RE: [Unity_Games] Top 10 February Games - A Retrospective

  • Matthew Horn
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
      Craig, what is the most recent change to the interpretation of Hick Hack rules?

    • cwmassey
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
        --- In Unity_Games@y..., Matthew Horn <mhorn@m...> wrote:
        > Craig, what is the most recent change to the interpretation of Hick
        Hack rules?

        Here is the history of the rules that I was taught

        November version - game is a shiny new penny
        1. Final score is the value of your corn.
        2. Foxes steal chickens which go into your hand and can be played.

        December Version
        1. Final Score is the value of your corn and the remaining bird cards
        in your hand. Foxes don't score anything
        2. Foxes still steal chickens birds which go into your hand

        February Version (no guarantee this is final or right, but I'm
        following Pitt's lead)
        1. Final score is the value of your corn and the remain bird cards in
        your hand and in your score pile
        2. Birds captured by foxes go into your score pile - not your hand
        3. shy birds (poo piles) can be captured by foxes

        Pitt can you confirm or deny?

        So this is the latest and I hope final version. Each time I thought
        the game actually got better and was more enjoyable. Who knows, we
        still are probably playing something wrong.

        Craig
      • cwmassey
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
          --- In Unity_Games@y..., Walter Hunt <hotc@a...> wrote:
          > I believe that the most important part of Basari is to figure out
          what
          > other people are going to pick. It's sort of like an SAT question -
          you
          > can usually rule out one or even two choices based on board position
          or
          > jewels held. It's a guessing game, and there is the
          > groupthink/anti-groupthink thing going on, but I reallly like it.
          Adel
          > is a pretty cool game too, but I prefer Basari. I know it's not one
          of
          > your favorites, but it's one of mine - and thanks to Dave Cousins I
          > finally have one!

          I like both games and will gladly play either. As Walter mentioned,
          in Basari you are trying to put your best guess on what opponents will
          do. I think the same is true of Adel. I don't think Basari has the
          same tension level that Adel has, but what I like about it is the
          bidding mechanism so everyone in theory has a chance to get something.
          I also think the bidding mechanism where the players involved must up
          the bid or drop and cannot state what they would like, but instead
          must state what they will give works very well.

          What I think makes the games different is Basari has one level of out
          guessing. You try to figure out what you want verses what opponents
          want and go for it. In Adel, you do this twice - deciding on the
          Auction House verses Castle and then again at the respective location
          depending on who else shows up.

          I also think both games have multiple paths to victory - no one
          strategy dominates.

          Craig
        • Richard Spoonts
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
            --- cwmassey <cwmassey@...> wrote:
            > February Version (no guarantee this is final or
            > right, but I'm
            > following Pitt's lead)
            > 1. Final score is the value of your corn and the
            > remain bird cards in
            > your hand and in your score pile
            > 2. Birds captured by foxes go into your score pile
            > - not your hand
            > 3. shy birds (poo piles) can be captured by foxes

            The most recent rules I have played by state that
            birds in the hand score nothing. Only birds captured
            by a fox and placed in the score pile score any
            points.

            Richard

            http://sports.yahoo.com
          • Pitt Crandlemire
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 2, 2002
              At 08:59 PM 3/1/02 -0000, cwmassey wrote:

              >February Version (no guarantee this is final or right, but I'm
              >following Pitt's lead)
              >1. Final score is the value of your corn and the remain bird cards in
              >your hand and in your score pile
              >2. Birds captured by foxes go into your score pile - not your hand
              >3. shy birds (poo piles) can be captured by foxes
              >
              >Pitt can you confirm or deny?

              That's the correct version.

              -Pitt
            • karlvonl.geo
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 2, 2002
                --- In Unity_Games@y..., Richard Spoonts <Richard_BOS@y...> wrote:

                > The most recent rules I have played by state that
                > birds in the hand score nothing. Only birds captured
                > by a fox and placed in the score pile score any
                > points.

                But "a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush". Assuming that the
                foxes are hiding the chicken carcasses in a bush, which is the score
                pile, then this either means that chickens in the score pile are
                worth double their face value, or they are worth exactly 2 points
                each. We need some clarification on this.
              • Matthew Gray
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 2, 2002
                  > >February Version (no guarantee this is final or right, but I'm
                  > >following Pitt's lead)
                  > >1. Final score is the value of your corn and the remain bird cards in
                  > >your hand and in your score pile
                  > >2. Birds captured by foxes go into your score pile - not your hand
                  > >3. shy birds (poo piles) can be captured by foxes
                  > >
                  > >Pitt can you confirm or deny?
                  >
                  > That's the correct version.

                  Both the funagain translation and the BGG translation claim you don't
                  count cards in your hand toward your score.

                  The German is a little ambiguous:

                  "Nun zahlt jeder seine gesammelten Korner (unterschiedliche Werte je
                  Farbe beachten!) und Geflugel (je nach Kartenwert) zusammen."

                  which basically says "Now each player totals his grain (different
                  colors are worth different values) and fowl (the worth of each card)
                  together."

                  It doesn't explicitly exclude cards in your hand, but it doesn't
                  explicitly include them. Further, the rules state that you put grain
                  and fowl your foxes eat in your "Nahrungsvorrat" or "nutrition
                  supply". Then, after the rule about totaling up points: "Der Spieler
                  mit den meisten Siegpunkten hat seinent Hunger am dauerhaftesten
                  gestillt..." which is "The player with the most points has satiated
                  his hunger the best..." implying that only "eaten" cards/grain count
                  toward your points.

                  ...Matthew