My April Top Ten

  • David Fontes
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2002
      I kinda like the idea of a top ten of the month, and since I did play a LOT
      of different games in April, this might be my only chance to have a relevant
      contribution. So, here they are:

      10a. Dune. Any month when I play Dune, it will be in my top ten for the
      month, but mainly I want to highlight some of the newer (released in the
      past decade, anyway!) games I played, so Dune gets the special "10a" slot.

      10. Goldland. Although we didn't actually get to finish the one game I
      played in, I quite enjoyed it. I'm a sucker for good theme, and this game
      definitely has that. I don't find it fiddly at all, which was one of the
      complaints I heard about it. The only issue I have is that there is definite
      downtime between turns, but when it is actually your turn it's fun!

      9. Transamerica. Not much to say about this one, really. It's light. It's
      quick. It's fun.

      8. Lord of the Rings card game. Not that new, but still new to me. Samurai
      was the first "German" game I ever played, and holds a special place in my
      heart. LotR has definite Samurai-like elements, and that's a good thing.
      Plus it's got several little clever differences from Samurai. It's got a
      great blend of tactical and strategic gameplay in it, I think. A definite
      winner for me.

      7. Auweier. This is a funny little card game, where the players are male
      birds trying to woo female birds with offerings of worms. Again, this wins
      on the theme alone, but it's also a fun and interesting _game_ as well. A
      caveat: this was the first game I ever played with Greg Schloesser, and he
      was wildly enthusiastic about it. So, I'm not entirely sure if the game was
      lots of fun, or if gaming with Greg was where all the fun came from!

      6. X-Bugs. It's just silly fun. And it works much better on felt than on a
      tablecloth!

      5. Hick Hack in Gackelwack. This game is consistently fun, and will likely
      be in the running for most-played game of 2002 for me. It's quick, easy to
      teach (whichever ruleset you decide to use!) and appeals to non-gamers - a
      big plus for me, since most of my local friends are not terribly serious
      about gaming.

      4. Fruit Fight. A home-made game designed by Kris Gould, who taught me the
      game in Columbus. It is kind of a blind resource allocation, set-collecting
      game with some neat ways of screwing up other players. It was also my first
      pick off the prize table, and since the "board" arrived in the mail this
      week, I will be pushing this at B20 on Friday.

      3. Tal der Konige. An evil evil game. Lots of player interaction, mainly in
      the form of bluff, back-stabbing, and outright thievery. This was an
      absolute hoot to play!

      2. Crystal Vision. A prototype game from Alan Ernstein that I played at the
      Gathering. Not sure what kind of detail I can go into on this one, so I
      won't say much. It's a trading, set-collecting, stock-markety sort of game,
      and it was great fun. I will be keeping an eye out for this one. I hope it
      gets published!

      1. Star Wars Queen's Gambit. Richard taught me this game in Columbus. I tend
      to prefer multi-player games over two-player games, but cripes, this was
      just soooo much fun! It's a pure dice-fest, but it's got great bits, and
      once again, it's got a great theme going for it. It sure was fun making
      Gungan Jelly of Richard's troops on the combat field, even while he was
      hacking Darth Maul in two and splattering robotic cyberbrains around the
      royal palace!

      And that is that...
      -David
      =============
      David Fontes http://www.mmiusa.com/ookpik/
      dfontes@...
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2002
        > I kinda like the idea of a top ten of the month,

        OK - I'm in!

        Let me comment a bit and then I'll give my top 10 for the month...

        > 10. Goldland.

        I also liked my one play, but it got some seriously mixed reviews and I'm
        afraid to buy a copy since I don't think it will get much play-time. So
        I'll wait, maybe it will get more popular and then I'll snag one.

        > 9. Transamerica. Not much to say about this one, really.
        > It's light. It's quick. It's fun.

        Have not played, but have a copy on the way. Most seemed to like this -
        lite=good as far as I'm concerned!

        > 8. Lord of the Rings card game.

        Agreed - a most excellent game. One that I didn't play in April, but would
        have been glad to play.

        > 1. Star Wars Queen's Gambit. Richard taught
        > me this game in Columbus.

        And it's got such great bits!

        My top 10 for April... not dominated by new games but here goes...

        10. Liar's Dice - Only played twice in April, but I love the game!

        9. Mexica - I like this more than Tikal but less than Torres. Will play
        most anytime.

        8. Alles im Eimer (The Bucket Game). Great light fun in a 30 minute
        format.

        7. Dschunke - Enjoyed my 3 plays of this. Downtime minimal as actions are
        fast.

        6. Puerto Rico - a great game that might not get as many plays for me if it
        can't be squeezed into 90 minutes (but I think with experienced players it
        can). Very little downtime.

        5. Carcassonne w/ new Expansion - makes a great game better!

        4. Die Sieben Wiesen - The Seven Wiremen has been very popular with the
        folks I've showed it to. I think the Rio Grande Games edition will sell
        well. Possibly a little long for a card game (about 90 mins) but it keeps
        you interested with virtually no downtime.

        3. Where's Bob's Hat - possibly my new favorite trick-taking game. I'm not
        a huge fan of trick taking games (but love Hearts) but this one is really
        good.

        2. Password - the classic that doesn't grow old for me. The Tourney at the
        Gathering was a blast. Alan was a worthy partner but boy do we need
        practice!

        1. Crokinole. Nuff said.

        I'm sure I'm missing some other stuff - this was mostly off the cuff!

        dber@...
      • Matthew Horn
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2002
          I'll vouch for the "Schlosser" effect.

          I experienced something similar with Rick Thornquist. He was so enthusiastic about teaching and playing Volldampf, that I ranked it my favorite game of the week.

[...]

          David Fontes http://www.mmiusa.com/ookpik/ <http://www.mmiusa.com/ookpik/>
          dfontes@...

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=226014.2032696.3508022.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705052896:HM/A=1000239/R=0/*http://ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vaG0xLmRhd=1020349260%3eM=226014.2032696.3508022.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705052896:HM/A=1000239/R=1>
          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=226014.2032696.3508022.1829184/D=egroupmail/S=1705052896:HM/A=1000239/rand=605285183>

        • andagainma
          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2002
            Dave B writes:
            > 6. Puerto Rico - a great game that might not get as many plays for
            me if it
            > can't be squeezed into 90 minutes (but I think with experienced
            players it
            > can). Very little downtime.

            Three of us played PR in not much more than an hour at my place
            yesterday evening. The three in questions were Richard (playing
            something like his 7th game), Chris (playing what I think was his
            2nd), and me (playing my 2nd game). At my request, we made an effort
            to play quickly.

            > 5. Carcassonne w/ new Expansion

            Also played at my place yesterday evening. I'll get some kind of SR
            out this evening.

            Andrew, still with a lot of catching up on new games to do.