Re: Wonderful was Chocolate Gourami

  • donna joanna
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2012
      I've kept groups of these happy with warm tank, glass bottom (for super cleanliness) Java Moss/Najas G/  the wood mentioned...   3/5th tap (treated and set out for a couple of days0 - with 2/5th RO added,   -- airline tubing vacuuming the bottom, very slow water replacement as in-     airline tubing in a gallon jug of warm water with clip on hose to maintain very slow drip.

           AND STRIPS OF @POLY-FILTER pad set under their sponge filter.  Cut the pad in one inch strips.   I left some older Poly pad-Filter strips in the tank when I added new ones.    I hoped they kept the balance of good bacteria in the tank.    It's interesting to watch the pure white strips start to color as their absorb stuff in the water.

      Fresh BBS was standard with clean mosquito larvae in the warm months.    (Mosquito larvae tubs were cleaned and refilled with tape water every 6 weeks or so)      Finely sliced bits of frozen blood was fed also.     My recent Chocs liked Hikari MicroPellets and little bits of crumbed and recrumbled flakes.

      I've lost groups twice:   once when I had my hands in a tank the day after I'd applied a steriod cream to them.    (I later realized my hand rash was probably caused by handling frozen blood worms/  the rash disappeared completely shortly after I quit using them)     The 2nd group loss was recent -    I think something from my outdoor tub of Najas g/ Java Moss (collected from a Florida pond).      By the time I noticed some very tiny
      leach looking critters I had already infected my tanks.

      Chocs do very well for me -    as long as I don't get lazy with their water changes and don't infect their tank with stuff collected from non aquarium sources.     I suggest a species tank with a dozen fish and lots of plants.   Mine never seemed to mind a strip light over the tank and sometimes I grew top cover with Salvinia and floating leaves of the humble Banana plant.      Mine have never spawned but I've never set up for that.

      Nice to hear from you, Harry.       Donna Joanna