Re: Game feedback

  • cwmassey
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 30, 2002
      --- In Unity_Games@y..., "karlvonl.geo" <karlvonl@g...> wrote:
      > Dunno. Personal preference, I guess. I just don't find it fun. It's
      > not too surprising given that my favorite genre of board game is
      pure
      > abstract, with little or no randomness and hidden information.

      I can buy that. Alison and Richard aren't particularly found of
      auction games either. I'm sure Mark would tell them to go
      Funkenschlag off.

      > Thinking about it a bit, I think it might be that with ordinary
      > randomness, such as drawing cards or rolling dice, you have little
      > control over what you get, but no less so than your opponents. But
      > with bidding or "slice the pie", your opponents, in aggregate, have
      > *more* control over what *you* get than *you* do. Or at least it
      > feels that way. I prefer games where I have control over my own
      > resources, and if I lose the game, it's because my opponent
      > manipulated his/her own resources more skillfully than I did mine.

      Now here I have to disagree. It may feel that opponents have more
      control over my resources in a bidding game, but I think that
      perception is a long way from reality. It's all about choices. Using
      Ra for an example - if I call Ra I'm forcing others to react by making
      them bid for a set of tiles that they might not particularly want. By
      the same token, they can bid making me spend more than I might want.
      Then again, I can choose not to bid if this happens. Ultimately the
      choice is mine. This is no different than situations in an abstract
      game where by my play, I force an opponent to make a choice between
      two tough moves on his turn to react to my play.

      Ultimately you always have a choice in a bidding game or in the case
      of San Marco a choice about how to slice the pie in order to make the
      choice for your opponent difficult. As you said, you skillfully
      manipulate your resources (money to bid, tiles in Ra, slicing the pie,
      etc.) better than your opponents in order to win the game.
    • Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com
      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 2, 2002

        GINA

        Date: Wednesday, July 3, 2002
        Time: 1:00PM - 1:00AM EDT (GMT-04:00)

        Gaming in North Andover. A collection of UG gamers and some of
        my other gamer friends. Starts at 1pm for anybody that is
        willing and able to start early, but with most people arriving
        with the after work crowd and playing until late. All are
        welcome. RSVP if you can, especially if you're coming before 5
        or so. Email seandonohue@... for directions, or just show
        up to 27 Andrew Circle, North Andover.