SR: KNOB April 30

  • Towler, Mark B (Mark)
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2002
      Attendees: Mark, Susan, Andrew, Joe, Anthony, Lewis, Eric

      Games Played: A train game whose name I can't recall, Carcassonne and Puerto
      Rico

      Train Game: (everyone but Anthony who came late)
      I wish I could remember the name of this as I rather liked it. Joe taught it
      to us in a very short time and we leaped in. The game is played in rounds
      with the results of each round dropping you further down a negative scale
      depending on how well you perform. The goal is to link all five of your US
      cities by rail before your opponents do the same. The catch is that all
      track laid is shared - if an opponent lays track to your city that counts as
      long as you're connected to that section somehow. The challenge is to make
      your opponents do as much work for you as possible, without letting them get
      away with the win. This is a fast-paced, fairly light game and was somewhat
      reminiscent of Uno. While strategy seems nearly impossible with 6+ players,
      I imagine that there's a lot more you could think your way through if you
      were only playing with 2 or 3. Definitely a good starter game and a nice one
      to teach to a new crowd. Nice bits, too. Joe won after three rounds, but I
      was able to win one round and thus didn't feel completely hopeless.

      Carcassonne: all
      This is the first time I've played with the river expansion and I can't say
      it did a lot for me. It definitely gives you a more varied start, but I
      can't say it added a lot to the game. The other variables (supermeeple,
      pubs, cathedrals) seemed positively disruptive - playing one a pub or
      cathedral seemed to guarantee that your road or city would never get
      completed. The supermeeple were a nice way to screw your neighbour, but
      seemed a bit excessive. Andrew took the win with a supermeeple farmer that
      he was able to connect at the last moment, overwhelming the rest of us who
      were farming. At the end, we had the most disjointed, gap-ridden map I've
      ever seen. While we all enjoyed it, I think the expansions just made it a
      lot harder to build and complete the map.

      Puerto Rico: all but Sue and Eric
      This was my first time playing Puerto Rico and I really enjoyed it. There's
      a lot to take in, but once you get into the rhythm of the game it's not too
      hard to figure out. It has a lot of the elements of Princes of Florence, but
      a lot more player interaction - a good thing. There are also multiple ways
      to win which I think will really increase the replayabilty factor. I got an
      early lead in indigo and tobacco, but was crowded out by the coffee and
      sugar farmers fairly early on. Joe and Anthony were able to use their
      superior knowledge of the various buildings to draw ahead slightly and try
      as we might, the rest of us were never able to catch up. That said, the
      final scores were awfully close:
      Anthony 51
      Joe 50
      Mark 45
      Andrew 44
      Lewis 39

      I liked this and will probably end up picking up my own copy sometime. I'd
      like to try it with three or four players first, though.

      KNOB returns next week, same bat-time, same bat-channel...

      Mark
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2002
        "Towler, Mark B (Mark)" <towler@...> wrote:

        >Puerto Rico: all but Sue and Eric
        > [snip]
        >I liked this and will probably end up picking up my
        >own copy sometime. I'd like to try it with three
        >or four players first, though.

        Me too... I've only played with 5 and it worked great, but I'd
        like to give it a try with fewer. Mark E has played with 3 (I
        believe) and if I remember he thought it worked ok with that
        number (but he had not played with 5 yet). Anyone have any PR
        experience with 3,4 AND 5 players?

        dber@...