Re: [Unity_Games] B&N - Sep 4 (not 3), 2000

  • AndAgainMA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2000
      I have bad news to report. I have yet to be outbid for High Bid. But there
      are four and half days to go, and if I win, then at least it's a nice-looking
      game.

      And there is far more good news than bad news on the gaming front. I was in
      an excellent game of what has become my favorite German-style game: Euphrat &
      Tigris. I set my sights on beating Jonathan. Since Pete was a T&E rookie, and
      Alison kept claiming she didn't know what was going on, I thought that
      beating Jonathan would mean winning the game.

      I started well, scored well on treasures. But I didn't have a very productive
      middle game, losing a couple of key conflicts. Then Alison accelerated into
      top gear as we were running out of tiles, and when we counted, she had 8 to
      Jonathan's 7 and my 7. As things turned out, I failed in my objective of
      beating Jonathan, since he had a 7/7/7/9 distribution of points, and I had
      the perfectly even but lesser distribution of 7/7/7/7 (after adding in
      treasures).

      Congratulations to Alison. Next time I'll keep a closer eye on her... but
      I'll still watch out for Jonathan. (Pete did not appear keen to return to
      T&E.)

      Andrew.
    • pldr
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4, 2000
        The A-man reported:

        > And there is far more good news than bad news on the gaming front.
        I was in
        > an excellent game of what has become my favorite German-style game:
        Euphrat &
        > Tigris. I set my sights on beating Jonathan. Since Pete was a T&E
        rookie, and
        > Alison kept claiming she didn't know what was going on, I thought
        that
        > beating Jonathan would mean winning the game.
        >
        > I started well, scored well on treasures. But I didn't have a very
        productive
        > middle game, losing a couple of key conflicts. Then Alison
        accelerated into
        > top gear as we were running out of tiles, and when we counted, she
        had 8 to
        > Jonathan's 7 and my 7. As things turned out, I failed in my
        objective of
        > beating Jonathan, since he had a 7/7/7/9 distribution of points,
        and I had
        > the perfectly even but lesser distribution of 7/7/7/7 (after adding
        in
        > treasures).
        >
        > Congratulations to Alison. Next time I'll keep a closer eye on
        her... but
        > I'll still watch out for Jonathan. (Pete did not appear keen to
        return to
        > T&E.)

        Actually, I wouldn't mind playing it again, but I do find the game
        very counter-intuitive. It's either a brilliant design or a bad
        one--
        not sure which. It's certainly no Mississippi Queen.

        Alison chronically complains about not doing well or not
        understanding
        every game she plays. It's part of her game plan: she lulls the
        unsuspecting,
        like Andrew, into a false sense of security, and then hammers them.

        My admiration for her knows no bounds.

        Pete
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2000
          "pldr" <pldr@...> wrote:
          >Alison chronically complains about not doing well or not
          >understanding every game she plays. It's part of her
          >game plan: she lulls the unsuspecting, like Andrew,
          >into a false sense of security, and then hammers them.

          Yep. She's like the mythological Siren all-right - luring us to
          our destruction. Sometimes you think she has little chance of
          winning - either keeping quiet or claiming she is unsure of her
          footing - then somehow she's beaten you! hehehe...

          I've done it a couple times in the past - winning Modern Art from
          only selling a few high-priced paintings and people felt I would
          not do well (the combo of a few high priced paintings and not
          spending any money did it). And Merchants of Amsterdam up on the
          North Shore where I won after not winning a single auction - kept
          quiet and people barely knew I was there until we counted the
          cash and I took 1st. It's neat, but hard to pull off!

          Of course, I've since gone to the Mark Edwards school of game
          charm - "hey, get him - he's winning!", "Ohhhh - come ON!" or "I
          got a rock!" and find the whining and lobbying to be more
          productive for me :-) hehehe...

          dber@...