16298Re: [Unity_Games] Walter H's Top 10 for 2003, so far

    Apr 30, 2003
      > So here goes:

      Good list Walter!

      > 7. Canal Grande. Got a lot of play during my recent trip.
      > It's 2-player San Marco, and I bought it from AS on a
      > recommendation from Scott Henshaw. I haven't played
      > the partnership 4-player, but I think that there's a
      > board game for that :-)

      Actually the 4P partnership works great - and is sufficiently different (and
      shorter) than the boardgame to warrant a look. It might be worth tagging on
      a Canal Grande to get a 2nd set (you need 2 decks) onto an Adam Spielt order
      since it can be had so cheaply. Still, I think I prefer it as a 2P game.

      >There's one flaw in Canal Grande -
      > there's no good way to reply if you don't have one card of the
      > appropriate region. It would be nice if there was a wild card or
      > preemptive "steal a card" or "cancel a vote" card to
      > prevent someone from dominating, but hey, it's only
      > a card game.

      Aaron Weissblum (the co-designer) has stated that there was an original rule
      (or maybe it was a rule they liked a lot and have since adopted) that didn't
      get into the official rules in that you can play a Gondola with another card
      to START your battle for influence EVEN if you don't have one card of the
      appropriate region. That makes things more interesting, IMO and helps
      slightly with the problem you site above.

      daveber@... (remove NOSPAM to use)
      http://www.unitygames.org (Unity Games - Eastern MA Gaming)
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic