Re: [Unity_Games] SR: B2O March 1, 2001

  • Matthew Gray
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 3, 2002
      > We started the evening with Industrial Waste.
      [...]
      > I reached a point in the game where I was at
      > maximum waste and figured that I would just run at full capacity since I
      > couldn't generate any more waste than I already had.

      In our first game we missed a rule it sounds like you may have missed
      as well: If you do not have the capacity to store the waste by
      producing an order, you may not produce the order. I think this makes
      it a better (if somewhat longer) game.

      I also played a game of IW this weekend, and also lost due to
      insufficient waste management. Not a lot of recycling cards coming up
      late in the game. After 4 plays (3x4p, 1x2p), I'm still pretty
      pleased with this game. Very strategic, barely tactical, engaging and
      fun. Despite there being not a lot of player interaction, the game is
      much better with 4 than with 2, though it's not bad to learn/play with
      2, but I wouldn't pull it out as a 2 player very often.

      > The next new game I learned was Mama Mia. Very fitting since Matt and I had
      > just pizza for dinner. Alison was a great teacher and the game was very
      > interesting. I made no pizzas the first round, but made a strong comeback
      > in round 2. I don't remember who won, but I'd love to play it again, and
      > may even purchase a copy myself.

      Best "memory game" ever. :-) This also works well with younger
      (pre-teen) kids very well, and is enjoyable for all parties.

      ...Matthew
    • Susan Dohnim
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3, 2002
        Hmph!

        Kyle's Modern Art bidding was a *little* wild, and while it seemed out of
        whack, it had a purpose. Hey, I came in third.

        I'll be writing an essay entitled "Bidding in Modern Art: How I Learned to
        Stop Worrying and Love the Krypto" later this week. I'm sure you are all on
        the edge of your seats :). The gist is that I disagree with you and Campbell
        that the "ideal" bid is one in which you are bidding half of what you think
        the piece of art will be worth.

        For instance, I caught a lot of grief in the last round for bidding 43 on a
        Gitter that I thought would sell for 60 (but ended up selling for 70). It
        was perfectly rational . . . but I'll save that for the essay :).

        Kyle who is not Susan

      • Matthew Horn
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2002
          Industrial Waste
          Yep, we missed the rule about not being able to produce goods when you are at 16 in the waste category, too. I know Andrew wanted to try it but we were 1/2 through by the time he arrived.

          Like Palmyra, IW represents a slice of an economic system, and the game itself feels a little dry to me. I compare IW to Palmyra, a game that has some cool elements but isn't quite satisfying. I think either one of these would work really well if the systems were plugged into a larger game like Civilization.

          I look forward to playing IW again, though/

          Mamma Mia:
          Matt Gray wrote:
          >>Best "memory game" ever. :-) This also works well with younger
          >>(pre-teen) kids very well, and is enjoyable for all parties.

          I have to agree. This is a really cool little game and I can't wait to play it again. besides, the starting player is "hungriest".

          > We started the evening with Industrial Waste.
          [...]
          > I reached a point in the game where I was at
          > maximum waste and figured that I would just run at full capacity since
          > couldn't generate any more waste than I already had.

          In our first game we missed a rule it sounds like you may have missed
          as well: If you do not have the capacity to store the waste by
          producing an order, you may not produce the order. I think this makes
          it a better (if somewhat longer) game.

          I also played a game of IW this weekend, and also lost due to
          insufficient waste management. Not a lot of recycling cards coming up
          late in the game. After 4 plays (3x4p, 1x2p), I'm still pretty
          pleased with this game. Very strategic, barely tactical, engaging and
          fun. Despite there being not a lot of player interaction, the game is
          much better with 4 than with 2, though it's not bad to learn/play with
          2, but I wouldn't pull it out as a 2 player very often.

          > The next new game I learned was Mama Mia. Very fitting since Matt and
          I had
          > just pizza for dinner. Alison was a great teacher and the game was
          very
          > interesting. I made no pizzas the first round, but made a strong
          comeback
          > in round 2. I don't remember who won, but I'd love to play it again,
          and
          > may even purchase a copy myself.
        • hansel_ma
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3, 2002
            --- In Unity_Games@y..., "sahenshaw" <sahenshaw@j...> wrote:
            > Another fine evening of gaming at Cole Hall in Bridgewater, Ma.
            > Alison even came down to make an appearance, for the 1st time, for
            > some Friday night gaming (which seems only fair since David is
            > playing at SSG on Mondays). ;-)

            I wanted to check you all out and also finally meet the infamous Kyle
            who is not Susan. I really liked the B20 group and since I didn't
            officially meet K.W.I.N.S., you all can count on my returning again
            sometime soon!

            As for games played, I got in a game of Torres, which I haven't played
            in a long while. With the help of Greg, I remembered all the rules so
            I could explain it to Gary and Danielle. Well played by all, but I
            managed to sneak out a win after losing out on the king's bonus in the
            final round.

            After Torres, I found a few others (Adam, Matt H., Gary and Danielle)
            interested in playing Princes, which I have now decided is a habit I
            need to give up! Matt H. generously gave the game another try and did
            a great job, coming in second in a five player game while only putting
            on 3 works!! I, however, played even more miserably than in my last
            outing at Total Con. I need some sort of remedial refresher course or
            something!

            Finally, I taught the guys Mamma Mia, which is a game I really love.
            Matt complained throughout the first round that he had no idea what
            was going on and then apparently figured it out, beating us soundly!

            Great fun! Thanks!
            --Alison
          • Susan Dohnim
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 3, 2002
              >I wanted to check you all out and also finally meet the infamous Kyle
              >who is not Susan. I really liked the B20 group and since I didn't
              >officially meet K.W.I.N.S., you all can count on my returning again
              >sometime soon!

              Oh, so *you're* Allison. No, we did not "officially meet", I suppose --
              someone will have to be in charge of formal introductions next time!

              However, that is not the main point of this email.

              The main point is to mention the High Spot of the night -- really, the best
              part of the evening. And it's a sin that it hasn't been mentioned yet.

              I am, of course, talking about Kelli's cookies :).

              Damn, those were some good. Kelli -- if you promise to make another batch
              next week, I promise to bring a gallon of milk and some cups. Mmmmm mmmm
              mmmm.

              Kyle who is not Susan (Also known as KWINS)

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 4, 2002
                "hansel_ma" <maarnett@...> wrote:

                >Finally, I taught the guys Mamma Mia, which is a
                >game I really love.

                Considering I usually don't care for memory games, I'm a big fan
                of Mamma Mia! I'll pack it along for SSG tonight and hope that
                your other half will be there and hope he likes it too!

                Nice reports on B2O! I'll get back down there again soon...

                And I hope to see a few folks at B&N tonight! Anyone else
                going?!?

                dber@...