1432Re: [Unity_Games] B&N Report or Dawn of the Brain Dead Gamers!

    Oct 4, 2000
      > [Taj ~ poker snip]
      > I'm likening Taj to Poker with respect to the card
      > play - again, I don't think that the luck factor of
      > drawn cards plays a huge part.

      Ahh... well, most games of poker we play don't involve much card play. Lots
      of Hold'em and 7-card stud variants - so there is very little actual card
      play (although a few roll-over games we play do have the Taj feel). It's
      more a matter of revealing bits of information common information and
      balancing them against privately held information. I assumed you were
      talking more on the evaluation / bluffing side. But no matter.

      As far as luck goes - there is no real luck in the cards you can choose and
      very little luck in the cards overall, but there is the next closest thing
      to luck - that is where and when your opponents decide to battle. In a 5
      player game, if two sets of two people battle in a particular round and the
      5th person happens to get a prize for one card played, I don't always
      consider that a good play - he *was* fortunate (in whatever terms you want
      to place it) that the other players were either stronger in another area or
      simply decided to pursue a different area for whatever reason. A few
      "gifts" can go a long way to winning the game. A few long battles can go a
      long way to losing it. Yes, you can always pull out of a battle, but often
      you've spent a card and can just as easily be involved in the next battle.
      Without a few one or two card "gifts", you will struggle.

      It doesn't mean I dislike the game, it's still very strong for me. But I'm
      always less prone to like games where the screwage is heavy. This is one of
      the reasons I'm not overly fond of Manhattan.

      dber@...