SR: B2O March 1, 2001

  • sahenshaw
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 3 8:35 AM
      Another fine evening of gaming at Cole Hall in Bridgewater, Ma.
      Alison even came down to make an appearance, for the 1st time, for
      some Friday night gaming (which seems only fair since David is
      playing at SSG on Mondays). ;-) Plus the thrill of three Scotts in
      one gaming hall!
      Attendance: (16) Campbell, Matt, David F., Adam, ScottH., Kelli,
      Scott A., Scott S., Danielle, Gary, Greg, Terry M., Kyle, Andrew,
      Alison and ~ 11:00, Brian.
      Games played: I did not make a list, so this is from memory (Please
      feel free to add my misses): Medina, Industrial Waste, Knights of the
      Rainbow, Carabande, Politics!, Where's Bob's Hat?, San Marco, Princes
      of Florence (with Matt playing!), Ursuppe, Samurai and more....

      Games I played:
      Medina: Kelli was hoping to play her new copy of this beautiful to
      look at game. I played the German version when it first came out last
      year. I thought it was nice enough, but not my cup of tea. I know how
      it is to want to play a new game, so we started play with Terry and
      Scott A. joining us. I remembered the rules as they were taught to
      me, but apparently they were corrected with the English release.
      Andrew and Scott S. came by to point out how we missed a few key
      rules. The correct rules would have really helped Scott A. We
      continued playing as we had started for continuity sake. In the end
      we ended up with a 5! asterisks game! It still was fun for most of us
      and with the real rules known, I will even try again!
      Scores: Kelli 42, ScottH. 36, Terry 31 & Scott A. 25

      Where's Bob's Hat?: I walked up to Scholars earlier and purchased
      this new English release of an older German release of Alan's that
      falls in the trick taking card game category. Andrew and Scott S. had
      played before, though a while ago, so a refresher course for them was
      needed and Kelli and I had to learn from scratch. The rules are quite
      simple. There are 3 suits of cards to the 60-card deck, each color
      has one of each of cards from 1 through 20. On the # 14 & 15 of each
      color (red, black & blue) there is a multi-colored baseball cap that
      is Bob's hat (for a total of 6). Included in the box are bidding
      cards for each players (up to 5 players can play, though 3-4 is the
      listed optimum) and 2 cards that show Bob's hat being worth +10 or –
      10 points. The dealer starts by dealing 5 cards to each player
      (youngest player starts Matt). The deal rotates left after each hand
      and the amount of cards dealt increases by 1 until you get to the
      ending amount, which depends on amount of players. Four players
      are , by the rulebook, 10 cards, but we played to 12 because it made
      more sense to end on a multiple of 4. (Alan why 10 for 4 players?)
      Four bidding cards are set aside and one is randomly chosen every
      round to signify trump for that round.
      The gray bidding card is used by the players to show least amount of
      cards, but if cut for trump it signifies no trump. The dealer looks
      at his/her hand and chooses whether Bob's hat is worth +10 or –10
      points and pushes the appropriate card to the center of the table.
      The dealer then has to bid. You have 4 bidding choices every
      round ,but can combine choices. You can go for most in any of the 3
      colors, singly or combined, or you can bid that you will take the
      least amount of cards compared to the rest of the players. Bidding
      goes around the table in order. When bidding is done, the dealer
      leads the first hand. Usual trump taking rules run the game from
      there. You must follow suit when able, highest card takes trick
      unless it has been trumped, then highest trump wins the trick. Any
      time a 14 or 15 is in a trick (Bob's Hat), the winner of the trick
      slides the Bob's Hat card in front of him/her. The last one to take a
      trick with a Bob's Hat will score the points on the scoring card (+
      or –10 depending on what the dealer chose). It is a nice trick taking
      game that I will want to see on the table in the future. There is a
      lot to consider when you bid. Sometimes your hand will be bad, but
      have one or two cards that will take tricks, so you can't bid least.
      You must the try for most in one color. Points are scored by making
      your bid and lost by failing. If you make your bid for most in a
      color, you receive 5 points for making the bid and 1 point for each
      card of that color in your pile. (Ties in card amounts do not count
      as most, you both lose!) If you fail to have the most, you lose 5
      points.
      If you bid for least amount of cards and succeed, you gain 1 point
      for each card dealt that round. Failure is the loss of the same
      amount of points. The game moved quick enough and I enjoyed the hard
      choices the cards left me at bidding on some hands. I also enjoyed
      coming from behind on the last deal and stealing Scott S's lead with
      31 points on the last hand! Great trick taking card game!
      Scores: ScottH. 64, Scott S. 43, Andrew 29 & Kelli –29

      Ursuppe: Same four from the card game pulled out the primordial soup
      game from Frank & Doris. Scott and Kelli were once again the newbies,
      but anxious to try this game. I was not disappointed. I had to guess
      which gene combos were good. Scott S. went for movement and
      slipstream and was everywhere. When Andrew picked up aggression and
      started eating Scott's fast amoebas he had to add escape. I went for
      food gene's and could eat less than everybody did and substitute what
      cube colors I could eat. Kelli went for longer life on her little
      guys. In the end speed and movement won. A harsh environment slowed
      down Scott, but not enough. Will gladly play this again.
      Scores: Scott S. 47, ScottH. 40, Kelli 38 & Andrew 37
      I packed up and left shortly after the end of that game (at 1:35
      A.M.).
      A late night that was very satisfying!
      Thanks to David T. and Scholars for the free space!
      ScottH.
    • AlanRMoon@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3 8:55 AM
        Glad you enjoyed WHERE'S BOB'S HAT Scott. Jay Tummelson changed the number of
        cards dealt and the number of hands played from my rules. No idea why. But it
        really doesn't matter much. When I played, it was almost always with three
        players. We'd start at 7 and go up from there and play 9 or 12 hands. So each
        of us got to deal an equal number of times. Your playing 12 hands instead of
        10 is definitely correct. We also liked to start with more cards (7 instead
        of 5 or 3 in the original rules) because there is more luck involved with
        less cards, but again, it's no big deal.

        Alan

        <<
      • Adam Smiles
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3 10:28 AM
          I don't think Scott and I managed to play at the same table all night, so I
          can comment on a number of other games that were played...

          It had been a while since I learned some new games at B2O, and I got to
          learn 3 this week.

          We started the evening with Industrial Waste. No one had played before so
          we muddled through the rules and asked lots of questions about stuff Matt
          had yet to get to. Once you get through a single turn, the game really
          clicks and should be easy to learn with an experienced teacher. The basic
          gist of the game is that you each run a factory and you have to balance your
          productivity against your waste. I understood all the rules, but missed
          something in the strategy. I reached a point in the game where I was at
          maximum waste and figured that I would just run at full capacity since I
          couldn't generate any more waste than I already had. This hurt me alot when
          all of the accident cards came rolling out. I finished with a negative
          score. I believe Dave took the win. I'd like to try this one again, now
          that I have firmer grasp on how everything works and how quickly the end
          game sneaks up on you.

          The next new game I learned was Mama Mia. Very fitting since Matt and I had
          just pizza for dinner. Alison was a great teacher and the game was very
          interesting. I made no pizzas the first round, but made a strong comeback
          in round 2. I don't remember who won, but I'd love to play it again, and
          may even purchase a copy myself.

          I finished out the night with Modern Art. I'm not sure how I managed to go
          so long without learning this game. Especially since I'm such a Knizia fan.
          Campbell plodded along very slowly, with no one really suspecting him of
          having much money. Kyle's bidding was wild and a little out of whack. But
          he spread the wealth and overpaid for everyone's paintings. I took second,
          losing to Campbell by about 16 dollars. Again, another game that I would
          like to see hit the table again.

          I also played a few games of Bluff, Samurai, and Princes of Florence. Yes
          Matt played, and he even seemed to enjoy it. His only real criticism was of
          some of the downtime, most of which was attributed to a first time player.
          With experienced players the pace of the game and actually be quite quick.

          Did not get to try, Politics!, Where's Bob's Hat, Capitol or Mexica, but
          that's what next week is for.

          -Adam

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3 11:02 AM
            > We started the evening with Industrial Waste.
            [...]
            > I reached a point in the game where I was at
            > maximum waste and figured that I would just run at full capacity since I
            > couldn't generate any more waste than I already had.

            In our first game we missed a rule it sounds like you may have missed
            as well: If you do not have the capacity to store the waste by
            producing an order, you may not produce the order. I think this makes
            it a better (if somewhat longer) game.

            I also played a game of IW this weekend, and also lost due to
            insufficient waste management. Not a lot of recycling cards coming up
            late in the game. After 4 plays (3x4p, 1x2p), I'm still pretty
            pleased with this game. Very strategic, barely tactical, engaging and
            fun. Despite there being not a lot of player interaction, the game is
            much better with 4 than with 2, though it's not bad to learn/play with
            2, but I wouldn't pull it out as a 2 player very often.

            > The next new game I learned was Mama Mia. Very fitting since Matt and I had
            > just pizza for dinner. Alison was a great teacher and the game was very
            > interesting. I made no pizzas the first round, but made a strong comeback
            > in round 2. I don't remember who won, but I'd love to play it again, and
            > may even purchase a copy myself.

            Best "memory game" ever. :-) This also works well with younger
            (pre-teen) kids very well, and is enjoyable for all parties.

            ...Matthew
          • Susan Dohnim
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 3 11:46 AM
              Hmph!

              Kyle's Modern Art bidding was a *little* wild, and while it seemed out of
              whack, it had a purpose. Hey, I came in third.

              I'll be writing an essay entitled "Bidding in Modern Art: How I Learned to
              Stop Worrying and Love the Krypto" later this week. I'm sure you are all on
              the edge of your seats :). The gist is that I disagree with you and Campbell
              that the "ideal" bid is one in which you are bidding half of what you think
              the piece of art will be worth.

              For instance, I caught a lot of grief in the last round for bidding 43 on a
              Gitter that I thought would sell for 60 (but ended up selling for 70). It
              was perfectly rational . . . but I'll save that for the essay :).

              Kyle who is not Susan

            • Matthew Horn
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 3 12:01 PM
                Industrial Waste
                Yep, we missed the rule about not being able to produce goods when you are at 16 in the waste category, too. I know Andrew wanted to try it but we were 1/2 through by the time he arrived.

                Like Palmyra, IW represents a slice of an economic system, and the game itself feels a little dry to me. I compare IW to Palmyra, a game that has some cool elements but isn't quite satisfying. I think either one of these would work really well if the systems were plugged into a larger game like Civilization.

                I look forward to playing IW again, though/

                Mamma Mia:
                Matt Gray wrote:
                >>Best "memory game" ever. :-) This also works well with younger
                >>(pre-teen) kids very well, and is enjoyable for all parties.

                I have to agree. This is a really cool little game and I can't wait to play it again. besides, the starting player is "hungriest".

                > We started the evening with Industrial Waste.
                [...]
                > I reached a point in the game where I was at
                > maximum waste and figured that I would just run at full capacity since
                > couldn't generate any more waste than I already had.

                In our first game we missed a rule it sounds like you may have missed
                as well: If you do not have the capacity to store the waste by
                producing an order, you may not produce the order. I think this makes
                it a better (if somewhat longer) game.

                I also played a game of IW this weekend, and also lost due to
                insufficient waste management. Not a lot of recycling cards coming up
                late in the game. After 4 plays (3x4p, 1x2p), I'm still pretty
                pleased with this game. Very strategic, barely tactical, engaging and
                fun. Despite there being not a lot of player interaction, the game is
                much better with 4 than with 2, though it's not bad to learn/play with
                2, but I wouldn't pull it out as a 2 player very often.

                > The next new game I learned was Mama Mia. Very fitting since Matt and
                I had
                > just pizza for dinner. Alison was a great teacher and the game was
                very
                > interesting. I made no pizzas the first round, but made a strong
                comeback
                > in round 2. I don't remember who won, but I'd love to play it again,
                and
                > may even purchase a copy myself.
              • hansel_ma
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 3 6:01 PM
                  --- In Unity_Games@y..., "sahenshaw" <sahenshaw@j...> wrote:
                  > Another fine evening of gaming at Cole Hall in Bridgewater, Ma.
                  > Alison even came down to make an appearance, for the 1st time, for
                  > some Friday night gaming (which seems only fair since David is
                  > playing at SSG on Mondays). ;-)

                  I wanted to check you all out and also finally meet the infamous Kyle
                  who is not Susan. I really liked the B20 group and since I didn't
                  officially meet K.W.I.N.S., you all can count on my returning again
                  sometime soon!

                  As for games played, I got in a game of Torres, which I haven't played
                  in a long while. With the help of Greg, I remembered all the rules so
                  I could explain it to Gary and Danielle. Well played by all, but I
                  managed to sneak out a win after losing out on the king's bonus in the
                  final round.

                  After Torres, I found a few others (Adam, Matt H., Gary and Danielle)
                  interested in playing Princes, which I have now decided is a habit I
                  need to give up! Matt H. generously gave the game another try and did
                  a great job, coming in second in a five player game while only putting
                  on 3 works!! I, however, played even more miserably than in my last
                  outing at Total Con. I need some sort of remedial refresher course or
                  something!

                  Finally, I taught the guys Mamma Mia, which is a game I really love.
                  Matt complained throughout the first round that he had no idea what
                  was going on and then apparently figured it out, beating us soundly!

                  Great fun! Thanks!
                  --Alison
                • Susan Dohnim
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 3 6:22 PM
                    >I wanted to check you all out and also finally meet the infamous Kyle
                    >who is not Susan. I really liked the B20 group and since I didn't
                    >officially meet K.W.I.N.S., you all can count on my returning again
                    >sometime soon!

                    Oh, so *you're* Allison. No, we did not "officially meet", I suppose --
                    someone will have to be in charge of formal introductions next time!

                    However, that is not the main point of this email.

                    The main point is to mention the High Spot of the night -- really, the best
                    part of the evening. And it's a sin that it hasn't been mentioned yet.

                    I am, of course, talking about Kelli's cookies :).

                    Damn, those were some good. Kelli -- if you promise to make another batch
                    next week, I promise to bring a gallon of milk and some cups. Mmmmm mmmm
                    mmmm.

                    Kyle who is not Susan (Also known as KWINS)

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 4 4:49 AM
                      "hansel_ma" <maarnett@...> wrote:

                      >Finally, I taught the guys Mamma Mia, which is a
                      >game I really love.

                      Considering I usually don't care for memory games, I'm a big fan
                      of Mamma Mia! I'll pack it along for SSG tonight and hope that
                      your other half will be there and hope he likes it too!

                      Nice reports on B2O! I'll get back down there again soon...

                      And I hope to see a few folks at B&N tonight! Anyone else
                      going?!?

                      dber@...