AUGA winners

  • AndAgainMA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2002
      It's February, the polls are closed, and the results are in.
      Best game of 2001: Wyatt Earp, with 8 of the 33 votes cast
      Best board game of 2001: San Marco, with 6 of the 30 votes cast
      Best card game of 2001: Wyatt Earp, with 15 of the 31 votes cast
      Best 2-player game of 2001: flowerpower, with 11 of the 25 votes cast

      Note that the above numbers differ slightly from the votes received via the
      UG web site. The above numbers include votes received via email, as well as
      via the web site. I received one email vote in each category, except 2-player
      game.

      In the next few minutes, I'll update the AUGA 2001 web site with the results.
      A few hours later, I'll update it again with comments on the results. The URL
      is:
      http://members.aol.com/andagainma/AUGA2001.htm

      Thanks to all who voted,

      Andrew.

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
        AndAgainMA@... wrote:

        >It's February, the polls are closed, and the results are in.
        >Best game of 2001: Wyatt Earp, with 8 of the 33 votes cast
        >Best board game of 2001: San Marco, with 6 of the 30 votes cast
        >Best card game of 2001: Wyatt Earp, with 15 of the 31 votes cast
        >Best 2-player game of 2001: flowerpower, with 11 of the 25
        >votes cast

        Thanks for running this again Andrew! Those that voted, have
        spoken! Congrats to the winners... See Andrew's page:

        http://members.aol.com/andagainma/AUGA2001.htm

        For details on the other finishing places which is also quite
        interesting!

        Andrew - are you going to post this on SF?

        dber@...
      • AndAgainMA@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
          Dave asks:
          >Andrew - are you going to post this on SF?

          Yes. I'm going to update the page
          http://members.aol.com/andagainma/AUGA2001.htm
          with some comments (the vote counts have been there since 1 this morning) and
          then put a post with pointer on spielfrieks

          Andrew

        • devjoe
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002

            Andrew wrote, on the web site:
            > I was a little disappointed in the turnout for best game overall.
            > Since I held the 2000 AUGAs, UG membership has more than doubled,
            > but the voting turnout didn't reflect this. One reason might be
            > that many of the newcomers to UG are also newcomers to this style
            > of gaming, and so didn't feel that they knew enough of the games
            > well enough to be able to vote.

            I'm a newcomer to Unity Games, but certainly not to this style of
            gaming. Still, I am a newcomer to the *specific* games that were up
            for voting, and so I didn't know enough of the games well enough to
            be able to vote.

            Out of the 40-odd different games I have played in various gaming
            sessions since around the time of UG3, only 3 and a half of them are
            among the 20-odd games in the poll. (The half is Who Stole Ed's
            Pants, which I sat in once on through the setup and rules, but then
            the game broke up before we actually started playing.) Of those, I
            have played two of them only once each, and the other, Dvonn, just
            twice last SSG. All of the games I have enjoyed the most
            (Carcassonne, and other older ones) were excluded from the poll, so
            the whole AUGA really has no meaning to me.

            If I had cast votes, I would have voted for Capitol (over Dvonn for
            board game, and also over Wyatt Earp for best game overall) but I
            just don't feel that one or two plays of each of three games is
            enough to cast a meaningful vote; it would be a vote more for which
            of these games were popular enough that people at the gaming sessions
            I attended wanted to play them.

            Joe
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
              devJoe wrote:

              > I'm a newcomer to Unity Games, but certainly not to this style of
              > gaming. Still, I am a newcomer to the *specific* games that were up
              > for voting, and so I didn't know enough of the games well enough to
              > be able to vote.

              Well, those games were, admittedly NEW. We run our poll at the start of the
              year - many of the Essen releases from the previous year don't get much
              chance to be played... but since we are an highly informal poll (disguised
              by Andrew's excellent organizational involvement), I think it works out
              great. It's just for fun and I like to see how games fared for UGers the
              previous year...

              As a personal note, of the 22 games listed for AUGA Game of the Year, I have
              played all but 3 of them - most at least 4 times and some 10+ times.

              dber@...
            • AndAgainMA@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
                Joe, in response to my comment on voter turnout, remarks that:
                >I'm a newcomer to Unity Games, but certainly not to this style of gaming. Still, I am a newcomer to the *specific* games that were up for voting...
                <

                Good point. Its bright side is that it highlights one of the many good things about UG and its various groups: the chance to play games hot off the presses, usually with people who are good at explaining rules, without having to do a lot of sight unseen game-buying. (Not that there's anything wrong with sight unseen game-buying.)

                By the way, of the 22 games nominated, I have played 20, and own 11, all of which I made sure to bring to the last SSG before polls closed.

                Andrew
              • hansel_ma
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002

                  > Andrew wrote, on the web site:
                  > > I was a little disappointed in the turnout for best game overall.
                  > > Since I held the 2000 AUGAs, UG membership has more than doubled,
                  > > but the voting turnout didn't reflect this. One reason might be
                  > > that many of the newcomers to UG are also newcomers to this style
                  > > of gaming, and so didn't feel that they knew enough of the games
                  > > well enough to be able to vote.

                  Maybe it's just me, but I wasn't too enthusiastic about many of the
                  games on the list. I did vote, but had a real hard time picking a
                  winner. Wyatt Earp (which I voted for) was definitely my favorite of
                  those listed, but somehow I still felt disappointed voting for it as
                  the best of the year. Last year had some really awesome games, that I
                  really loved. It was hard choosing then, but because there were
                  so many that were really outstanding. I just felt like this year
                  there were a lot fewer games that really interested me (of course my
                  real dislike of super-abstract and bidding games does eliminate a few
                  already). I do like Medina a lot and I can appreciate San
                  Marco, Traders of Genoa and Muskat, but I'm not really dying to play
                  them. Maybe that sort of feeling led some people to abstain from
                  voting??? Is there some consensus about how 2001's Nuremburg/Essen
                  crop compared with 2000's or even this years: not quite as good (as
                  I'm feeling) or have I also just not seen enough of these new games to
                  judge fairly??

                  --Alison
                • jmhuber_2000
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 1, 2002
                    Alison asks:

                    > Maybe it's just me, but I wasn't too enthusiastic about many of the
                    > games on the list. I did vote, but had a real hard time picking a
                    > winner. Wyatt Earp (which I voted for) was definitely my favorite
                    > of those listed, but somehow I still felt disappointed voting for
                    > it as the best of the year. Last year had some really awesome
                    > games, that I really loved. It was hard choosing then, but because
                    > there were so many that were really outstanding. I just felt like
                    > this year there were a lot fewer games that really interested me
                    > (of course my real dislike of super-abstract and bidding games does
                    > eliminate a few already). I do like Medina a lot and I can
                    > appreciate San Marco, Traders of Genoa and Muskat, but I'm not
                    > really dying to play them. Maybe that sort of feeling led some
                    > people to abstain from voting??? Is there some consensus about how
                    > 2001's Nuremburg/Essen crop compared with 2000's or even this
                    > years: not quite as good (as I'm feeling) or have I also just not
                    > seen enough of these new games to judge fairly??

                    Well, for me, Nuremberg 2000 offered Die Fuersten von Florenz,
                    Kardinal & Koenig, Ohne Furcht und Adel, and La Citta. Not a very
                    large group of games, but three I _really_ enjoy and one additional
                    good one.

                    Nuremberg 2001 offered Wyatt Earp, Evo, Africa, Medina, Gnadenlos,
                    and Volldampf. A few more, but no breakout hit; my favorite of the
                    lot is Africa, which would be 4th on my list in 2000.

                    Essen 2000 offered Kathai, Morisi, Derby, Carcassonne, Bongo, Tally
                    Ho!, and Strand Cup. A decent set of games, but another group
                    without a big hit for me - I prefer Africa to any of them.

                    Essen 2001 offered Funkenschlag, Vom Kap bis Kairo, Urland, Starship
                    Catan, Kardinal & Koenig das Kartenspiel, and Ur 1830 BC, plus
                    Kanaloa and Industrial Waste (which I haven't played yet), a very
                    deep pool with a couple of games I really like - Funkenschlag and
                    Kardinal & Koenig das Kartenspiel.

                    (I haven't included on these lists expansions, re-releases, or games
                    I enjoyed a bit lower level and either don't own or don't expect to
                    keep (such as The Gnummies or Das Amulet).)

                    Overall, there were _more_ games released in 2001 which I enjoyed,
                    and expect to continue to enjoy. There was no game released in 2001
                    which I enjoy quite as much as La Citta, but overall the level at
                    which I enjoy the 2001 releases is comparable to 2000, and I would
                    therefore rate 2001 a better year.

                    My playing tendencies are consistent with this; of the games I first
                    played in 2000, I played fewer one year later (either as an absolute
                    or percentage) than I did for any other base year since I started
                    counting. Early indications are good for the games I first played in
                    2001, in contrast.

                    Joe