Re: [Unity_Games] Top 10 February Games - A Retrospective

  • Walter Hunt
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 28, 2002
      Pitt Crandlemire wrote:

      > Interesting. I hate Basari but Adel is one of all time favorites. I can
      > sort of see the connection (simultaneous blind selection of options) but
      > Basari feels really random to me while Adel is (to me) almost a pure
      > strategy game. Yet, I've heard people (who don't get it) say that Adel is
      > essentially random. Am I missing something with Basari?
      >
      > -Pitt

      I believe that the most important part of Basari is to figure out what
      other people are going to pick. It's sort of like an SAT question - you
      can usually rule out one or even two choices based on board position or
      jewels held. It's a guessing game, and there is the
      groupthink/anti-groupthink thing going on, but I reallly like it. Adel
      is a pretty cool game too, but I prefer Basari. I know it's not one of
      your favorites, but it's one of mine - and thanks to Dave Cousins I
      finally have one!

      Walter.
    • cwmassey
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
        A correction. Wongar is a much maligned game from Alan and Richard
        Borg. But if you want to complain about it send your comments to
        Alan. He'll gladly take them.

        --- In Unity_Games@y..., Craig Massey <cwmassey@y...> wrote:
        > 2. Wongar: The oft maligned and much misunderstood
        > game from Alan. I've tried all the variants and I'm
        > now convinced the game is best as is. The first few
        > times I played I did a very poor job of planning ahead
        > and so the luck aspect of the scorpions felt very
        > random, but after 4 plays, you can do a lot to mitgate
        > that and plan for big scoring moves. This game
        > deserves more play.
      • Matthew Horn
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
          Craig, what is the most recent change to the interpretation of Hick Hack rules?

        • cwmassey
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
            --- In Unity_Games@y..., Matthew Horn <mhorn@m...> wrote:
            > Craig, what is the most recent change to the interpretation of Hick
            Hack rules?

            Here is the history of the rules that I was taught

            November version - game is a shiny new penny
            1. Final score is the value of your corn.
            2. Foxes steal chickens which go into your hand and can be played.

            December Version
            1. Final Score is the value of your corn and the remaining bird cards
            in your hand. Foxes don't score anything
            2. Foxes still steal chickens birds which go into your hand

            February Version (no guarantee this is final or right, but I'm
            following Pitt's lead)
            1. Final score is the value of your corn and the remain bird cards in
            your hand and in your score pile
            2. Birds captured by foxes go into your score pile - not your hand
            3. shy birds (poo piles) can be captured by foxes

            Pitt can you confirm or deny?

            So this is the latest and I hope final version. Each time I thought
            the game actually got better and was more enjoyable. Who knows, we
            still are probably playing something wrong.

            Craig
          • cwmassey
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
              --- In Unity_Games@y..., Walter Hunt <hotc@a...> wrote:
              > I believe that the most important part of Basari is to figure out
              what
              > other people are going to pick. It's sort of like an SAT question -
              you
              > can usually rule out one or even two choices based on board position
              or
              > jewels held. It's a guessing game, and there is the
              > groupthink/anti-groupthink thing going on, but I reallly like it.
              Adel
              > is a pretty cool game too, but I prefer Basari. I know it's not one
              of
              > your favorites, but it's one of mine - and thanks to Dave Cousins I
              > finally have one!

              I like both games and will gladly play either. As Walter mentioned,
              in Basari you are trying to put your best guess on what opponents will
              do. I think the same is true of Adel. I don't think Basari has the
              same tension level that Adel has, but what I like about it is the
              bidding mechanism so everyone in theory has a chance to get something.
              I also think the bidding mechanism where the players involved must up
              the bid or drop and cannot state what they would like, but instead
              must state what they will give works very well.

              What I think makes the games different is Basari has one level of out
              guessing. You try to figure out what you want verses what opponents
              want and go for it. In Adel, you do this twice - deciding on the
              Auction House verses Castle and then again at the respective location
              depending on who else shows up.

              I also think both games have multiple paths to victory - no one
              strategy dominates.

              Craig
            • Richard Spoonts
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 1, 2002
                --- cwmassey <cwmassey@...> wrote:
                > February Version (no guarantee this is final or
                > right, but I'm
                > following Pitt's lead)
                > 1. Final score is the value of your corn and the
                > remain bird cards in
                > your hand and in your score pile
                > 2. Birds captured by foxes go into your score pile
                > - not your hand
                > 3. shy birds (poo piles) can be captured by foxes

                The most recent rules I have played by state that
                birds in the hand score nothing. Only birds captured
                by a fox and placed in the score pile score any
                points.

                Richard

                http://sports.yahoo.com
              • Pitt Crandlemire
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 2, 2002
                  At 08:59 PM 3/1/02 -0000, cwmassey wrote:

                  >February Version (no guarantee this is final or right, but I'm
                  >following Pitt's lead)
                  >1. Final score is the value of your corn and the remain bird cards in
                  >your hand and in your score pile
                  >2. Birds captured by foxes go into your score pile - not your hand
                  >3. shy birds (poo piles) can be captured by foxes
                  >
                  >Pitt can you confirm or deny?

                  That's the correct version.

                  -Pitt
                • karlvonl.geo
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 2, 2002
                    --- In Unity_Games@y..., Richard Spoonts <Richard_BOS@y...> wrote:

                    > The most recent rules I have played by state that
                    > birds in the hand score nothing. Only birds captured
                    > by a fox and placed in the score pile score any
                    > points.

                    But "a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush". Assuming that the
                    foxes are hiding the chicken carcasses in a bush, which is the score
                    pile, then this either means that chickens in the score pile are
                    worth double their face value, or they are worth exactly 2 points
                    each. We need some clarification on this.
                  • Matthew Gray
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 2, 2002
                      > >February Version (no guarantee this is final or right, but I'm
                      > >following Pitt's lead)
                      > >1. Final score is the value of your corn and the remain bird cards in
                      > >your hand and in your score pile
                      > >2. Birds captured by foxes go into your score pile - not your hand
                      > >3. shy birds (poo piles) can be captured by foxes
                      > >
                      > >Pitt can you confirm or deny?
                      >
                      > That's the correct version.

                      Both the funagain translation and the BGG translation claim you don't
                      count cards in your hand toward your score.

                      The German is a little ambiguous:

                      "Nun zahlt jeder seine gesammelten Korner (unterschiedliche Werte je
                      Farbe beachten!) und Geflugel (je nach Kartenwert) zusammen."

                      which basically says "Now each player totals his grain (different
                      colors are worth different values) and fowl (the worth of each card)
                      together."

                      It doesn't explicitly exclude cards in your hand, but it doesn't
                      explicitly include them. Further, the rules state that you put grain
                      and fowl your foxes eat in your "Nahrungsvorrat" or "nutrition
                      supply". Then, after the rule about totaling up points: "Der Spieler
                      mit den meisten Siegpunkten hat seinent Hunger am dauerhaftesten
                      gestillt..." which is "The player with the most points has satiated
                      his hunger the best..." implying that only "eaten" cards/grain count
                      toward your points.

                      ...Matthew