8405Re: [Unity_Games] Re: New Shark questions

  • Mark Edwards
    Oct 1, 2001
      I posted this on rgb the other day...

      The new version has a major change to the board from the Flying
      Turtle
      edition that I own. In the Flying Turtle version there were 6 areas,
      numbered 1
      through 6 and you had a standard 6 sided die that dictated which region
      you
      placed your piece. In the new Rio Grande/Ravensburger version there are
      4 areas
      and then one central "shark" area that impinges the other 4 areas. The
      die is
      now numbered 1 through 4 but has two shark fins for the other sides,
      which
      designate that you put a piece into the central shark area.
      There's also an optional rule for use of "top" pieces. These gray
      pieces
      are sort've independent of the fate but add to the value of any chain
      they are
      part of. Once placed they stay where they are. You can place them when
      you
      roll a wild on your color selection die.
      Also, the production values in the RG/Ravensburger version are a
      huge
      upgrade over the Flying Turtle version's.
      Those are the differences I noted after opening the box and giving
      the rules
      a brief skim.

      I'm not sure how those changes will effect game play.

      As for the strategy, it's a market speculation game with a fair
      amount of luck. You try to invest in colors that have a good chance of
      increasing value while divesting yourself of ones that are vulnerable to
      serious tumbles. You can often do some of this all on your own turn,
      buy up a color that you think can increase fairly well, then hope to
      roll that color/location so as to do so, and then sell off that color
      (if it's vulnerable to devaluation, which is often the case around mid
      to end game). Unlike Acquire as chains touch the smaller chain is wiped
      from the board, so you can lose money big time if you're not careful (or
      unlucky). The placement of pieces and receiving of cash by the placing
      player reminds me of Big Boss.

      I didn't really like the game until I discovered a Basic version of
      it somewhere online. Myself, Alison, David and Dave had a terrible
      first experience with the Flying Turtle edition, although we still had a
      hoot as a group. I played it a bunch against PC opponent's and had a
      blast. I assume human opponents would make it that much more
      challenging and fun. My one big gripe is that money changes hands very
      often, no problem on a PC, but somewhat of a pain in the ass for the
      board version.

      Mark