couple of weeks as
      well:
      Wizard - $1
      Cross Check - $1 (this is a "strategy crossword puzzle game" from TSR - I
      have yet to try it out.)
      Acquire - $1.50 (this is the in-between quality version. Not the nifty
      wooden tiles from 3M, or the crappy cardboard ones from later AH. It is the
      earlier AH version with plastic tiles. It was, unfortunately, missing one
      tile (G-8 I think), but there was a blank spare tile which I can use to fill
      in. Also missing the rules, but that's no big deal.)

      One of these days I hope to find the wooden 3M Acquire, to replace the one I
      had in high school that my mom gave away to a church sale when I was in
      college! AARGH.
      -David
      P.S. Matt, of the 20 yard sales you went to, how many had Christmas tree
      stands? Since I've been noticing, 100% of all yard sales I have been to have
      Christmas tree stands!

      on 6/3/02 3:20 PM, Matthew Horn at mhorn@... wrote:

      > Thought I would share with you my recent yard saling experiences. I found 2
      > yard sales (1 last week and 1 the week before) that had games I bought.
      >
      > Sat May 25
      > HuggerMugger - $1
      > Noble House - $1
      >
      > Sat June 1
      > Serve n Slam (table top ping pong) - $1
      > Careers (recent reissue) - $1
      >
      > In the two days of yard saling, I probably went to 20 or so sales. Usually
      > when I find games, they consist of Uno Jr., some lousy theme variants of
      > Monopoly, and Jenga. I guess you just have to keep trying. One of these days I
      > am going to find a mint Loopin' Louis, I know it.
      >
      > --------
      >
      > Matthew J. Horn

    • Terry Egan
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
        I saw a thread similar to this on (I think)
        spielfrieks. It was mainly a boastful retelling of the
        great game finds many people have stumbled upon at
        yard sales and thrift shops (some even finding
        designer/Euro-style games - man, am I jealous). There
        was a sub-thread about lack of success in that
        endeavor from folks in Eastern Mass.

        I've gotta say, I can't pass by a yard sale or thrift
        shop without stopping, always with the hope that this
        time will be different than all the rest. Tables
        loaded with Battleship, Trivial Pursuit and Monopoly -
        and that's about it. It's like 3M and Avalon Hill
        never existed. And even Parker and Milton Bradley are
        represented only by the most common titles. Aside from
        finding two copies of Ace of Aces at a yard sale about
        5 years ago, my lack of success in finding playable
        games has been spectacular. It's not for lack of
        trying, however. So, the point of this semi-rant -
        does anyone else think the lack of "good" games at
        yard sales around here is a regional, cultural thing?
        Given all the colleges in the area, I'd expect
        challenging, non-mainstream games to show up now and
        again, but this just hasn't proven to be the case ...
        Again, persistence is probably the key, but I've done
        enough yard-saleing that I'm starting to think the
        odds of success might be higher outside of the Bay
        State.

        By the way, I don't see a lot of Christmas tree
        stands, but I'm fast coming to the conclusion that a
        surplus of cobalt glass might be a prerequisite to
        holding a yard sale...

        -Terry

        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
      • Eric Shultz
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
          You lookin' for a Christmas tree stand? I got three.
          I'll swap you for some of those nasty boring old games
          you've got lying around.

          Eric

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
            I was one of the disappointed ones in that thread. I
            have found lots of toys and games cheap. The problem
            is, the good stuff at any yard sale is usually gone
            within the first hour. That means you can usually
            only get to a few yard sales.

            Last Saturday, we drove 15 minutes up back street to a
            yard sale advertised as "HUGE!!!" One house with
            about 10 items of crap in front of it. At the next
            sale we hit I was 3 seconds behind a guy who grabbed
            up about $60 worth of those Tony Hawk Tech Deck
            interconnecting skate ramps and junk. I could have
            been my 3 year old son's hero if it weren't for false
            advertising. I did manage to snag some nice Lego sets
            for a few dollars each, which made both me and my kids
            happy.

            For the Attleboro folks, there is a neighborhood yard
            sale June 8 at and around Buena Vista drive (Right
            near Dave B's house, I believe. Near 123 and 1a). I
            doubt there will be any "good" games there. But if
            you've got kids, it's a rich neighborhood and we got
            good toys there.

            Eric

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
              Buena Vista Drive is in Attleboro, near Mark's house.
              The GSG group. Pardon.

              Eric

              http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
            • Mark Edwards
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
                Eric Shultz wrote:

                > Buena Vista Drive is in Attleboro, near Mark's house.
                > The GSG group. Pardon.

                Buena Vista Ave? Wow, that's practically on top of my house!

                Mark

                --
                Mark Edwards
                danger.mouse@...

                If you're interested in board games and are located in the Eastern Mass area,
                check out Unity Games!
              • Matthew Horn
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
                  >> Buena Vista Ave? Wow, that's practically on top of my house!

                  Haven't you heard about the new bypass?

                  BTW, I disagree that all the good stuff is gone within the first hour. I don't think most yard-saling blue-haired early-birds go for the games. The Noble House and HuggerMugger games were at a yard sale at around 11am, a good 2 hours after the initial onslaught.

                  Of course, if you are looking for old postcards and colored glass bottles, then yes, by all means, start at 8am.
                • Eric Shultz
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                    Good point. I think the board games would be up to
                    chance if someone who knows what they're looking at
                    passes by. We still drive by a lot of sales in the
                    middle of the day and afternoon. If we see
                    Scattergories and Scruples boxes prominently
                    displayed, we usually keep on going.

                    Of course, there's probably great games hidden behind
                    them, but when you've got toddlers in the car, you
                    only have a limited number of stops before the
                    screaming starts.

                    Eric

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                      Eric wrote:

                      > For the Attleboro folks, there is a neighborhood yard
                      > sale June 8 at and around Buena Vista drive (Right
                      > near Dave B's house, I believe. Near 123 and 1a).

                      Hey! I don't live near there! As you corrected, that's Mark's group (which
                      I need to get back down to when life settles down again). However, we are
                      hoping to buy a house not far from Mark. It's got this great big open
                      finished room above the garage that will be 100% game room with built-in
                      shelves and plenty of table space. With a little good fortune, look for
                      some game action there sometime in... say... August!

                      dber@...
                    • Eric Shultz
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                        Well, best of luck. We could be neighbors soon. We
                        have friends on Buena Vista drive who got really
                        excited about Carcassonne. The trouble is, all our
                        friends have kids aged baby to Kindergarten. It's a
                        little hard to go gaming when you're exhausted by 8
                        PM.

                        We're going to try for a gaming session (with our kids
                        awake!) Sunday. The session report will probably read
                        like this:

                        Played for 3 hours. Almost finished one game of
                        Carcassonne. We're not sure who won because the
                        scoring track kept getting tipped over and the tiles
                        scattered. Broke up 16 fights over toys, played 2
                        Disney videos, handed out 57 crackers, filled 8 sippy
                        cups of juice, and breastfed twice.

                        Someday I'll visit Mark's house without the kids, or
                        Barnes and Nobles. I'd love to be able to relax a
                        little as I play.

                        Eric

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                          >>Played for 3 hours. Almost finished one game of
                          >>Carcassonne. We're not sure who won because the
                          >>scoring track kept getting tipped over and the tiles
                          >>scattered. Broke up 16 fights over toys, played 2
                          >>Disney videos, handed out 57 crackers, filled 8 sippy
                          >>cups of juice, and breastfed twice.

                          Sounds like a typical Friday night at B20. Except for the breastfeeding, of course. That happens ALOT more than twice a night.
                        • danger.mouse@attbi.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                            > Someday I'll visit Mark's house without the kids, or
                            > Barnes and Nobles. I'd love to be able to relax a
                            > little as I play.

                            Eric you're more than welcome to come any time! Although since your a dad I'll probably offload a kid on you at some point in the evening if the going gets tough. ;-)

                            Mark
                          • Eric Shultz
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                              I'm sure my wife and I would be welcome. You've said
                              so before. I can handle other people's kids great.
                              I'm a teacher and know how to deal with any age.

                              But you haven't met my kids.

                              My son is 3.5. He needs someone to listen when he's
                              talking. He's always talking.

                              My daughter just turned 2. Lately she's been biting
                              other kids....

                              I can't bring them anywhere without having to
                              supervise them.

                              They both love games. John can watch for a few
                              minutes and talk about a game, which isn't bad. Then
                              you have to go do something with him. Trinity likes
                              to "play" with whatever game is going on. She loves
                              watching what happens when she pushes on a nicely
                              arranged set of Carcassone tiles.

                              A couple weeks ago we managed to play a game outside
                              on a deck. At some point, she snuck up and stole two
                              meeples, which she dropped in the grass. Can you
                              guess what color? That's right - we were searching
                              for green meeples in green grass. It's a miracle we
                              found them.

                              Anyone who tells me, "Well, all kids can be
                              difficult." is volunteering to babysit mine. They're
                              beautiful little meeples, but they are absolutely the
                              highest maintenance possible.

                              I'll probably make it to B&N before your house. My
                              mother lives near the Walpole Mall, so she can babysit
                              while we go over. Schools out June 18. Maybe the
                              week after.

                              Eric