Re: Commentators and their occupations

  • Thomas Albert
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 20, 2011
      HI Folks,

          Now this BS with the State department and collectors of ancient materials can really be muted with proof that a government/private effort does allow both to coexist and in fact assist each other for the same reasons, to learn and study the past, either as a lay person, or as a professional.  http://finds.org.uk/documents/annualreports/2009-10.pdf  We must remember, there are many famous people in their respective fields that were viewed with distrust and now are the most respected in their professions.  Dr. Horner of Montana, who discovered the first known baby dinosaurs (the doctorate is honorary, he's self taught), or Dr. Jane Goodall, who studied chimps in the wild and went from a BA to a PhD with no masters inbetween.  There are many more examples, these two just show that it's the passionate people who follow what they love that achieve their dreams.  Just because a collector may not be an academic, makes them no less an expert in the field.  Great example of how amatures become highly regarded in the ancient coin field is David Sear.  No formal training, just many years of learning and studying.  I lay odds he does nothing but ancient coins.  A man who has dedicated his life to his hobby, or vis versa.  The thing is, what the people like Paul and the State department, is in both cases we are working with people ignorant of the subject, and no actual ground experience involving the discovery of ancient materials in either setting, as they are really one and the same.  Any archological site that is excavated by amature or professional is forever changed, and no matter how hard one tries, it is forever altered and you are unable to return it to it's original state.  Look at Ital, which can't protect it's greatest time.  Now those ancient structures are falling apart.

      Sincerely,
      Tom Albert