a-yard-salin'

  • Matthew Horn
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
      Thought I would share with you my recent yard saling experiences. I found 2 yard sales (1 last week and 1 the week before) that had games I bought.

      Sat May 25
      HuggerMugger - $1
      Noble House - $1

      Sat June 1
      Serve n Slam (table top ping pong) - $1
      Careers (recent reissue) - $1

      In the two days of yard saling, I probably went to 20 or so sales. Usually when I find games, they consist of Uno Jr., some lousy theme variants of Monopoly, and Jenga. I guess you just have to keep trying. One of these days I am going to find a mint Loopin' Louis, I know it.

      --------

      Matthew J. Horn
    • David Fontes
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
        I actually had a few decent yard sale finds in the past couple of weeks as
        well:
        Wizard - $1
        Cross Check - $1 (this is a "strategy crossword puzzle game" from TSR - I
        have yet to try it out.)
        Acquire - $1.50 (this is the in-between quality version. Not the nifty
        wooden tiles from 3M, or the crappy cardboard ones from later AH. It is the
        earlier AH version with plastic tiles. It was, unfortunately, missing one
        tile (G-8 I think), but there was a blank spare tile which I can use to fill
        in. Also missing the rules, but that's no big deal.)

        One of these days I hope to find the wooden 3M Acquire, to replace the one I
        had in high school that my mom gave away to a church sale when I was in
        college! AARGH.
        -David
        P.S. Matt, of the 20 yard sales you went to, how many had Christmas tree
        stands? Since I've been noticing, 100% of all yard sales I have been to have
        Christmas tree stands!

        on 6/3/02 3:20 PM, Matthew Horn at mhorn@... wrote:

        > Thought I would share with you my recent yard saling experiences. I found 2
        > yard sales (1 last week and 1 the week before) that had games I bought.
        >
        > Sat May 25
        > HuggerMugger - $1
        > Noble House - $1
        >
        > Sat June 1
        > Serve n Slam (table top ping pong) - $1
        > Careers (recent reissue) - $1
        >
        > In the two days of yard saling, I probably went to 20 or so sales. Usually
        > when I find games, they consist of Uno Jr., some lousy theme variants of
        > Monopoly, and Jenga. I guess you just have to keep trying. One of these days I
        > am going to find a mint Loopin' Louis, I know it.
        >
        > --------
        >
        > Matthew J. Horn

      • Terry Egan
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
          I saw a thread similar to this on (I think)
          spielfrieks. It was mainly a boastful retelling of the
          great game finds many people have stumbled upon at
          yard sales and thrift shops (some even finding
          designer/Euro-style games - man, am I jealous). There
          was a sub-thread about lack of success in that
          endeavor from folks in Eastern Mass.

          I've gotta say, I can't pass by a yard sale or thrift
          shop without stopping, always with the hope that this
          time will be different than all the rest. Tables
          loaded with Battleship, Trivial Pursuit and Monopoly -
          and that's about it. It's like 3M and Avalon Hill
          never existed. And even Parker and Milton Bradley are
          represented only by the most common titles. Aside from
          finding two copies of Ace of Aces at a yard sale about
          5 years ago, my lack of success in finding playable
          games has been spectacular. It's not for lack of
          trying, however. So, the point of this semi-rant -
          does anyone else think the lack of "good" games at
          yard sales around here is a regional, cultural thing?
          Given all the colleges in the area, I'd expect
          challenging, non-mainstream games to show up now and
          again, but this just hasn't proven to be the case ...
          Again, persistence is probably the key, but I've done
          enough yard-saleing that I'm starting to think the
          odds of success might be higher outside of the Bay
          State.

          By the way, I don't see a lot of Christmas tree
          stands, but I'm fast coming to the conclusion that a
          surplus of cobalt glass might be a prerequisite to
          holding a yard sale...

          -Terry

          http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
        • Eric Shultz
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
            You lookin' for a Christmas tree stand? I got three.
            I'll swap you for some of those nasty boring old games
            you've got lying around.

            Eric

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
              I was one of the disappointed ones in that thread. I
              have found lots of toys and games cheap. The problem
              is, the good stuff at any yard sale is usually gone
              within the first hour. That means you can usually
              only get to a few yard sales.

              Last Saturday, we drove 15 minutes up back street to a
              yard sale advertised as "HUGE!!!" One house with
              about 10 items of crap in front of it. At the next
              sale we hit I was 3 seconds behind a guy who grabbed
              up about $60 worth of those Tony Hawk Tech Deck
              interconnecting skate ramps and junk. I could have
              been my 3 year old son's hero if it weren't for false
              advertising. I did manage to snag some nice Lego sets
              for a few dollars each, which made both me and my kids
              happy.

              For the Attleboro folks, there is a neighborhood yard
              sale June 8 at and around Buena Vista drive (Right
              near Dave B's house, I believe. Near 123 and 1a). I
              doubt there will be any "good" games there. But if
              you've got kids, it's a rich neighborhood and we got
              good toys there.

              Eric

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
                Buena Vista Drive is in Attleboro, near Mark's house.
                The GSG group. Pardon.

                Eric

                http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
              • Mark Edwards
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
                  Eric Shultz wrote:

                  > Buena Vista Drive is in Attleboro, near Mark's house.
                  > The GSG group. Pardon.

                  Buena Vista Ave? Wow, that's practically on top of my house!

                  Mark

                  --
                  Mark Edwards
                  danger.mouse@...

                  If you're interested in board games and are located in the Eastern Mass area,
                  check out Unity Games!
                • Matthew Horn
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 3, 2002
                    >> Buena Vista Ave? Wow, that's practically on top of my house!

                    Haven't you heard about the new bypass?

                    BTW, I disagree that all the good stuff is gone within the first hour. I don't think most yard-saling blue-haired early-birds go for the games. The Noble House and HuggerMugger games were at a yard sale at around 11am, a good 2 hours after the initial onslaught.

                    Of course, if you are looking for old postcards and colored glass bottles, then yes, by all means, start at 8am.
                  • Eric Shultz
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                      Good point. I think the board games would be up to
                      chance if someone who knows what they're looking at
                      passes by. We still drive by a lot of sales in the
                      middle of the day and afternoon. If we see
                      Scattergories and Scruples boxes prominently
                      displayed, we usually keep on going.

                      Of course, there's probably great games hidden behind
                      them, but when you've got toddlers in the car, you
                      only have a limited number of stops before the
                      screaming starts.

                      Eric

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                        Eric wrote:

                        > For the Attleboro folks, there is a neighborhood yard
                        > sale June 8 at and around Buena Vista drive (Right
                        > near Dave B's house, I believe. Near 123 and 1a).

                        Hey! I don't live near there! As you corrected, that's Mark's group (which
                        I need to get back down to when life settles down again). However, we are
                        hoping to buy a house not far from Mark. It's got this great big open
                        finished room above the garage that will be 100% game room with built-in
                        shelves and plenty of table space. With a little good fortune, look for
                        some game action there sometime in... say... August!

                        dber@...
                      • Eric Shultz
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                          Well, best of luck. We could be neighbors soon. We
                          have friends on Buena Vista drive who got really
                          excited about Carcassonne. The trouble is, all our
                          friends have kids aged baby to Kindergarten. It's a
                          little hard to go gaming when you're exhausted by 8
                          PM.

                          We're going to try for a gaming session (with our kids
                          awake!) Sunday. The session report will probably read
                          like this:

                          Played for 3 hours. Almost finished one game of
                          Carcassonne. We're not sure who won because the
                          scoring track kept getting tipped over and the tiles
                          scattered. Broke up 16 fights over toys, played 2
                          Disney videos, handed out 57 crackers, filled 8 sippy
                          cups of juice, and breastfed twice.

                          Someday I'll visit Mark's house without the kids, or
                          Barnes and Nobles. I'd love to be able to relax a
                          little as I play.

                          Eric

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                            >>Played for 3 hours. Almost finished one game of
                            >>Carcassonne. We're not sure who won because the
                            >>scoring track kept getting tipped over and the tiles
                            >>scattered. Broke up 16 fights over toys, played 2
                            >>Disney videos, handed out 57 crackers, filled 8 sippy
                            >>cups of juice, and breastfed twice.

                            Sounds like a typical Friday night at B20. Except for the breastfeeding, of course. That happens ALOT more than twice a night.
                          • danger.mouse@attbi.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                              > Someday I'll visit Mark's house without the kids, or
                              > Barnes and Nobles. I'd love to be able to relax a
                              > little as I play.

                              Eric you're more than welcome to come any time! Although since your a dad I'll probably offload a kid on you at some point in the evening if the going gets tough. ;-)

                              Mark
                            • Eric Shultz
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                                I'm sure my wife and I would be welcome. You've said
                                so before. I can handle other people's kids great.
                                I'm a teacher and know how to deal with any age.

                                But you haven't met my kids.

                                My son is 3.5. He needs someone to listen when he's
                                talking. He's always talking.

                                My daughter just turned 2. Lately she's been biting
                                other kids....

                                I can't bring them anywhere without having to
                                supervise them.

                                They both love games. John can watch for a few
                                minutes and talk about a game, which isn't bad. Then
                                you have to go do something with him. Trinity likes
                                to "play" with whatever game is going on. She loves
                                watching what happens when she pushes on a nicely
                                arranged set of Carcassone tiles.

                                A couple weeks ago we managed to play a game outside
                                on a deck. At some point, she snuck up and stole two
                                meeples, which she dropped in the grass. Can you
                                guess what color? That's right - we were searching
                                for green meeples in green grass. It's a miracle we
                                found them.

                                Anyone who tells me, "Well, all kids can be
                                difficult." is volunteering to babysit mine. They're
                                beautiful little meeples, but they are absolutely the
                                highest maintenance possible.

                                I'll probably make it to B&N before your house. My
                                mother lives near the Walpole Mall, so she can babysit
                                while we go over. Schools out June 18. Maybe the
                                week after.

                                Eric