May Top 10

  • Matthew Gray
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2002
      While I know everyone is eagerly awaiting Craig's monthly report,
      here's mine. May was a very slow month for me in terms of games.
      Only 33 games total. June is already off to a good start though.

      #10: Crokinole
      Didn't play it a lot, but it was well received by my in-laws,
      including my mother-in-law who was quite good once she learned to
      "fillip" and not to "flick".

      #9: Flinke Pinke
      I don't get to play this nearly enough, so almost any month that I get
      to play this is a good one.

      #8: D'raf
      The first time I played this, I wasn't that impressed, but on
      consecutive plays I find it a fun and entertaining silly race game.
      Invariably, it seems someone blows up. The way you can choose the
      game length (how far from the table edge you start) is cute too.

      #7: Schnappchen Jagd
      My favorite trick taking game, and I got crushed, but it's still a
      great game. My favorite of Uwe Rosenberg's impressive resume.

      #6: Industrial Waste
      I'm saddened this did not make the SdJ list, since I enjoy it a great
      deal and while I've heard some gamers dislike it, it seems to be very
      well received among non-gamers and occasional gamers.

      #5: Kniffel Duell
      Yahtzee Tug-of-War. Apparently this is a reissue of a previous game.
      It's pretty much Yahtzee, but each player is competing directly
      against their opponent in each "category" instead of the more
      multi-player solitaire aspect of traditional Yahtzee. Fun and quick.

      #4: Arbos
      This simple and beautiful dexterity game about building a tree is a
      lot more fun if you play it on the "impossibly hard" setting.

      #3: Vinci
      This is another one I don't get to play enough. I played it with 3
      for the first time since I first got the game (2 years ago) and was
      pleasantly surprised. Not overdoing it with players (6 is too many)
      and using hidden scoring really makes this game shine.

      #2: SpinBall
      Despite a moderate amount of practice, I really don't have more than
      about 2 shots. Oh well, I'll have to keep practicing.

      #1: Puerto Rico
      I like this game more each time I play it.

      ...Matthew
    • brian tivol
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2002
        Matthew Gray writes:
        > #8: D'raf
        > The first time I played this, I wasn't that impressed, but on
        > consecutive plays I find it a fun and entertaining silly race game.
        > Invariably, it seems someone blows up.

        That someone is me. In fact, the only time I hadn't blown up my poor
        car was during the first unimpressive game that you played.

        --brian
      • Matthew Gray
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2002
          > > #8: D'raf
          > > The first time I played this, I wasn't that impressed, but on
          > > consecutive plays I find it a fun and entertaining silly race game.
          > > Invariably, it seems someone blows up.
          >
          > That someone is me. In fact, the only time I hadn't blown up my poor
          > car was during the first unimpressive game that you played.

          Hm, I didn't remember if it was you (again) or Greg in the most recent
          game.

          The real question is, given your explosive history, did you still
          enjoy it?

          ...Matthew