33959Re: [Unity_Games] Consistent Conflict with Global Game Jam

  • Craig Massey
    Jan 30, 2014
      Chiming in as part of the UG steering committee.  The weekend before the Super Bowl has become the standard weekend for the event.  We have had to shift it out a weekend, but if memory serves it was due to hotel availability.  As Dave already mentioned there are pretty much conflicts every weekend which makes finding the perfect weekend a near impossible task.  There were several years when we held a summer UG event....you think finding a free winter weekend is tough.

      Anyway, thanks for the feedback and heads up.  The steering committee appreciates and does consider a wide variety of factors.  The event continues to grow and be a success.  I can't believe we've held 20 of these things.

      Best,
      Craig

      Craig W. Massey
      cwmassey@...

      On Thursday, January 30, 2014 1:47 PM, Dave Bernazzani <daveber@...> wrote:

      Heh... I need to add more smiles to my post! I was kidding about having GGJ move. But there is something happening every weekend - and there will always be something to conflit with. When we started running regular winter UG events, we avoid big conventions like Arisia and smaller gaming events that came in and around the same time. We found the ideal weekend was the week before the Superbowl. We couldn't always get the hotel for that weekend - and so we sometimes had to slide a week plus or minus... In any event, moving it will only create a different conflict.

      Ultimately, it's up to Adam, Tery and the Steerage Crew to decide if a move is in order. But I wouldn't count on it as there is little reason to move off an otherwise excellent choice of weekends (and with 800+ attending now maybe we could use a little conflict to draw people away!!)

      On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 1:42 PM, Shirley Márquez Dúlcey <mark@...> wrote:

      As for the scheduling of the Global Game Jam, it's unlikely they're willing to move. Choosing January is likely related to the fact that many universities now have an academic schedule that includes a January mini-semester that is mostly used for things other than traditional academic subjects. Having the Jam during that period is a natural fit. For students whose school doesn't use that schedule, January is early in the semester and before the intense periods of studying for midterm or final exams.

      On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 1:05 PM, <thom.goodsell@...> wrote:

      I second this idea!

      Seriously, though, UG was held on Super Bowl weekend two years ago, with the Patriots playing in the game the next day. Attendance numbers were pretty good, as I recall. Certainly, that was the last year it was held in Woburn. That said, I’m sure there were still people who couldn’t come, and anecdotally I spoke with a few people who were wrapping up early to get ready for their Super Bowl party the next day.

      In all honesty, though, having hosted hackathons before, I suspect that the overlap between Unity attendees and Global Game Jam participants is smaller than you might guess. (Though I’m also sure that the percentage of GGJ participants who might otherwise attend UG is much higher than the number of UG attendees who might otherwise participate in GGJ.)

      Thom

      On Jan 30, 2014, at 12:50 PM, karlvonl@... wrote:

      I agree! Let's have UG again this Saturday! :-)