Re: [Unity_Games] online retailers, 2002

  • Craig Massey
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2002
      --- AndAgainMA@... wrote:
      > This is prompted by recent experience with Funagain,
      > my main source for games
      > since I stumbled into this hobby. My most recent
      > order took a little longer
      > than it should have done. It may have been the fault
      > of FedEx rather than of
      > Funagain, but (i) I doubt it, and (ii) Funagain did
      > make the decision to use
      > FedEx. I gather that others who ordered at around
      > the same time (a few weeks
      > ago) had worse experiences. Anyone like to give us
      > an update that their
      > Funagain shopping?

      My recent experience with Funagain has been less than
      expected. Delays, damaged game, out of stock items
      have all caused me to reevaluate Funagain. I've
      received an email from Bob saying they are working to
      improve their customer service to bring it back up to
      what it used to be which I would consider to be head
      and shoulders above the rest, but I'm hearing more and
      more stories about mix-ups and problems. I hope they
      do because I've become very dissappointed with them
      which is too bad since they in my mind are the first
      to bring us the best variety at very good prices so I
      want to be loyal to them.

      > When I go to Boulder's site, I find a price list
      > that hasn't been updated for
      > about 6 weeks. Anyone know what's going on there?

      I'm not sure - I use Boulder sparingly, but we have
      always had good success when ordering prize table
      games for UG events and I know Dave and Mark use them
      quit a bit if I remember with good success.

      > And there's Adam Spielt, if you can take the
      > transatlantic wait as a tradeoff
      > with the great prices.

      AS for me is the way to go to get the non English
      games quickly and cheaply, especially when a large
      order is placed. Delivery time has been as little as
      10 days (same as Funagain in a lot of cases).

      > And one can actually go to a real store and buy
      > games! The stores that
      > provide gaming space and/or discounts spring to
      > mind: Scholars, Your Move
      > Games, Danger Planet,...

      Why Games People Play can't somehow find a way to bet
      people into their store and purchasing games is beyond
      me. What a wasted opportunity for them.

      If Scholar's was closer and YMG cleaned up their
      store, I might be inclined to shop at them more. I
      haven't checked out Danger Planet Yet.

      =====
      Craig W. Massey
      cwmassey@...

      http://auctions.yahoo.com
    • Matthew Gray
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2002
        > If Scholar's was closer and YMG cleaned up their
        > store, I might be inclined to shop at them more. I
        > haven't checked out Danger Planet Yet.

        Actually, YMG just got a new manager (Tony) and one of the things he
        indicated he would be doing is cleaning up the store a bit more.

        Of course it's a really old building and seems to exude dirt, anway...

        ...Matthew
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2002
          Craig Massey <cwmassey@...> wrote:

          >I'm not sure - I use Boulder sparingly, but we have
          >always had good success when ordering prize table
          >games for UG events and I know Dave and Mark use them
          >quit a bit if I remember with good success.

          I've had nothing but good luck with Boulder Games. The one and
          only time I had a screw up, I got a free copy of the new HAH
          History of the World. The website definitely needs more frequent
          updates but does seem to included the new stock (at the top) as
          it comes in. Not sure if Boulder Jim still posts in r.g.b.m with
          his "sampler" lists which are usually very up to date.

          dber@...
        • Vitas Povilaitis
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2002
            Hello Andrew,

            I just got into a boardgame kick late last year, so I haven't tried many
            retailers yet. My experience with game retailers:

            Funagain.com: I ordered a batch of games from them in December and
            received them in time for Christmas. One Cheapass Game was out of stock
            but they mailed it separately without charge (because it's such a cheapie
            compared to the batch I purchased.)

            FineGames.com: I ordered a game from them and it was exactly like their
            catalog described. (They have a lot of out-of-print games in various
            conditions which is described in their catalog.)

            Danger Planet, Waltham: They have a stock of new games and a playing area
            for evening gaming. They let you save $100 in receipts to get 10% off
            their your next purchase which I took advantage of. Also, their website
            (http://www.dangerplanetgames.com) says they'll give you 20% off a $100+
            purchase.

            Game Keeper, Salem, NH: They have a variety of games and a knowledgeable
            group working there. I found Roborally there in December! In Rockingham
            Mall. (Now if only I can find the expansions, cheap. :-)

            HobbyTown, Burlington: They have a small selection of games. It's mostly
            a model shop, so people who're into that and miniatures should check it
            out. Sign up for a 10% discount.

            eBay: Bought a few games from a variety of people. Haven't had any
            trouble there. My strategy is, I just read descriptions carefully, and if
            information is forthcoming and complete, then the seller is trustworthy,
            otherwise the seller doesn't really know what he has on their hands and
            may not be helpful in resolving issues. (I don't know if my reasoning is
            correct, but my strategy works.)

            Hope this helps.

            -Vitas P.-
          • beanfiend3000
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2002
              my funagain order:

              i placed an order right after their january sale went up to get a
              copy of durch die wuste and silverton. i threw on a few other things
              and after getting price matches on a couple of items the order was
              finalized on january 16. last week i still hadn't received it so i
              emailed them to find out the tracking number on my shipment. as it
              turned out the order had never shipped due to some miscommunication
              (lack of communication) on their end. so they upgraded my shipping
              to their fast option and didn't charge me for shipping. i was
              worried that they would not include some of the items i got from the
              sale (since everything sold out quickly) but everything arrived
              today. this is the second order they've messed up for me but
              fortunately both mistakes have ended up in my favor. so they haven't
              pissed me off yet.

              i've had nothing but good experiences with boulder, fair play games,
              adam spielt, and game surplus. i never order domestically from
              anyone but boulder unless they do not have an item i'm looking for.
              later -- jake.