Re: [UniQuaria] Aquarium stand

  • L L bahr
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 9, 2013

      I don't see any problem with your idea.  Just remember you can buy plywood with different quantities of layers.  The more layers it has the more strength it has.  If you are concerned build a 2 x 4 box, put it on it's side behind the blocks so it is flush with the blocks to make up the difference.  Personally you only have 3/4 inch overlap if you split the distance and with two sheets of 3/4 inch plywood, your platform is not going to flex even without a wood box behind the blocks with the tank full of water.

      Lee

      Houston

      Is anyone familiar with putting an aquarium on cinder blocks? I have a tank that measures out at 17 1/2 width - 24 1/2 height - 5 feet long. I would like to use 3 cinder blocks on each side and two sheets of 3/4 inch plywood on top of the blocks cut to 2 inches bigger than the dimensions of the tank. The big question i have is the blocks...they measure at 16 inches long and my tank is 17 1/2 inches wide. Would the blocks & plywood hold the weight with the blocks being 1 1/2 shorter? I cannot have any blocks in the middle of the tank as there will be a wet-dry system underneath it. I would really like to set it up and take down my 30 gallon...any help would be greatly appreciated.

    • Joe
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 10, 2013
        I have 6, 55-gallon tanks supported entirely by cinder blocks on the ends ("short" sides...whatever is the proper term). The only place I have anything more than the blocks under the ends of the tanks is in 1 instance where the floor isn't level, and I used plywood spacers to level the tank.

        In fact, my favorite LFS has tanks arranged in a similar manner. According to the owner, some of the tanks have been in place for more than 15 years.

        I can't say with certainty that this would never become a problem, or that it's not a problem with bigger tanks...but it seems to work fine for me.

        Joe