Re: [Unity_Games] online retailers, 2002

  • Matthew Gray
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2002
      > If Scholar's was closer and YMG cleaned up their
      > store, I might be inclined to shop at them more. I
      > haven't checked out Danger Planet Yet.

      Actually, YMG just got a new manager (Tony) and one of the things he
      indicated he would be doing is cleaning up the store a bit more.

      Of course it's a really old building and seems to exude dirt, anway...

      ...Matthew
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2002
        Craig Massey <cwmassey@...> wrote:

        >I'm not sure - I use Boulder sparingly, but we have
        >always had good success when ordering prize table
        >games for UG events and I know Dave and Mark use them
        >quit a bit if I remember with good success.

        I've had nothing but good luck with Boulder Games. The one and
        only time I had a screw up, I got a free copy of the new HAH
        History of the World. The website definitely needs more frequent
        updates but does seem to included the new stock (at the top) as
        it comes in. Not sure if Boulder Jim still posts in r.g.b.m with
        his "sampler" lists which are usually very up to date.

        dber@...
      • Vitas Povilaitis
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2002
          Hello Andrew,

          I just got into a boardgame kick late last year, so I haven't tried many
          retailers yet. My experience with game retailers:

          Funagain.com: I ordered a batch of games from them in December and
          received them in time for Christmas. One Cheapass Game was out of stock
          but they mailed it separately without charge (because it's such a cheapie
          compared to the batch I purchased.)

          FineGames.com: I ordered a game from them and it was exactly like their
          catalog described. (They have a lot of out-of-print games in various
          conditions which is described in their catalog.)

          Danger Planet, Waltham: They have a stock of new games and a playing area
          for evening gaming. They let you save $100 in receipts to get 10% off
          their your next purchase which I took advantage of. Also, their website
          (http://www.dangerplanetgames.com) says they'll give you 20% off a $100+
          purchase.

          Game Keeper, Salem, NH: They have a variety of games and a knowledgeable
          group working there. I found Roborally there in December! In Rockingham
          Mall. (Now if only I can find the expansions, cheap. :-)

          HobbyTown, Burlington: They have a small selection of games. It's mostly
          a model shop, so people who're into that and miniatures should check it
          out. Sign up for a 10% discount.

          eBay: Bought a few games from a variety of people. Haven't had any
          trouble there. My strategy is, I just read descriptions carefully, and if
          information is forthcoming and complete, then the seller is trustworthy,
          otherwise the seller doesn't really know what he has on their hands and
          may not be helpful in resolving issues. (I don't know if my reasoning is
          correct, but my strategy works.)

          Hope this helps.

          -Vitas P.-
        • beanfiend3000
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2002
            my funagain order:

            i placed an order right after their january sale went up to get a
            copy of durch die wuste and silverton. i threw on a few other things
            and after getting price matches on a couple of items the order was
            finalized on january 16. last week i still hadn't received it so i
            emailed them to find out the tracking number on my shipment. as it
            turned out the order had never shipped due to some miscommunication
            (lack of communication) on their end. so they upgraded my shipping
            to their fast option and didn't charge me for shipping. i was
            worried that they would not include some of the items i got from the
            sale (since everything sold out quickly) but everything arrived
            today. this is the second order they've messed up for me but
            fortunately both mistakes have ended up in my favor. so they haven't
            pissed me off yet.

            i've had nothing but good experiences with boulder, fair play games,
            adam spielt, and game surplus. i never order domestically from
            anyone but boulder unless they do not have an item i'm looking for.
            later -- jake.