Re: [Unity_Games] Evolution of Hick Hack Rules (was Re: Top 10 February Games - A Retrospective)

  • Richard Spoonts
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
      --- cwmassey <cwmassey@...> wrote:
      > February Version (no guarantee this is final or
      > right, but I'm
      > following Pitt's lead)
      > 1. Final score is the value of your corn and the
      > remain bird cards in
      > your hand and in your score pile
      > 2. Birds captured by foxes go into your score pile
      > - not your hand
      > 3. shy birds (poo piles) can be captured by foxes

      The most recent rules I have played by state that
      birds in the hand score nothing. Only birds captured
      by a fox and placed in the score pile score any
      points.

      Richard

      http://sports.yahoo.com
    • Pitt Crandlemire
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 2, 2002
        At 08:59 PM 3/1/02 -0000, cwmassey wrote:

        >February Version (no guarantee this is final or right, but I'm
        >following Pitt's lead)
        >1. Final score is the value of your corn and the remain bird cards in
        >your hand and in your score pile
        >2. Birds captured by foxes go into your score pile - not your hand
        >3. shy birds (poo piles) can be captured by foxes
        >
        >Pitt can you confirm or deny?

        That's the correct version.

        -Pitt
      • karlvonl.geo
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 2, 2002
          --- In Unity_Games@y..., Richard Spoonts <Richard_BOS@y...> wrote:

          > The most recent rules I have played by state that
          > birds in the hand score nothing. Only birds captured
          > by a fox and placed in the score pile score any
          > points.

          But "a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush". Assuming that the
          foxes are hiding the chicken carcasses in a bush, which is the score
          pile, then this either means that chickens in the score pile are
          worth double their face value, or they are worth exactly 2 points
          each. We need some clarification on this.
        • Matthew Gray
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 2, 2002
            > >February Version (no guarantee this is final or right, but I'm
            > >following Pitt's lead)
            > >1. Final score is the value of your corn and the remain bird cards in
            > >your hand and in your score pile
            > >2. Birds captured by foxes go into your score pile - not your hand
            > >3. shy birds (poo piles) can be captured by foxes
            > >
            > >Pitt can you confirm or deny?
            >
            > That's the correct version.

            Both the funagain translation and the BGG translation claim you don't
            count cards in your hand toward your score.

            The German is a little ambiguous:

            "Nun zahlt jeder seine gesammelten Korner (unterschiedliche Werte je
            Farbe beachten!) und Geflugel (je nach Kartenwert) zusammen."

            which basically says "Now each player totals his grain (different
            colors are worth different values) and fowl (the worth of each card)
            together."

            It doesn't explicitly exclude cards in your hand, but it doesn't
            explicitly include them. Further, the rules state that you put grain
            and fowl your foxes eat in your "Nahrungsvorrat" or "nutrition
            supply". Then, after the rule about totaling up points: "Der Spieler
            mit den meisten Siegpunkten hat seinent Hunger am dauerhaftesten
            gestillt..." which is "The player with the most points has satiated
            his hunger the best..." implying that only "eaten" cards/grain count
            toward your points.

            ...Matthew