SR: Rochester trip

  • Vitas Povilaitis
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2002
      March 23-31, 2002

      I took a trip to my hometown of Rochester, NY, to visit friends and
      family. I got a lot of board gaming in. I'll just note the gaming
      highlights during this trip. I ended up playing a lot of Crokinole because
      I wanted to show off the beautiful new board.

      March 23, 2002

      3-player Crokinole, 3-player Mage Knight: Talisman.

      Crokinole.
      Players were Dan, Christa and myself. Dan and Christa played for the
      first time.

      Dan & Christa: 140
      Vitas: 75

      Dan & Christa: 105
      Vitas: 20

      Dan & Christa: 110
      Vitas: 60

      Mage Knight: Talisman
      Players were Dan, Christa (when she wasn't distracted by her infant :-),
      and myself. We all experimented with this for the first time.
      For an interesting twist on an old favorite, this is a variant I played
      with combining Mage Knight: Dungeons rules and the Second Edition Talisman
      board game. At minimum, use a Mage Knight Starter pack for two players
      and an additional booster pack for every additional player.

      . Ignore characters strength when setting up a character.
      . Additional strength gets added to die roll during battle.
      . Craft is ignored during battle.
      . Craft is used to determine number of spells available.
      . Use speed points instead of dice for movement.
      . Every space is encountered during movement. (Can use bypass rules
      in MKD to skip spaces.)
      . Drawing a monster adventure card summons Mage Spawn with a total value of
      (Strength or Craft) * 5. Monsters attack first when first drawn.
      . Monsters and Heros can be in the same space. (Don't use rules
      that require knowing where everyone is.)
      . Mage Spawn get put back into a pool if no Heros in space anymore, though
      the adventure card that spawned the Mage Spawn remains.
      . Draw a new character card when Hero dies. (Reuse Mage Knight Hero.)

      We played with a time limit of an hour and a half with no winners. Dan
      thought the game would last longer with this variant. I didn't think that
      would be possible.

      As an aside, Their son seems to have a taste for the Chrononauts rules.
      We stopped him before he swallowed the cover!

      March 24, 2002

      2-player Entdecker, 2-player Fossil, 2-player Crokinole, 2-player Nexus.

      TomP is an easy-going, laid-back gamer. He likes to try different
      games and doesn't get overly uptight about winning because the game play
      is the fun.

      Original German Entdecker.
      Players were TomP and myself. TomP played for the first time.
      Our game lasted an hour. Scoring is relative.

      Vitas: +16
      TomP: 0

      Fossil.
      Players were TomP and myself. I played for the first time.

      This is an interesting abstract strategy game in which tiles
      representing a collection
      of nine piece fossils are laid on a grid. Each player places a pawn on board
      and takes the tile. Each turn, a player moves a pawn horizontally or
      vertically as far as he wants to another tile and takes the tile.
      You score by completing fossils and scoring the number of points on the tiles.

      I didn't catch on to the strategy initially and let TomP collect up
      high scoring tiles while I tried to get a complete fossil. Game lasted
      a half hour.

      TomP: 288
      Vitas: 250

      Crokinole.
      Players were TomP and myself. TomP played for the first time.

      Vitas: 100
      TomP: 35

      Vitas: 115
      TomP: 65

      Nexus.
      Players were TomP and myself. TomP played for the first time.
      TomP wasn't particularly interested in this sort of game.

      Vitas: 10
      TomP: 8

      2,3,4-player Crokinole.

      Crokinole.
      Players were (at various times) Cherie, Jason, Kerry and myself.
      Cherie, Jason and Kerry played for the first time.

      As gamers go, Jason is very emotional and feels the ups and downs of winning.
      Kerry is somewhat sensitive, bowing out of one game because Cherie was intent
      on competing with me. Cherie is very competitive.

      Cherie & Kerry: 145
      Jason & Vitas: 55

      Cherie & Jason: 100
      Vitas & Kerry: 25

      Vitas & Cherie: 100
      Jason & Kerry: 20

      Cherie & Kerry: 35
      Vitas: 30

      Vitas: 105
      Cherie: 70

      Cherie: 110
      Vitas: 30

      Cherie: 110
      Vitas: 30

      Cherie: 120
      Vitas: 0

      March 25, 2002

      2-player Crokinole.

      Crokinole.
      Players were Don and myself. Don never played before.
      Don was a good sport.

      Vitas: 105
      Don: 0

      Vitas: 135
      Don: 10

      2-player Crokinole, 2-player Settlers of Catan, 2-player Nexus,
      2-player Fluxx, 2-player Entdecker.

      Crokinole.
      Players were Jackie and myself. Jackie player for the first time.
      Jackie had a real problem hitting the discs and spacial games make
      her ill.

      Vitas: 110
      Jackie: 0

      Settlers of Catan.
      Players were Jackie and myself. Jackie played for the first time.
      This game is always a good standby, I thought, and Jackie got into it.
      It was a close game, too, with us competing for longest road and getting
      enough resources to keep building at a fairly even rate.

      Jackie: 10
      Vitas: 9

      Nexus.
      Players were Jackie and myself. Jackie played for the first time.
      This is another spacial game that didn't work for her. Game lasted about
      a half hour.

      Vitas: 12
      Jackie: 1

      Fluxx.
      Players were Jackie and myself. Jackie played for the first time.
      We played three games for 45 minutes. This game would work better
      with more people, but it's a nice low thought activity. I won the
      first and third game. Jackie won the second.

      Original German Entdecker.
      Players were Jackie and myself. Jackie played for the first time.
      Jackie did enjoy this game. Game ended after an hour and forty-five
      minutes.

      Vitas: +4
      Jackie: 0

      March 26, 2002

      4-player Crokinole, 5-player Apples to Apples.

      Crokinole.
      Players were Shawn, Doug, TomW and myself. Shawn, Doug and TomW played
      for the first time.

      Shawn & Doug: 140
      Vitas & TomW: 15

      Vitas & TomW: 105
      Shawn & Doug: 70

      Vitas & TomW: 120
      Shawn & Doug: 0

      Apples to Apples.
      Players were Jean, Shawn, TomW, Doug, Vitas. I was playing for the
      first time.

      Apples to Apples is a silly, subjective game. We were playing with all
      the expansions. There are two decks of cards. One deck contains a word
      and a list of like words. This deck is passed from player to player
      who'll act as arbitrator. The other deck is a word or phrase
      with an associated quote. Each player has a hand of seven of these
      cards and choose one to be judged by the moderator. The moderator shuffles
      and
      reveals all the cards passed to him at once and judges which card best
      matches the card he drew.

      So, this is a game of word association and knowing something about the
      player judging the cards. One anecdote is that one arbitrator drew
      "Mechanical." Of the cards passed to him to be judged, one was "My
      Love Life."

      We played two games. Jean won both of them. (She's the biggest fan
      of the game. :-)

      March 27, 2002

      2-player Crokinole.

      Players were Frank and myself. Frank was a new player.

      Vitas: 110
      Frank: 0

      Vitas: 105
      Frank: 70

      March 28, 2002

      2,3-player Crokinole.

      Players were Allen, Jeff and myself. Allen and Jeff were new players.
      Allen was a very aggressive and competitive player.

      Allen: 125
      Vitas: 60

      Vitas: 110
      Allen: 70

      Vitas: 105
      Allen: 40

      Allen: 110
      Vitas & Jeff: 5

      Vitas & Jeff: 105
      Allen: 85

      Players were Chris, Whitney and myself. Chris and Whitney were
      new players. Whitney was a very intense player. Afterwards, she looked
      up the game on the Internet. Chris is into woodworking and now considers
      making a board himself.

      Vitas: 160
      Chris & Whitney: 0

      Vitas: 105
      Chris & Whitney: 10

      Vitas: 120
      Chris & Whitney: 80

      Vitas: 100
      Whitney: 30

      Chris: >100
      Whitney: 0

      Vitas: 110
      Chris: 40

      March 29, 2002

      2-player Java, 2-player Entdecker, 2-player Stephenson's Rocket,
      2-player Chrononauts, 2-player Icehouse Volcano.

      Java.
      Players were TomP and myself. TomP was a new player.
      TomP was driving me nuts because he didn't even take time to make
      good moves... just any moves would do. Great for short down times, though.
      Game ended in about an hour. (A record?)

      Vitas: 106
      TomP: 84

      Original German Entdecker.
      Players were TomP and myself. TomP requested to try this again.

      Vitas: +27
      Tom: 0

      Stephenson's Rocket.
      Players were TomP and myself. Both of us were new players.

      This is an interesting strategic game. During the game, you can do
      two things from any combination of three choices: extend a railway
      (getting stock in it), take a resource token, build a train station.
      Connecting to a city means the player with the most tokens from the
      city gets money, second place gets half that. Connecting to a railway
      town means the player with the most stations on the railway line gets
      money, second place gets half that. Connecting two railways merges
      one into the other, meaning a cash bonus and stock trade.

      Starting the game is bewildering because it's not obvious what we should
      be doing beyond just diving in. Then a strategy forms as we figure out
      what to do in reaction to what the other player does.

      Game lasted about an hour and a half.

      Vitas: 165,000
      TomP: 137,000

      Chrononauts.
      Players were TomP and myself. TomP played for the first time.

      This had to be the shortest game of Chrononauts ever. TomP ended up winning
      the mission in about ten minutes, playing four artifacts,
      three of which he needed, two of which I needed to win my mission!!!

      Icehouse Volcano.
      Players were TomP and myself. TomP played for the first time.
      I set up the game with the alternate pattern I found on the web.

      Vitas: 28
      TomP: 21

      March 30, 2002

      2-player Stephenson's Rocket.

      Stephenson's Rocket.
      Players were Harry and myself. Harry was new to the game.

      Did it help start the game knowing how the game plays? Nope. Still seems
      overwhelming and I can't even suggest good things to do, until we're into
      the game a bit.

      Vitas: 114,000
      Harry: 113,000

      4-player Crokinole.

      Crokinole.
      Players were Donna, Shannon, Shannon's mother (M) and myself.
      Donna, Shannon, and M were new to the game.

      Shannon learned to relax and just play, though she kept hitting the pieces
      too hard. Donna and M were very competitive, but didn't reach that state
      of becoming one with the discs that is so necessary to win. :-)

      Shannon & Vitas: 120
      Donna & M: 90

      Shannon & Vitas: 100
      Donna & M: 35

      Shannon & Vitas: 125
      Donna & M: 15

      Shannon & Vitas: 100
      Donna & M: 75

      Shannon & Vitas: 105
      Donna & M: 45

      Shannon & Vitas: 185
      Donna & M: 75

      Deathmatch (winner of one round... it was getting late)
      Shannon & Vitas: 5
      Donna & M: 0