Re: Valley of the Mammoths... was: SR: I Am Soooooooo Losing Game s 1/20/02

  • Matthew Horn
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 22, 2002
      Valley of the Mammoths
      I really liked the mechanisms in this game. The seasonal events (like birthing and survival) and the need to continue to feed a fluctuating population were interesting challenges. However, I really dislike the game. It is much too luck-driven for my tastes. Any time your fate is decided by a die-roll is a time when you should put the game away and flip a coin to see who wins. This game makes Can't Stop look like Go-moku. I'd like to say that the importance of the die rolls are minimized by good strategy and planning, but that's not the case either.

      I will have to revisit some of the discussions of VotM I was reading in order to figure out why other people seem to like it so much. Maybe I am missing something -- like a sense of humour (?). The artwork is fun and the event cards seem to work well -- with the exception of "traps" and "fire". Much like our neanderthal brethren, we never really understood those concepts too well. Noone should be surprised though, since Campbell does have a gradually sloping forehead and hairy, elongated arms and Constantine's constant chant of "Zugg zugg" kept us firmly planted in the Pre-cambrian Neo-Stupid Age. Adam did his best to distance his tribe from the inevitable Ringo Starr/Barbara Bach "Caveman" stereotypes and I followed the more princely path of acting out scenes from Darryl Hannah's "Clan of the Cave Idiots".

      The game appears to have an attack-the-leader problem, which was not a big deal for me since I was never the leader (really!) -- and as a result, the game can go on seemingly forever. I guess the secret is to build five camps, assume you will lose one in the next turn, and win with the four. Most of us were too busy learning basic motor skills and trying to stand upright to figure this out. I think it might be more interesting to have some other kind of end-game condition, like a time limit. ("Let's play until the next Ice Age," for example).

    • unitycam
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 22, 2002
        --- In Unity_Games@y..., Matthew Horn <mhorn@m...> wrote:
        > I think it might be more interesting to have some other kind of end-
        game condition, like a time limit. ("Let's play until the next Ice
        Age," for example).

        My only question is whether you mean the next ice age in the game or
        in real life!

        --Campbell