Re: [UniQuaria] Aquarium stand

  • L L bahr
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 9, 2013

      I don't see any problem with your idea.  Just remember you can buy plywood with different quantities of layers.  The more layers it has the more strength it has.  If you are concerned build a 2 x 4 box, put it on it's side behind the blocks so it is flush with the blocks to make up the difference.  Personally you only have 3/4 inch overlap if you split the distance and with two sheets of 3/4 inch plywood, your platform is not going to flex even without a wood box behind the blocks with the tank full of water.

      Lee

      Houston

      Is anyone familiar with putting an aquarium on cinder blocks? I have a tank that measures out at 17 1/2 width - 24 1/2 height - 5 feet long. I would like to use 3 cinder blocks on each side and two sheets of 3/4 inch plywood on top of the blocks cut to 2 inches bigger than the dimensions of the tank. The big question i have is the blocks...they measure at 16 inches long and my tank is 17 1/2 inches wide. Would the blocks & plywood hold the weight with the blocks being 1 1/2 shorter? I cannot have any blocks in the middle of the tank as there will be a wet-dry system underneath it. I would really like to set it up and take down my 30 gallon...any help would be greatly appreciated.

    • sevenspringss
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 10, 2013
        Hi Pat,

        I'm not sure if i totally understand what you have in mind. I do see that
        you're questioning if the 16" long blocks placed at the ends of the tanks --
        but short of the tank's 17.5" width by 1.5 " would still be long enough to
        give sufficient support to the tank at its ends. Additionally, it appears
        you're planning to have 3 blocks under each side of the tank -- and I'm not
        clear if by "side" of the tank you mean the actual sides (the long 5' side of
        tghe tank) or whether you're still referring to the 17.5" wide ends of this
        tank.

        If you're placing 3 blocks the length of each of the 60" sides, one in the
        center and two towards the ends, I see no problem with end blocks being
        0.75" short at each corner as the blocks under the tank's sides near these
        corners will also be helping with the support. I do understand you don't want
        (can'T have) and support under the very center of the tank, between the two
        60" sides.

        If however, you don't intend to have any blocks under the sides (the 5'
        long SIDES [where they meet the bottom]), but only have blocks under the ends,
        I think the tank will fail over time -- and it wouldn't be totally due to
        the end blocks not supporting the full width of the tank at the end but
        because there would be absolutely no support of the tank between one end and the
        other. With no support under the plywood under the tank SIDES (not ends) at
        the sides' centers -- and I'm not talking about the tank's middle, but the
        tank's outer edges where the sides meet the bottom -- the 925 pounds that
        this tank will weigh filled will overwhelm any strength the plywood has.
        Plywood tends to warp over time, with continued weight on it, and while 2 sheets
        of 3/4" plywood may support the tank's center right now, the constant
        weight will continue to bear down on the plywood (with it having no firm support
        under it), and the silicone sealant may eventually fail and leak, not to
        mention the integrity of the tank's bottom.

        Ray</HTML>
      • Joe
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 10, 2013
          I have 6, 55-gallon tanks supported entirely by cinder blocks on the ends ("short" sides...whatever is the proper term). The only place I have anything more than the blocks under the ends of the tanks is in 1 instance where the floor isn't level, and I used plywood spacers to level the tank.

          In fact, my favorite LFS has tanks arranged in a similar manner. According to the owner, some of the tanks have been in place for more than 15 years.

          I can't say with certainty that this would never become a problem, or that it's not a problem with bigger tanks...but it seems to work fine for me.

          Joe