SR: Danger Planet: Siesta, The Big Cheese, Diceland, Agora.

  • Vitas Povilaitis
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31 1:51 PM
      May 30, 2002

      Open gaming at Danger Planet. 4-player Siesta, 3-player Big Cheese,
      4-player Diceland, 3-player Agora.

      Siesta.
      There were two games of Siesta. Players for the first game were Tom,
      Cindy, Karl, and myself. Tom and Cindy played for the first time.
      Players for the second game were Cindy, Nancy, Karl, and myself.

      The first game was pretty close. The familiar diagonal of suns
      surrounding rooftops and shadows developed. Tom decided to break out
      of this pattern and defy strategy by placing his pieces outside this
      corridor at one point. He paid the price for his creativity. :-) Game
      lasted about 18 minutes.
      * Vitas: 32
      * Cindy: 29
      * Karl: 28
      * Tom: 26

      The second game, somehow Karl placed some clever moves and kept the
      lead. Cindy had to leave just before Karl decided to end the game
      while he was ahead.
      * Karl: 41
      * Nancy: 34
      * Cindy: 31
      * Vitas: 26

      The Big Cheese.
      Players were Cindy, Karl and myself. We were all new players.

      In this game, we start with twenty flunkies (tokens.) We bid them on
      projects that come up (in the form of cards.) If a player outbids the
      other players, the player gets the project and puts all the flunkies
      he bid onto it. Then all players remove a flunky off their projects
      (except for the one that was just won.) When the last flunky is
      removed off a project, the player rolls the die indicated on the
      project, and adds that number to his score. First player to score 40
      points wins. There are also Big Cheese cards which lets a player
      re-roll, and Veto cards which remove a project from bidding.

      This game was very engaging, though it seemed longer than it should
      have been at 25 minutes for its low level of mental activity. Because
      of the randomness of the die rolls, strategy was low -- try harder to
      get high-rolling projects, and let the low-rolling projects go unless
      you don't have any projects going. Then again, I think Cindy was
      actively calculating the cost-benefit of each project.
      * Cindy: 45
      * Vitas: 30
      * Karl: 12

      Diceland.
      Players were Karl and Nancy on one team, and Cindy and myself on the
      other team. Nancy and Karl played for the first time.

      I thought this would be a simple team effort with players alternating
      turns. However, people on each team had intense discussions about what
      the best move would be each turn before taking it. I found this aspect
      entertaining. Each team took one side of the table to throw from. Even
      though Cindy and I lost two dice from play, we ended up winning in
      just under an hour. This was because we had nice world effects or
      abilities going most of the time: confuse and protection.
      * Cindy and Vitas: 56
      * Karl and Nancy: 40

      Agora.
      Players were Nancy, Karl and myself. We all played before.

      This felt like it was off to a bad start for me because on my first
      turn, being the last person to play, I drew a festival which gave
      everyone an extra income before I even got started! I had hope soon
      after as a fire threatened to burn down shops Karl and Nancy were in,
      but there was a tie for biggest shop so no fire developed. Later in
      the game, though, a fire burned down shops that Karl and Nancy were
      occupying, which evened the playing field at last. In the end, a final
      festival pushed Nancy's score to the win.

      After about 40 minutes, the score was:
      * Nancy: 68
      * Vitas: 43
      * Karl: 40
    • Vitas Povilaitis
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3, 2002
        May 24, 2002
        Private session. 3-player Cranium Kid's Cadoo.

        Cranium Kid's Cadoo.
        I played this with my dear friend and her nine year-old daughter. I gave
        this game to her as a Christmas gift, and she pulls it out
        enthusiastically for us to play. I like it because it fosters creativity.
        In this game, a player rolls a die to determine what kind of card to play.
        There are solo cards which contain puzzles, and miniature scavenger hunts.
        There are combo cards which contain challenges of charades, drawing
        pictures and sculpting. Scoring is done on a 4x4 board, but that's mainly
        to let players know when to stop, because all the fun is in the actual
        playing of the game. The game lastest 30 minutes.

        May 25, 2002
        Danger Planet open gaming. 2-player Star Wars The Queen's Gambit, 5-player
        Frag.

        Star Wars The Queen's Gambit.
        Players were Karl (playing the Federation forces) and myself (playing the
        Naboo forces.) Karl played for the first time.

        This seemed like the quickest game I've played of The Queen's Gambit, even
        though it was a two and a half hour session (including time to go over the
        rules.)

        Anakin cleared one space, so he wasn't close to the droid control ship at
        all. The planetside battle was close to over with an overwhelming
        Federation victory. The Federation forces wiped out the majority of the
        Naboo forces in the palace, even before Darth Maul emerged from his battle
        with the Jedi.

        In the end Karl won.

        Frag.
        Players were Jason, (another) Jason, Karl, Chris and myself.

        I had to leave early after a half-hour of play. By that time, Jason got
        one frag.

        Still seems like there's too much downtown for what happens.

        Perhaps a decent variant would be to exchange gunfire until one player
        passes, which means the encounter is broken off. Also, players have to
        pick up ammo for their weapons, instead of the weapons coming fully
        loaded. Ammo tokens could be picked up instead of gadgets. For a fast
        game, any ammo could be used in any weapon. For a more thoughtful game, a
        deck of ammo specific for weapons can be used. Ammo is drawn from a
        face-up deck. There would be enough ammo to fill every ammo space of every
        weapon in play -- no more, no less. Ammo tokens/cards load the appropriate
        weapon automatically, but count against a ammo hand-size limit if
        unloaded. (You might not want to load a weapon automatically, to keep your
        weapons a surprise until used.)

        June 1, 2002
        Danger Planet open gaming. 5-player Chez Dork, 5-player Drakon, 3-player
        Formula De.

        Chez Dork.
        Players were Karl (playing Matt), Chris (playing Igor), Adam (playing
        Ken), Nancy (playing Carson), and myself (playing Bill.)

        Adam started off with a bang playing two cards that gave him extra cash.
        Then he bided his time, silently playing stuff until he won. In the
        meantime, we all picked on each other not really noticing Adam's
        potential. I just had bad draws -- not enough stuff.

        Adam: 25
        Nancy: 20
        Chris: 14
        Karl: 13
        Vitas: 11
        Drakon.
        Players were Karl, Chris, Adam, Nancy, and myself. Karl played before.

        I was looking forward to playing this game because I like the idea of a
        dungeon exploration board game. In this game, a player has a hand of five
        tiles and has a character on a starting tile. During his turn, the player
        either places a tile adjacent to an existing tile, making sure that arrows
        don't point toward each other, or moves his character. Some tiles have a
        special ability printed on them.

        I was disappointed that there's a strategy that shortcuts the fun of the
        game. By placing a room with a key next to a room with a gold pointing
        toward the key room, a player can just go back and forth to quickly get
        the five gold needed to win. (A teleporter room works as well as a key
        room. In our case, Karl and Nancy picked up on this and the rest of us had
        to work together to keep them from benefiting from that arrangement, but
        we didn't have a decent setup to effectively foil both of them, and
        prevent Chris from getting to the teleporter which would get him his fifth
        gold. Game lasted about 50 minutes.

        Chris: 5
        Karl: 4
        Nancy: 4
        Vitas: 4
        Adam: 1
        Formula De.
        Players were Karl, Nancy, and myself. Karl played before.

        We played a basic two lap race on the Nederland Zandvoort track, which has
        a nice straight-way and easy turns.

        Basically, a player chooses a valid gear, and rolls the appropriate dice
        (not numbered normally, but with an appropriate range of numbers for the
        given gear) and moves that number of spaces on the track. The track is
        huge. Then, taking turns, players must stop the appropriate number of
        times on them, or bad things happen.

        Nancy started conservatively, and paid the price, never catching up to
        Karl and me. I pulled out ahead in sixth gear at one point, and felt
        confident I'd win, but I had to slow down for a couple turns or risk
        blowing out. Karl, didn't have to shift down to take the turns and ended
        up with good rolls, which meant he sped past me for the win.

        Karl: 1st place
        Vitas: 2nd place
        Nancy: third place
        June 2, 2002
        Private session. 2-player Red Dwarf The Card Game.

        Red Dwarf The Card Game. Players were Nancy and myself. We both played for
        the first time.

        I found this game on the Net. Being Red Dwarf fans, Nancy and I decided to
        try it. I printed the cards to regular paper, and cut them out. I used
        Ultra-Pro Deck Protectors to hold the cards. This proved awkward to
        shuffle because it didn't have the right stiffness. Also, the cards print
        small, so it took up a small portion of space in the deck protector
        sleeve. I may tray laminating the cards instead to see if that gives me
        better results.

        Basically, players draw from a face-down deck of tasks, travel cards, and
        re-cyc cards, or from a common face-up area of episode cards and a Holly
        card. Then players play a card. Re-cyc cards are played anytime and
        replaced immediately, so players always have seven cards (or eight at the
        star of their turns) in hand. Players give characters tasks to perform.
        Players then play travel cards to execute a task and score the points on
        the task. There are additional cards that either benefit the player or
        hinder the opponent.

        The game itself is simple but engaging. I thought the game would be a
        straightforward screw-the-opponent game, but the deck is large enough that
        a player may not have the right cards at the right time. Part of the fun
        is seeing the screenshots from the show and recalling the episode.

        After an hour of play (including going over the rules) I won.

        Vitas: 12
        Nancy: 7

        As an aside, I was working on a 3-D, glowing Ice house Volcano board.
        While I was waiting for the paint to dry, I tried out the Magic: the
        Gathering Online game. Magic: the Gathering is my favorite card game, but
        I fell out of it when I moved from Rochester in '97 and lost contact with
        my gaming group. It's in beta test right now, and will go live on June 24.
        But for the beta, players can pretend to buy decks and boosters (these
        virtual cards will cost real money when the game goes live) and play games
        of Magic with people from all around the country and the world. The
        computer makes sure the rules are strictly adhered to, and makes sure only
        the cards owned by the player are played.

        I'm not going to keep track of these sessions, because of its addictive
        nature. I tend to play game after game just trying different tactics and
        decks. The fun here is that I can find other skillful players at any time,
        which makes this the best online game I've ever played.

        Vitas Povilaitis
        http://www.GracefulBoot.com/board_games
      • Karl von Laudermann
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3, 2002
          On Monday, June 3, 2002, at 06:15 PM, Vitas Povilaitis wrote:

          > Perhaps a decent variant would be to exchange gunfire until one player
          > passes, which means the encounter is broken off. Also, players have to
          > pick up ammo for their weapons, instead of the weapons coming fully
          > loaded. Ammo tokens could be picked up instead of gadgets.

          Huh? Guns are fully loaded when you pick them up. There are gadget cards
          that allow you to reload guns, but you only need to use them if you've
          already used up the ammo in your gun.

          > I found this game on the Net. Being Red Dwarf fans, Nancy and I decided to
          > try it. I printed the cards to regular paper, and cut them out. I used
          > Ultra-Pro Deck Protectors to hold the cards. This proved awkward to
          > shuffle because it didn't have the right stiffness. Also, the cards print
          > small, so it took up a small portion of space in the deck protector
          > sleeve. I may tray laminating the cards instead to see if that gives me
          > better results.

          The approach I would take is to print the cards onto full sheet sticker
          paper (Avery 8255), stick it onto cardboard or thick paper, and then cut
          them out. This is probably less work than laminating, and would make them
          more rigid.

          --
          Karl J. von Laudermann
          karlvonl@...
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 4, 2002
            Do you have a link to get this on the net? I suppose
            I could search, but I'm very lazy.

            As for printing cards. Wal-Mart sells card stock
            cheap. I think it's $5 for a package about the size
            of a ream of paper (although I'm not sure if it's
            actually 500 sheets).

            I think cards made from it would be thick enough to
            shuffle, and last a bit better than paper. Maybe I'll
            try a few sheets. and see.

            Eric Shultz

            --- Vitas Povilaitis <vitas@...> wrote:
            > Red Dwarf The Card Game. Players were Nancy and
            > myself. We both played for
            > the first time.
            >
            > I found this game on the Net. Being Red Dwarf fans,
            > Nancy and I decided to
            > try it. I printed the cards to regular paper, and
            > cut them out. I used
            > Ultra-Pro Deck Protectors to hold the cards. This
            > proved awkward to
            > shuffle because it didn't have the right stiffness.
            > Also, the cards print
            > small, so it took up a small portion of space in the
            > deck protector
            > sleeve. I may tray laminating the cards instead to
            > see if that gives me
            > better results.
            >
            > Basically, players draw from a face-down deck of
            > tasks,
            === message truncated ===

            http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com