Re: [Unity_Games] AUGA winners

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
      AndAgainMA@... wrote:

      >It's February, the polls are closed, and the results are in.
      >Best game of 2001: Wyatt Earp, with 8 of the 33 votes cast
      >Best board game of 2001: San Marco, with 6 of the 30 votes cast
      >Best card game of 2001: Wyatt Earp, with 15 of the 31 votes cast
      >Best 2-player game of 2001: flowerpower, with 11 of the 25
      >votes cast

      Thanks for running this again Andrew! Those that voted, have
      spoken! Congrats to the winners... See Andrew's page:

      http://members.aol.com/andagainma/AUGA2001.htm

      For details on the other finishing places which is also quite
      interesting!

      Andrew - are you going to post this on SF?

      dber@...
    • AndAgainMA@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
        Dave asks:
        >Andrew - are you going to post this on SF?

        Yes. I'm going to update the page
        http://members.aol.com/andagainma/AUGA2001.htm
        with some comments (the vote counts have been there since 1 this morning) and
        then put a post with pointer on spielfrieks

        Andrew

      • devjoe
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002

          Andrew wrote, on the web site:
          > I was a little disappointed in the turnout for best game overall.
          > Since I held the 2000 AUGAs, UG membership has more than doubled,
          > but the voting turnout didn't reflect this. One reason might be
          > that many of the newcomers to UG are also newcomers to this style
          > of gaming, and so didn't feel that they knew enough of the games
          > well enough to be able to vote.

          I'm a newcomer to Unity Games, but certainly not to this style of
          gaming. Still, I am a newcomer to the *specific* games that were up
          for voting, and so I didn't know enough of the games well enough to
          be able to vote.

          Out of the 40-odd different games I have played in various gaming
          sessions since around the time of UG3, only 3 and a half of them are
          among the 20-odd games in the poll. (The half is Who Stole Ed's
          Pants, which I sat in once on through the setup and rules, but then
          the game broke up before we actually started playing.) Of those, I
          have played two of them only once each, and the other, Dvonn, just
          twice last SSG. All of the games I have enjoyed the most
          (Carcassonne, and other older ones) were excluded from the poll, so
          the whole AUGA really has no meaning to me.

          If I had cast votes, I would have voted for Capitol (over Dvonn for
          board game, and also over Wyatt Earp for best game overall) but I
          just don't feel that one or two plays of each of three games is
          enough to cast a meaningful vote; it would be a vote more for which
          of these games were popular enough that people at the gaming sessions
          I attended wanted to play them.

          Joe
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
            devJoe wrote:

            > I'm a newcomer to Unity Games, but certainly not to this style of
            > gaming. Still, I am a newcomer to the *specific* games that were up
            > for voting, and so I didn't know enough of the games well enough to
            > be able to vote.

            Well, those games were, admittedly NEW. We run our poll at the start of the
            year - many of the Essen releases from the previous year don't get much
            chance to be played... but since we are an highly informal poll (disguised
            by Andrew's excellent organizational involvement), I think it works out
            great. It's just for fun and I like to see how games fared for UGers the
            previous year...

            As a personal note, of the 22 games listed for AUGA Game of the Year, I have
            played all but 3 of them - most at least 4 times and some 10+ times.

            dber@...
          • AndAgainMA@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
              Joe, in response to my comment on voter turnout, remarks that:
              >I'm a newcomer to Unity Games, but certainly not to this style of gaming. Still, I am a newcomer to the *specific* games that were up for voting...
              <

              Good point. Its bright side is that it highlights one of the many good things about UG and its various groups: the chance to play games hot off the presses, usually with people who are good at explaining rules, without having to do a lot of sight unseen game-buying. (Not that there's anything wrong with sight unseen game-buying.)

              By the way, of the 22 games nominated, I have played 20, and own 11, all of which I made sure to bring to the last SSG before polls closed.

              Andrew
            • hansel_ma
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002

                > Andrew wrote, on the web site:
                > > I was a little disappointed in the turnout for best game overall.
                > > Since I held the 2000 AUGAs, UG membership has more than doubled,
                > > but the voting turnout didn't reflect this. One reason might be
                > > that many of the newcomers to UG are also newcomers to this style
                > > of gaming, and so didn't feel that they knew enough of the games
                > > well enough to be able to vote.

                Maybe it's just me, but I wasn't too enthusiastic about many of the
                games on the list. I did vote, but had a real hard time picking a
                winner. Wyatt Earp (which I voted for) was definitely my favorite of
                those listed, but somehow I still felt disappointed voting for it as
                the best of the year. Last year had some really awesome games, that I
                really loved. It was hard choosing then, but because there were
                so many that were really outstanding. I just felt like this year
                there were a lot fewer games that really interested me (of course my
                real dislike of super-abstract and bidding games does eliminate a few
                already). I do like Medina a lot and I can appreciate San
                Marco, Traders of Genoa and Muskat, but I'm not really dying to play
                them. Maybe that sort of feeling led some people to abstain from
                voting??? Is there some consensus about how 2001's Nuremburg/Essen
                crop compared with 2000's or even this years: not quite as good (as
                I'm feeling) or have I also just not seen enough of these new games to
                judge fairly??

                --Alison
              • jmhuber_2000
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
                  Alison asks:

                  > Maybe it's just me, but I wasn't too enthusiastic about many of the
                  > games on the list. I did vote, but had a real hard time picking a
                  > winner. Wyatt Earp (which I voted for) was definitely my favorite
                  > of those listed, but somehow I still felt disappointed voting for
                  > it as the best of the year. Last year had some really awesome
                  > games, that I really loved. It was hard choosing then, but because
                  > there were so many that were really outstanding. I just felt like
                  > this year there were a lot fewer games that really interested me
                  > (of course my real dislike of super-abstract and bidding games does
                  > eliminate a few already). I do like Medina a lot and I can
                  > appreciate San Marco, Traders of Genoa and Muskat, but I'm not
                  > really dying to play them. Maybe that sort of feeling led some
                  > people to abstain from voting??? Is there some consensus about how
                  > 2001's Nuremburg/Essen crop compared with 2000's or even this
                  > years: not quite as good (as I'm feeling) or have I also just not
                  > seen enough of these new games to judge fairly??

                  Well, for me, Nuremberg 2000 offered Die Fuersten von Florenz,
                  Kardinal & Koenig, Ohne Furcht und Adel, and La Citta. Not a very
                  large group of games, but three I _really_ enjoy and one additional
                  good one.

                  Nuremberg 2001 offered Wyatt Earp, Evo, Africa, Medina, Gnadenlos,
                  and Volldampf. A few more, but no breakout hit; my favorite of the
                  lot is Africa, which would be 4th on my list in 2000.

                  Essen 2000 offered Kathai, Morisi, Derby, Carcassonne, Bongo, Tally
                  Ho!, and Strand Cup. A decent set of games, but another group
                  without a big hit for me - I prefer Africa to any of them.

                  Essen 2001 offered Funkenschlag, Vom Kap bis Kairo, Urland, Starship
                  Catan, Kardinal & Koenig das Kartenspiel, and Ur 1830 BC, plus
                  Kanaloa and Industrial Waste (which I haven't played yet), a very
                  deep pool with a couple of games I really like - Funkenschlag and
                  Kardinal & Koenig das Kartenspiel.

                  (I haven't included on these lists expansions, re-releases, or games
                  I enjoyed a bit lower level and either don't own or don't expect to
                  keep (such as The Gnummies or Das Amulet).)

                  Overall, there were _more_ games released in 2001 which I enjoyed,
                  and expect to continue to enjoy. There was no game released in 2001
                  which I enjoy quite as much as La Citta, but overall the level at
                  which I enjoy the 2001 releases is comparable to 2000, and I would
                  therefore rate 2001 a better year.

                  My playing tendencies are consistent with this; of the games I first
                  played in 2000, I played fewer one year later (either as an absolute
                  or percentage) than I did for any other base year since I started
                  counting. Early indications are good for the games I first played in
                  2001, in contrast.

                  Joe