SR: B2O 5/31/02

  • Adam Smiles
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2002
      Games that hit the Table: Citadels, Santa Fe Rails, Carcassonne with
      Expansion, Attacke, Halunken and Spelunken, Puerto Rico, Tin Soldiers, Wyatt
      Earp, Traumfabrik, Werewolf, Dschunke, RoboRally, Cosmic Wimpout, Travel
      Version Settlers of Catan, Call My Bluff, Hick Hack in Gacklewack, Set!,
      Speed x2, Electronic Catchphase x3, Sleuth.

      Games in Attendance: Adam, Campbell, Ralph, Greg, Dave F, Mason, Matt H,
      Terry E, Brian, Rob, Tom, Susan (who might Kyle), Constantine, Scott H,
      Richard, Nick, Kelli, Rich, Alison.

      19 Gamers in Attendance and Scott brought the games from the Adam Spielt
      Order for distribution.

      Some Comments on the games I played:

      Citadels (6 players)
      We didn't use any of the special characters. I slowly built a solid base
      and by mid-game was dubbed "the leader" got dinged a few times by the
      warlord. I made a slight recovery, and was poised for victory, but the
      cards were not in my favor. There were 5 roles that would give me an eight
      district. I was given the option of choosing from the other 3. The next
      turn someoneelse built their 8th district and I fell to 4th. I was also a
      little distracted at the end of the game when Scott arrived with the new
      games.

      TransAmerica. (4 players)
      Very fun, quick, train game. One of my new AS games. I taught 3
      newbies. I was in second heading into the third round. Cambell went out,
      vaulting Alison past him and off the board and dropping Constantine below me
      to give me the win.

      Schrille Stille (5 players)
      Double Blind bidding game about moving bands up and down the chart.
      Double blind in that not only does everone bid blindly, you don't get to
      know who bid what. There is a neat little CD player that spits out the bits
      so you don't know whose is whose. You get points if your bands finish
      higher up on the Charts, and lost points if your bands fall off the chart.
      You also get points for guessing the top band and the hot movers. The game
      has both a self-correcting mechanism, and a chance to "get the leader". I
      was the leader going into the last round and was dinged into second. Rich
      also had a strong last round, so his victory was more than my downfall.
      This was on sale at Adam Spielt. According to Terry, "This will probably be
      the best $12 you spend all year." I'm not sure if I would bought it at full
      price, but for $12 it was different enough that it will hit the table with
      some frequency and more than make up its value.

      Werewolf (13 players)
      I moderated. The village shrank to just 3 people when the last werewolf
      was caught. Nick played the vengeful werewolf. He had is head handed to
      him in the game of Puerto Rico he played before werewolf. His first victim,
      Richard who won Puerto Rico. His second victim, Kellie who came in Second
      at Puerto Rico. His third victim, Kyle was 4th in Puerto Rico, but was
      starting to catch on the to the PR victim strategy. Kyle was also the seer
      and 2 or 3 times picked the same person as the werewolves each night.

      Dschunke. (4 players)
      Richard taught this to us. Rob and Terry used a hoarding commodities
      strategy. I'm not sure what Richard did, but he was racking up lots of cash
      and quickly. I created lots of ties and lost a few auctions. Mid game
      shifted to setting up end game bonuses. I had goods on 4 boats, to others 2
      or 3's. I also scored one of my 12 point end game bonus. If I been able to
      score both, I would have tied Richard for the lead. After one play, my
      inclination is that I think I like, but that I definitely want to play it
      more to find out.

      Electronic Catchphrase (8 players, 2 teams of 4) x2
      Both games the teams were very balanced. First game I think we lost 7-5?
      To mix it up a bit, Richard and I switched teams. The other team won again,
      7-6. So I was the bad luck charm. Alison was dumbfounded at all the easy
      clues I got (sword, robot, etc...) compared to hers (blast furnace?) I
      don't know that I'd ever request to play the game, but I certainly won't
      avoid it, especially with the crowd we have.

      Sleuth (7 players)
      Probably not what we should have gone to at 1:30 AM, but there were not
      many suggestions for a 7 player games (alternatives were bohananza and
      frank's zoo). Most of our brains were jelly. It was still a good game
      despite the late hour. Kyle took a guess and was succesful. I look forward
      to trying the game when I am completely awake.

      Thanks again to Dave T and Scholars for providing the gaming space and
      munchies. I'm sure others will fill in comments on the games I didn't play.

      -Adam

    • Susan Dohnim
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2002
        Comments 'n Corrections:

        >From: "Adam Smiles" <adamsmiles@...>
        >Werewolf (13 players)
        > I moderated. The village shrank to just 3 people when the last werewolf
        >was caught. Nick played the vengeful werewolf. He had is head handed to
        >him in the game of Puerto Rico he played before werewolf. His first
        >victim,
        >Richard who won Puerto Rico. His second victim, Kellie who came in Second
        >at Puerto Rico. His third victim, Kyle was 4th in Puerto Rico, but was
        >starting to catch on the to the PR victim strategy. Kyle was also the seer
        >and 2 or 3 times picked the same person as the werewolves each night.

        Actually, I wasn't in that game of Puerto Rico, but I *did* call the PR
        victim strategy the very first day (the day after Richard was killed). It
        earned Nick a quick vote, but somehow he talked himself out of insta-death.
        Though I died, I am glad that the villagers kept him in mind at the end :).

        >Sleuth (7 players)
        > Probably not what we should have gone to at 1:30 AM, but there were not
        >many suggestions for a 7 player games (alternatives were bohananza and
        >frank's zoo). Most of our brains were jelly. It was still a good game
        >despite the late hour. Kyle took a guess and was succesful. I look
        >forward
        >to trying the game when I am completely awake.

        "Guess" my pasty white ass :). Great game, though -- and now that we all
        have a better idea of how to keep track of things, I'd love to play it
        again.

        >Thanks again to Dave T and Scholars for providing the gaming space and
        >munchies. I'm sure others will fill in comments on the games I didn't
        >play.

        And they need to provide more 3-Musketeers! Who should we bug about it?

        KWINS