Re: B20 SR 2-22

  • spielfreak007
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 26, 2002
      Nice report, Matt. Here are some comments on games that I played.

      Murder in the Abbey: Dave.F, Bill, Campbell, Ben, and Phil
      Dave put together an English version using Bruno's zip files. He did
      a mighty nice job, too; the cards and screens were thick card stock,
      the board was colorful and rigid, and the playing pieces (borrowed
      from Heimlich & Co?) were of sufficient girth to resemble monks.
      Well done, Dave! The game itself is a chaotic form of Clue, as you
      are trying to deduce the identity of a hidden monk by asking other
      players for information based on the monk cards they have in their
      hands. What makes it chaotic is that the monk cards change hands at
      certain points in the game, making it hard to track. For example, if
      I ask one player how many hooded Benedictines he has, he may
      truthfully tell me, say, one, but then subsequently pass this card
      (unknown to me) to the next player. So if I later ask this next
      player the same question, I'll get a response that again is truthful
      for that point in time, but possibly misleading if I compare it with
      the previous turn's response. You can ask any type of question,
      including "How many fat brothers have you seen?" or "Have you checked
      off Novice Gerard?". Certain rooms offer various benefits: you may
      receive and play a scroll in the scriptorium, or a book in the
      library, and you may receive an additional monk card (while they
      last) in the parlor. You get to take a card from a player if you
      visit their cell, and you may make revelations (whereby you state
      something like, "The murderer was a Father") when in the Chamber, and
      possibly earn (or lose) points in the end. Every fourth round there
      is a mass, and everyone skidaddles to the chapel. An event card is
      then read, which generally stays in affect until the next mass. The
      funniest event directed us to carry on all discussions using
      Gregorian chants! It turns out that Campbell is a surpisingly fine
      tenor -- perhaps there's an alt.career in his future. ;-) Dave wound
      up winning by using his library book and correctly stating the
      murderer's name. I never seemed to ask the right questions, and I
      found it difficult to make deductions when the targets were
      constantly moving. The goal is to view as many monk cards as
      possible, but I'm not sure what the right strategy is to achieve this
      goal.

      Hick Hack in Gackelwack: Dave, Bill, Campbell, Ben, Phil
      A quick filler. I got lucky and had wolves eat chickens on three
      successive turns, and managed to get my fair share of seeds to take
      the win. It looked grim for Bill for a while -- he actually was
      running a negative score until the second-to-last hand.

      Expedition: Dave, Bill, Campbell, Ben, Phil
      This was a surprisingly good game! And it's one that I'm confident
      can be taught to and enjoyed by non-gamers and children. Campbell
      was the first to complete all expeditions, but I think Ben completed
      more and took the win 14 to 13.

      Call My Bluff: Dave, Bill, Campbell, Ben, Phil
      Yep, I've got a lot to learn about bluffing. Bill took me to school
      a couple of times, the slime. Campbell took the win, defeating Dave
      when they were both left with one die.

      Modern Art: Dave, Jesse, Bill, Phil
      This was the first game I've played at B20 where everyone already new
      the rules! I had a strong first round, an OK second round, and zilch
      for the final two rounds. Jesse made some fantastic moves: early in
      the third round he offered a double open bid on Lite Metal, which had
      come in second place with four cards in each of the first two rounds.
      I was reluctant to bid, thinking that the hoards of Yoko and whatever-
      that-pink-artist's-name-is artwork would come out. Jesse won the
      auction at 51, and proceeded to pocket 60 apiece for them (120
      total), as the round was ended early! Also, twice he successfully
      placed a bare double card and profited. One time he got the artwork
      for free, and the second time someone placed a second card on it, and
      thereby adding the fifth card of the artist and ending the round.
      The final scores were Jesse 350+, Dave 300+, Phil 275, and Bill
      200+.

      > Crokinole
      Yeah, I got crushed by Kyle, too.

      > Werewolf
      > I was a werewolf, and when I woke up and saw noone else, I shrugged
      and chose Phil as my first victim. However, it turned out that we
      played the variant where the first werewolf chooses the second
      werewolf on the first nite. Interesting mechanic, really, if I had
      been paying attention. So instead of the village waking up with one
      dead peasant, it woke up to the cries of one confused werewolf and
      Phil. I don't think Phil knew he was the werewolf, either, since
      during the first day's execution phase, he asked "How would that
      werewolf know he was picked?"
      ==> Truthfully, I did feel Jesse tap me, but since he was circling
      the table I wanted to make sure it wasn't an accidental tap. I think
      this made me appear innocent, too :)

      Additional thanks to whoever brought in the home-made cookies -- the
      chocolate chip ones were delicious!!