      From: "thom.goodsell@..." <thom.goodsell@...>
      To: Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, January 18, 2014 3:50 PM
      Subject: Re: [Unity_Games] RE: TotalCon 28

      On Jan 18, 2014, at 12:49 PM, jeffrey@... wrote:

      How is Total Con for open gaming? Frankly, I just want to go play a bunch of games that I don't own with like-minded people. I'm not interested in tournaments and points.
      Well, if the big Unity event is the gold standard for open gaming, TotalCon might be in the bronze range. In my experience, around 2/3 of the games I play at TotalCon are scheduled events, with the remainder being pickup games. Partly, this may because of who I know (or rather, don’t know). Having only gone to TotalCon a couple times, most of the faces are unfamiliar to me. Since I don’t know people and TotalCon doesn’t have (and maybe couldn’t support) a “jump start” area like Unity, I find it hard to find or organize a pick-up game. So, most of the pickup games I’ve played are with the small number of people that I do know (maybe from playing in a scheduled event), where we get talking and I say, “Oh, I’ve got a copy of Claustrophobia in my room; I’ll go get it.” Later in the evening on Friday and Saturday, I’ve also been roped into the occasional pick-up game, when I’m walking through the room and someone says, “Hey, we could use another player in Libertalia—want to play?” Once, I think, I found a pick-up game by standing in front of the board game library and looking at the shelves until someone else walked up, then picking a game to play together. I’d like to see that happen more often, but so far it hasn’t.

      All that said, I generally avoid the tournaments and don’t care about the points, but I do sign up for scheduled events of games that I’m interested in. In addition, if you linger in the play area during the start of a scheduled block, there’s almost always a scheduled game with room to fit you in—especially if you don’t care about the tournament. It may not have been your first-choice of game to play, but you might not get that with open gaming, either.

      Thom

      Disclaimers:

      – As noted, I'm a relative newcomer to TotalCon. That means I don’t know a lot of the regulars, nor do I know who are regulars and who are fellow newbies. It also means I might just have not figured out how to work the room, yet.

      – I have two low-gaming kids that my wife and I take to TotalCon with us. Since we’re usually trading off time supervising them, I have less time to just wander around the gaming room looking for a game. No doubt, that has affected my ability to find a pickup game. (It’s also at least part of the reason that I don’t care about points—I don't get enough table time to be competitive even if I wanted to be.)

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic