MVGA - Aug 31, 2000 Preliminary Report

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1 4:58 AM
      Hello all,

      Back from a fun time of gaming with the MVGA last night. We had
      8 gamers in attendance: Dave Bernazzani, Walter Hunt, Alison
      Hansel, Colin, Anton, Scott, Rich and the new guy Jake! Jake
      came in a few minutes after 7 while we were playing the Great
      Brain Robbery and we sat him down immediately and fit him into
      the turn sequence. Nice guy - glad to have met and gamed with
      him tonight. The Great Brain Robbery was mindless fun - er - I
      mean cheese brain fun - er something like that. It didn't get
      great rating marks, but anytime you can put cheese, cats or
      athlete brains in your empty head it has to be somewhat
      worthwhile.

      My big game of the evening was Die Kaufleute von Amsterdam in
      where my clock finally gave in. The little mechanical beast has
      been rumored to be the most problematic electronic device
      since... well maybe the Dark Tower clock. It's prone to breaking
      with the winding. Anyway, mine wouldn't work (skipping) when
      fully wound. We ended up just calling out the numbers for the
      auction which worked fine. The game has a lot going on, but
      Rich, Colin and Jake picked up on it quite nicely. I didn't win
      but a couple of small auctions. Jake won the game easily -
      crushing the three remaining players.

      Scores: Jake=1550, Rich=1250, Colin=1210, Dave=1210
      Ratings: Jake=7, Rich=8, Colin=8, Dave=7

      As a side comment - I fixed my clock this morning. It was the
      high level of tension when it is fully wound. I offset the
      needle a bit so you don't have to wind it the full amount to get
      it to the 200+ level. Unfortunately, this means that it no
      longer goes down to 50 but instead only 80. Since everyone pays
      80 or more, this doesn't seem like a problem and the clock is now
      fully working again (for a while at least!).

      After, we played Metro. Walter, Alison and myself played this
      tile-laying train game and generally enjoyed it. Walter and
      Alison were hitting very high scores while I was left in the
      dust. At one point, I think Walter may have had a 38 point
      connecting train branch to the center of Paris. Very impressive.
      We also talked about Unity Games I in October.

      Scores: Walter=101, Alison=95, Dave=45 (ouch!)
      Ratings: Walter=8, Alison=8, Dave=7.5

      Other games played at other tables: Giganten won by Walter,
      followed by Scott, Alison and Anton. Also Tafelrunde which was
      (I think) stopped before completion so we could split up and play
      one last game (no ratings, Alison looked like the winner there).

      Lots of fun and thanks to Walter for hosting.

      dber@...